Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

More Creatures, Creature Deed Limits, And Changes To Elevation

• Animal numbers were increased by 10 000 on most servers as cared for and bred animals now will move less often
  • The tiles per non-human animal or monster on a deed is now considered. Disease spreads a bit easier if you have a higher ratio than 15 tiles, and you will see a bit more miscarriage. The ratio is shown for citizens in Village Info. Also in general, animals that just gave birth will not be in the mood for another mating for about 24 hours or the next restart.
  • A bug with catapulting was fixed
  • The following apply to the Elevation PvP server only:
  • You may now threaten enemy merchants on Elevation when guards are dead. If successful this will make them drop their items. You can also start trading with them. This is in order to deal with them being used as safe storage.
  • Settlement guards on the Elevation server now grows stronger the longer a raid lasts.
  • On Elevation as test only: If there are enemies in the vicinity when you log off on same kingdom deed, you will remain in game for an hour. This is in order to deal with alts being used as safe storage and promote defending or running away instead.

View the tumblr article

Village Billboard is broken

Other than that, amazing!! Keep it up, also love the fourms questions Mr Rolf has been asking

Yes.

• You may now threaten enemy merchants on Elevation when guards are dead. If successful this will make them drop their items. You can also start trading with them. This is in order to deal with them being used as safe storage.

Mmm..

Delicious.

• Animal numbers were increased by 10 000 on most servers as cared for and bred animals now will move less often

--snip--

Lets hope this means that we will start spotting extinct mobs again like pheasants.

My new croc doesnt have bred trait, changed again or bugged? Not happy to see the animal limit on deed, especially if the only reasons were for 'better' pve server hunting and possible fps losses, but if it is really needed for a long term stability type thing not much can be done. The animals limit on deed isnt too harsh imo, but no doubt this will hurt the playstyle of some.

1- The tiles per non-human animal or monster on a deed is now considered. Disease spreads a bit easier if you have a higher ratio than 15 tiles, and you will see a bit more miscarriage. The ratio is shown for citizens in Village Info. Also in general, animals that just gave birth will not be in the mood for another mating for about 24 hours or the next restart.

2- Settlement guards on the Elevation server now grows stronger the longer a raid lasts.

3- On Elevation as test only: If there are enemies in the vicinity when you log off on same kingdom deed, you will remain in game for an hour. This is in order to deal with alts being used as safe storage and promote defending or running away instead.

1- Not checked any ratios yet, but seriously? 24 hours or a server restart to rebreed? You're only encouraging breeders to keep more animals, while hurting people that are not hoarding! Not to mention you're promoting elitism and pay to win. More money = more animals.

2- Will need to be tested, doubt it'll mean much since most raiding is on home servers anyway.

3- Terrible, just terrible. Glad I don't live on Elevation, testing or not. Like no one on Elevation even wanted to try this at all...

• Like 4

Related to the animal changes, its a good first step. Hoping for more in the long run, like older horses can't carry a foal to term and food/water requirements, but so far so good.

The tiles per non-human animal or monster on a deed is now considered. Disease spreads a bit easier if you have a higher ratio than 15 tiles, and you will see a bit more miscarriage. The ratio is shown for citizens in Village Info. Also in general, animals that just gave birth will not be in the mood for another mating for about 24 hours or the next restart.

How could I prevent disease on animals I can't groom? Also is the cap only makes them diseased or I wont be able to breed until I cull some?

1- Not checked any ratios yet, but seriously? 24 hours or a server restart to rebreed? You're only encouraging breeders to keep more animals, whilehurting people that are not hoarding! Not to mention you're promoting elitism and pay to win. More money = more animals.

How does that encourage breeders keep more animals? I'm for sure will forgot to breed my animals. As for pay to win, free accounts doesn't have any use of animals mostly. They can't even ride horses.

Edited by rosedragon

• You may now threaten enemy merchants on Elevation when guards are dead. If successful this will make them drop their items. You can also start trading with them. This is in order to deal with them being used as safe storage..
  • On Elevation as test only: If there are enemies in the vicinity when you log off on same kingdom deed, you will remain in game for an hour. This is in order to deal with alts being used as safe storage and promote defending or running away instead.

View the tumblr article

At least 50% of the playerbase said they didn't want these changes, yet they still went ahead. I'm really not planning on being very active any longer.

• Like 3

Not to mention you're promoting elitism and pay to win. More money = more animals.

I don't see it as a pay to win type situation. Having an increased monetary cost for holding a 'limited' resource is probably the least harsh way to limit the resource. The ppl who REALLY want more creature will have a higher willlingness to pay, while those not wanting the large herd as bad will free up space for those who do want it more. The only way of limiting animals that would be more fair and effecient would be a sort of cap and trade type system, but i dont think that is too necessary.

It is a MADHOUSE on the deeds.

If you get a troll, he takes out templars, and thus the other animals roam free

its definitely a wild world right now

• Like 2

I don't see it as a pay to win type situation. Having an increased monetary cost for holding a 'limited' resource is probably the least harsh way to limit the resource. The ppl who REALLY want more creature will have a higher willlingness to pay, while those not wanting the large herd as bad will free up space for those who do want it more. The only way of limiting animals that would be more fair and effecient would be a sort of cap and trade type system, but i dont think that is too necessary.

I just feel it's pay to win as it benefits only those that are willing to pay for the resources. I don't want a bigger herd, I just don't want to get screwed over because of those that are hoarding.

The more this goes on, the more I agree in making breeding animals easier this way the people that don't want a bigger herd don't need the bigger herd because it doesn't take a billion horses breeding to actually get a decent small stock of horses that have more than three legs. As it stands at the moment, I have 3 named female horses and 4 named male horses, and it's stayed that way for a long time trying to replenish a killed off stock because 90% of them come out with bad traits, despite having near 70 AH. My only option to work around this is more horses, for better "luck". Remove/lessen the "luck" factor - don't need as many horses.

• Like 1

• The tiles per non-human animal or monster on a deed is now considered. Disease spreads a bit easier if you have a higher ratio than 15 tiles, and you will see a bit more miscarriage. The ratio is shown for citizens in Village Info. Also in general, animals that just gave birth will not be in the mood for another mating for about 24 hours or the next restart.

Whoever wrote this?!

Okay.. so the ratio is a Tiles pr animal:

Ratio = 30 tiles and 2 animals.. = 30/2 = 15 tiles pr animal..

seems simple enough?

Why does animals get diseased if the ratio is HIGHER 15 tiles pr animal... that just means we give our animals more space to live in.

I sincerely hope you mean a lower ratio than 15 tiles pr animal.

Please be more precise in your patch notes, not only does this seem intuitively wrong, but also very vague.

chalk up another bad move to whiners.......6 animals per tile to 15 tiles per animal???

Edited by Deth666

Also please add more articial walls/limits to this awesome sandbox games.. those things always make a game better

</sarcasm>

• Like 1

Affliction got 5000 more creatures, that is more than a 50% increase on an already mob clogged server.

I really doubt new players will be able to survive there at all now without help.

My poor spirit templar is going to need a vacation.

Elevation is particulary getting the short end of the stick for the animal cap. The amount of players per deed is much larger than the rest of wurm, and elevation deeds have the strongest need for horses in all of wurm, with their importance in pvp and thier constant dying in pvp also. Wouldnt be surprised to see raids just to steal the enemies horses, kind of harsh but kind of interesting at the same time.

• Like 2

Lets hope this means that we will start spotting extinct mobs again like pheasants.

2 outside my deed on exo.

I am hoping for bison!

• Like 1

Well, most of the new non-agros will just end up as bison eventually. There are massive amounts of bison destroying the hota steppe as it is, and if that amount doubled I doubt we would still have a steppe, we would probably have a dirt field.

Bison really need aomething that makes them worth killing, or for less of them to spawn.

Edited by Kagrenac

Well, most of the new non-agros will just end up as bison eventually. There are massive amounts of bison destroying the hota steppe as it is, and if that amount doubled I doubt we would still have a steppe, we would probably have a dirt field.

Bison really need aomething that makes them worth killing, or for less of them to spawn.

Well i guess if the pvp server had a higher demand for leather or leatherworkers they would get killed :) but atm theres just way easier ways to farm leather aswell and not enough demand for it.

So bisons just get more or less ignored.

I wonder if a pr animal type cap could be implemented.

So no 1 type of animal can take up more than 5 or 10% of the total cap. (depending on how many types of animals that exists ?)

Would make for a more diverse hunting enviroment. where in the end it doesnt just end up with a majority of bisons since few people kill them.

Edited by Julepalme
  • Like 2

Maybe he should separate horses into two lots wild and domesticated that way if the breeders fill the domesticated cap wild ones will still have a chance to spawn for the new players?

Its says deeded tiles not 1 animal per 15 tiles stop reading more into it than is there.

If you have a starter deed 11x11 thats 8 animals.

if you have a 21x21 thats 29 animals. that size deed is 1s 5c upkeep.

ok i was alittle off but its still decent for the size of the smaller deed.

Edited by Protunia

chalk up another bad move to whiners.......6 animals per tile to 15 tiles per animal???

15 is a tiny bit much. 6 is too little. ~10 would work fine though. a Basic 5x5 deed would be able to keep 10 animals, which is plenty to have cows for milk, horses to ride, and still keep a breeding program going so you don't end up with cows etc aging out and dying... and would only need to go to 5x8 to have 18 animals which allows for breeding pairs of 4-5 different animals plus foals to keep your population going. Obviously if you want to be a breeder you'll need more, but honestly that should factor into the decision anyways.

Edit: Coffee not kicking in properly... corrected.

I mean, those of us doing massive breeding programs already have 1k+ tiles deeded, or damn well should.

Edited by Duneil
  • Like 1

Its says deeded tiles not 1 animal per 15 tiles stop reading more into it than is there.

If you have a starter deed 11x11 thats 10 animals.

if you have a 21x21 thats 36 animals. that size deed is 1s 5c upkeep.

Generally when talking about deeded tiles it does not include perimeter. Base deed is 5x5.

Sign in to follow this