Sign in to follow this  
Tpikol

Ingame Pages,usefull Or Useless?

am i the only one who thinks ingame wiki pages(the ones u get when u click whats this?)shouldnt be useles? some time ago i tried to edit this page http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Item:Leggat to add information about how to make a leggat and it was edited back to just the description

They aren't useless, they're great for people who are too lazy/technically incapable of opening their browsers.

• Like 2

did u read anything other than the title?,how is it not useles to just have the description that u get with examine.

Edited by Tpikol

that's odd, that it was reverted, a lot of the other items have a quick info on use and creation.

Edited by Keldun

Yes I did read the rest actually, but I fail to see how it matters that someone edited your page back. This is how wikis work, either someone decided your information was wrong/misleading/unintelligible and removed it or there was a technical error and it was lost. Replace it or get over it.

that's odd, that it was reverted, a lot of the other items have a quick info on use and creation.

it happened twice on that page so i didnt try to change any others that are just like that

How long does it take for the reversion to occur? If it's instantaneous I'd presume it would be due to a technical error and might need looking into. Also, I'm not a professional when it comes to wikis but couldn't you check who last edited the page if you suspect someone is maliciously removing your information?

I took a look at the page history, and the reverts were appropriate.

You cannot have the in-game page simply redirect to the web page, as the in-game wiki render-engine is quite limited. What you should do is copy and paste the relevant information from the web page into the in-game page, and then remove all formatting (Other than simple things, like lists.)

Testing this sort of change can be frustrating as the in-game pages are cached, so you cannot immediately see the effect of your changes.

I fully agree we need more information in the in-line versions, but that does mean we all need to maintain both pages as changes are made.

Ah yeah, there is a button to show history next to the edit button.

nume tried to put tables there which doesn't work right ingame and was removed.

take this for example:

/>http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Item:Anvil
/>http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Item:Archery_target

they are done right.

Edited by Keldun

Did you actually read why it was reverted?

. (Undo revision 77161 by Nume (talk) - ingame wiki pages cannot display the complicated tables, which is why they have simpler pages.) (undo)

You just redirected to the browser page which can't display in the game. There's plenty of ingame pages that have more content than just the item description but it has to be presented in a different way than on the browser pages.

imo they are useful for the newer players that are to lazy to open the real wiki,but often outdated and some contain wrong info due to being outdated,would perhaps be more useful to put in the address for the real wiki lol

edit: if the information isnt kept up to date that is

Edited by jacobw

why is tables not showing up properly with the ingame wiki a problem for this pages but not for the rest,anybody that uses the ingame wiki knows that tables dont work because most of the pages that people look for ingame have tables,why is that only a problem in the whats this? pages.

everybody has to deal with broken tables anyway

If a player navigates directly to a page (eg. ingame with "wiki Leggat" or in the browser by going to "Item:Leggat") then its the players choice to go to the page even if it's inappropriate for the medium. If the game or the website links to the wrong page, or displays the contents wrong then it's a problem of the game (or the website).

The ingame wiki viewer can just show plain text. So far it does not look like any of the new developers wants to work on integrating a full html renderer so we're stuck with plain text for ingame pages. The other option is to scrap the ingame wiki altogether and tell the players to use the browser. But constantly switching between fullscreen game and the browser is not cool either and not everyone has a second screen with the browser open all day.

Now, what is so fricking hard to add plain text describing how to make the leggat?

* To create a leggat use a plank and large nails. It needs 6 more nails and a shaft to complete.

Plain text, perfectly displayed in the ingame wiki without any curly braces and broken tables.

imo they are useful for the newer players that are to lazy to open the real wiki,but often outdated and some contain wrong info due to being outdated,would perhaps be more useful to put in the address for the real wiki lol

edit: if the information isnt kept up to date that is

I'm hoping this would get implemented some time: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/74940-ingame-wiki-open-in-webbrowser

Now, what is so fricking hard to add plain text describing how to make the leggat?

* To create a leggat use a plank and large nails. It needs 6 more nails and a shaft to complete.

done