Sign in to follow this  
Telvanni

Maps

With the advent of papyrus I thought it would be a cool idea to add player made maps to the game.

Instead of it being made with everything on it make it to where the initial map has only the server the map is made on and you personally add markers to it of where you think things are, you could add road markers, village, wl/bl(for epic players) mark your alliance villages and even enemy villages. Make it an item that doesn't cross servers and requires a Papyrusmaking skill of say 50, also require you activate a reed pen and with ink to add any marks. Would create a new market and would make getting around the server you are on a bit easier. If you absolutely wanted to you could add a moving marker for you but it isn't necessary to make this a great idea

TL;DR

Introduce player-made maps that:

- require 50 Papyrusmaking skill to make

- has only the server it is made on and is blank except for the basic land

- player adds markers with a reed pen and ink of where they think things are

- Doesn't cross server borders

If you have a legit reason this wouldn't work I would love to hear it, if not please don't reply saying it would take away from what wurm is.

• Like 1

TBH I think the only way this would be put in is if it either

1) Drew the map as you moved around

2) Had to be hand drawn

3) Was linked directly to the maps updated by people on each server

I wouldn't mind it drawing as you move around. But rolf could also use a map dump to get the initial land mass, perhaps one from the start of the server if he has them.

/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/73825-add-map-or-a-craftable-map/page__hl__cartography
/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/63833-local-and-world-maps-skill/page__p__629828__hl__cartography#entry629828
/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/64967-navigation-system/page__p__640503__hl__cartography#entry640503
/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/65007-yet-another-take-on/page__hl__cartography
/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/75299-heaps-of-ideas-and-suggestions/page__hl__cartography#entry744461

...Just take one or two minutes to do some research in the forum before posting... that's all I have to say

First off I did search for it, no need to be rude. Second why would I search for cartography? I realize it is the proper term but come on.

• Like 1

My opinion is that continuous or generated maps have no place in wurm, although it would be nice to have the community maps 'semi-official' so that they may be called into game via some form of API where you can place your OWN markers on the map.

Maybe have an in-game image loader where you can select via in the options a 'map file'. This map file is loaded via an in game GUI window where you can place markers/push pins. These should be limited to your own client (maybe shareable by means of a text file dump). And under no circumstances should there be a location marker which is updated by the client. This should be your own work, i.e. moving the marker to where you THINK you are.

^Really, that many lately lol.

also

-1 to maps unless drawn by hand

I really don´t know why people keep saying that maps have no place in wurm, since people are making maps since the iron age to the present.

This video has being posted in one of those carto topics, and i really like it, something like this will be really nice to have.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fdIRfJRS1FI

Any map system would have to be hand drawn in game and crude.

No full high detail pixel maps.

Edited by Protunia

Individual unique maps might pose a problem for techlical point. Image data is large. Thus, it may not be a good idea to create a scenero where the server is dealing with thousands of unique maps. It might be possible to store player created maps client side similar to how our screen shots aren't stored server side.

Instead of it being made with everything on it make it to where the initial map has only the server the map is made on and you personally add markers to it of where you think things are

I disagree with this because it relies on gamers' out of game skills to create the maps. A short list of these skills include: drawing, spacial relationships, and memory. I think in game technologies should make it possible for anyone that wants to create a map.

I perfer a map that draws it self as you move around and uploads the results to a centralized map. This map would be available in game by opening up a map UI. We either need tools to find our location or have the map show where we are at. The accuracy of what is uploaded could depend on tools ql and skills.

@ "only hand draw crude maps with in-game pain.net like programs ....Such a thing would be a step backwards from what are using now. It should be well know by now that maps are needed. The simple fact that maps keep getting created is proof that the anti-map folks don't know whats best for Wurm. If you don't like it, exerciser your right and don't look at it.

First off I did search for it, no need to be rude. Second why would I search for cartography? I realize it is the proper term but come on.

Where did you see that I was rude? Because I was straight to the point?

If you knew me from other topics (such as the one concerning the new road system idea) you would see how rude I can be when I am :P

@KunAlt, Nice video

Edited by TheMadDoctor

@ "only hand draw crude maps with in-game pain.net like programs ....Such a thing would be a step backwards from what are using now. It should be well know by now that maps are needed. The simple fact that maps keep getting created is proof that the anti-map folks don't know whats best for Wurm. If you don't like it, exerciser your right and don't look at it.

No we will use our right to say it shouldn't be in game.

TBH a map system wouldn't be to hard to do if it was mostly based client side with a folder to drop in a picture of a crude map. The server would only have to update your client with your coordinates and then its up to you to keep your map accurate. But there are many players (me included) who like the out of game player drawn maps.

Takes away from the community making maps themselves . It's interesting to see what WE can manage without the dev's some times, like the maps, Impalong, "addons" for lack of a better term, ect. -1 from me, sorry, but I'd like to keep watching how players do it ;)

Takes away from the community making maps themselves . It's interesting to see what WE can manage without the dev's some times, like the maps, Impalong, "addons" for lack of a better term, ect. -1 from me, sorry, but I'd like to keep watching how players do it ;)

This was mentioned by someone else before in another thread.... Historically, what happened when there were not map dumps was people packetsniffed the data and rendered superaccurate maps which they then modified to try and make them look less accurate and 'hand-made'.

lol same people do -1 on every single one even though some of them have been legitly good ones, this one isnt that good though XD please look at the other ones that are more in depth about it