Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Do We Have A Problem With Alts Logging Off With Loot On Elevation?

128 members have voted

1. 1. Do we have a problem with alts logging off with loot on Elevation?

• Yes
    • No

Trying to get a hunch on how many of you think we have a problem with this on Elevation since suggestions to solve it is met with such resistance.

Also please discuss exactly how this happens and what items the alts are used to hold.

• Like 1

Anything you don't want to lose. Enchanted tools to dragon armor.

Edited by Sharkin

Not sure how you could ever stop it really. I am guessing it would be things like drake armor, rare weapons whatever that special metal is over there I guess would be one thing..idk

There is constant complaining over the matter, and its been happening in Wurm pvp long before Epic. Its even more of a concern on pvp servers that allow Basics.

Typically its gear that the owner values, and thus other players may value as well. High ql, enchants, etc

Granted its difficult to come up with something that doesn't also impact other gameplay.

EDIT: Personally its not a practice I condone or participate in. Its half the fun of picking open a chest.

Edited by Klaa

I posted this on the log off timer thread:

One very radical idea to consider: Have all characters always be logged in as NPC. That way no one can hide anything on alts, but the deed has always the full amount of protectors it can get.

I posted this on the log off timer thread:

One very radical idea to consider: Have all characters always be logged in as NPC. That way no one can hide anything on alts, but the deed has always the full amount of protectors it can get.

Or rather than that (which can result in skill lose due to death while not playing) all droppable items could in fact drop upon log out - so store your stuff in a locked large chest or something when you log out.

Edit: Actually, thinking that through, not so good - crashes and server restarts would cause HAVOK...

• Like 2

There is obviously a lot to wok out bout that idea but it could simply be that NPC character don't loose skill when dieing.

droppable items dropping would be huge problem as everything would decay and some stuff like pelts become useless over night.

Edited by Keldun
  • Like 1

I've only heard a couple of people talking about this on mrh, and tends to be items with enchants that they've paid for.

I can understand why people do it. If I was raided I'd just enchant some more, it's be a pain but hey ho you get on with the game. However not everyone has a priest or access to one who will do things for free so if you've paid silver for items you'll do what you have to do to keep them safe.

Money flow is picking up but it's not great, there's not always work to get and if you've transferred euro's into game silver what you buy with it will always be that more risky to loose.

There is obviously a lot to wok out bout that idea but it could simply be that NPC character don't loose skill when dieing.

droppable items dropping would be huge proplem as everyone would loose for example their enchanted pelts an wetstones.

So now you want to force peoples characters to stay online even after they go to bed and be able to be looted....

It's bad enough the deed is online 24/7 that cannot be protected and looted at will....

And soon merchants...

Sorry but this Idea is worse than either of Rolfs Idea's.

Forcing characters to stay online and get looted forever after they have logged off is a sure fire way to get less people to play PvP period.

Matter of fact I have never seen an MMO do this yet. because no one would bother playing it except tag team players.

Edited by Protunia

My stuff is LOOT? :blink:

hehe.. maybe is time to play on freedom... really

or no.... maybe it's time to stop playing :(

Edited by Ryaanna

So now you want to force peoples characters to stay online even after they go to bed and be able to be looted....

It's bad enough the deed is online 24/7 that cannot be protected and looted at will....

And soon merchants...

Sorry but this Idea is worse than either of Rolfs Idea's.

Forcing characters to stay online and get looted forever after they have logged off is a sure fire way to get less people to play PvP period.

Matter of fact I have never seen an MMO do this yet. because no one would bother playing it except tag team players.

Actually pro, as usuall your negativity is clouding your judgement.

I believe the suggestion is that your char stays online, acting like a guard.

Meaning you'ld have a fully geared 70fs guard defending your deed (if you had one of those), even adding mildly equipped alts would exponentially make it harder for attackers to raid you. But AI isn't the same as player controlled, so the advantage would be on the attacker. Yet your deed would be better defended.

Try to make the players PvP to have fun more instead of trying to find ways to force 100% looting of all items anywhere.

My judgement is not clouded at all today's PvP players are not into having all their RL $$$ taken from them when they are offline on that you can bet 100%.

This Idea that people have to lose more to make PvP better......really??

Try less looting for a change and forget this whole got to have it all full looting mentality.

You might actually find out more people will come to PvP.

Actually pro, as usuall your negativity is clouding your judgement.

I believe the suggestion is that your char stays online, acting like a guard.

Meaning you'ld have a fully geared 70fs guard defending your deed (if you had one of those), even adding mildly equipped alts would exponentially make it harder for attackers to raid you. But AI isn't the same as player controlled, so the advantage would be on the attacker. Yet your deed would be better defended.

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 3

Try to make the players PvP to have fun more instead of trying to find ways to force 100% looting of all items anywhere.

My judgement is not clouded at all today's PvP players are not into having all their RL $$$ taken from them when they are offline on that you can bet 100%.

Try less looting for a change and forget this whole got to have it all full looting mentality.

You might actually find out more people will come to PvP.

I do agree with that point, and is the exact reason why i don't play pvp. Don't really fancy having my stuff taken by someone attacking me while i'm off-line.

But Keldun's suggestion at least would give you a fighting chance, although you're not on.

I've avoided giving my input on the main topic, because i don't play pvp, so really can't judge.

But hell, here goes:

If raiding people while they're offline, draining their deed and looting their stuff is a valid strategy, i don't see why using alts and merchants should be an issue.

I mean its like the bully crying to his mommy that the kid he was bullying hid the lunch money before he could steal it.

• Like 3

Well I'm normally a PvP player myself, but one of the biggest reasons I didn't join in Wurm PvP was that I could loose my place not because I was the weaker fighter, but because i had to sleep or work.

But having the deed truly defeated with all citizens protecting it, even as NPC, I would agree with more.

• Like 1

Or rather than that (which can result in skill lose due to death while not playing) all droppable items could in fact drop upon log out - so store your stuff in a locked large chest or something when you log out.

Edit: Actually, thinking that through, not so good - crashes and server restarts would cause HAVOK...

I think this direction might be the way to go. Makes sense to have an armor stand and large chest by our bed, to put our stuff in before we sleep. Your inventory shouldn't drop until the logout timer is done, which i think is 5 minutes if off deed, after fighting, or enemies close by. The dropped inventory should be a special type of pile, where like a player corpse, could not be looted by same kingdom for 24 hrs. Start tools would need to stay in inventory.

This would also be a good opportunity to give at least 20 minutes warning for server restarts. Server crashes would be bad no doubt. It would also be bad for pelts, whetsones and compasses (perhaps we could get to repair these).

Any type of pvp fixes like this will have downsides, and will add more risk to everyone. The key is to find a solution where the benefit of having no more storage alts outweighs the costs of the new policy. I would certainly give up the luxury of lasting pelts and whetstones to get rid of the storage alt problem. Even the small chance of getting caught in a bad place during a server crash, which would be devestating, is a worthy price to pay for no more storage alts.

I think the dropping of the inventory might be a good solution if your going for that i would think maybe you should expand the bank to at least 10 sots so you can keep at least your best armor and weapon safe when you need to take a break or something. (well i guess alt banks could be used but at 10s a month i guess they deserve the space)

Edited by Kegan

No real problem on Elevation, its a premium server so theres a lot less of it.

I say, put all the PVP nuts that want to ###### each other of everything on their own little island with no NPC's at all except a single trader (no other traders, no merchants, no guards and no templars). Then, let them fight it out until they all die, or quit, or both. end of problem...

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 4

Basically let's say you're raiding.. The Talamo, just a deed name I made up wasn't ever real.

You and eight other raiders hit local, and there's some guy there named Stonefunk. He goes, "Well, I can't defend against these 8. #yolo #outofhere #nochance." He logs in a 2 alts, grabs all loot he possibly can, and logs off. He knows he can't defend the deed, but he can protect his gear, or some of it. Is there anything wrong with this? In my opinion not really, because it's not abusing any game mechanics, he logged in a paying premium alt, he was online, and has a right to defend and grab his gear.

Do many do this? No. Don't be misguided, I raid a lot, and I've rarely seen people do this anymore except 1 or 2 cases. Even then, I do not disagree that it's their right to grab their stuff and log.

• Like 6

I guess the way he is trying to make things he wants there to be huge members in one deed and that just is not the case in this game for the most part. The number one reason i don't play on a PvP server is that there is no way for a solo player to ever hope to survive a raid and yes that would mean losing all my hard work building up my deed along with any valuables that i have acquired or bought. I guess that is the trouble they have been using alts and merchants to store things for this very reason. Then on the other side you have the people that do like to play in larger groups and they are the ones wanting the solo players loot to be accessible and just dominating everything but once they get that done they get board and complain about there not being anything to do and wonder why the PvP numbers are dropping.

Edited by Kegan

Alts?

Mains.

Change that to Mains, and yes, yes, we have a problem.

Oh my bad I thought he wanted more people to come play PvP this is all about alts only?

Well they will use alts or what ever means to save there RL $$$ ever time they can.

The more you push this type of punishment for such things the less players who do not want risk RL $$$ you will have playing.

I guess its more about getting less players?

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

Leave it alone, everything is fine with deeds and the log off timers.

The more you push this type of punishment for such things the less players who do not want risk RL $$$ you will have playing.

Players who do not wish to risk their stuff have no business on a PVP server. In fact they have no business posting here either, as their play style is best suited for the freedom cluster.

The benefit we get from the epic cluster is the ability to craft goods insanely easier than other servers. It is stupid that ppl want this benefit, yet not have to risk 'losing all their stuff'.

• Like 1

Players who do not wish to risk their stuff have no business on a PVP server. In fact they have no business posting here either, as their play style is best suited for the freedom cluster.

The benefit we get from the epic cluster is the ability to craft goods insanely easier than other servers. It is stupid that ppl want this benefit, yet not have to risk 'losing all their stuff'.

You can ignore the fact that you have a lot of casual pvpers on epic or not.

Many of them are not into the same type of pvp as a hardcore player is.

If the idea is to get less people to come to the PvP servers keep up with the changes that punish players in a creation game that sells items for RL $$.