Sign in to follow this  
Crierd

Dog Tracking

It would be nice to integrate tracking into the game using a dog, which would increase the range in which you detected a scent trail, and doing this method would make the actual tracking proccess much quicker. The downfall of this is of course that the scent trail disappears quicker than a regular foot trail. The dog would be able to detect a scent path within about 10 tiles. How many separate paths the dog was able to find would pop up, you'd choose which scent trail you want the dog to follow, and then after your dog sniffs around, it would give you a compass direction saying which way the scent leads. After just a few hours, mabye 2-3, the scent trail should disappear, to simulate wind carrying the skin particles and etc which contain the scent away.

A quick sceario which this would be used is as follows:

17:00: Someone breaks in and steals your horses

17:25: A random person walks by your house, but does not disturb anything.

18:33: You log on and notice your horses are gone so you get your dog.

18:36: You use your dog and sniff a few times around your house and horse pen, finding 2 trails.

18:37: You decide to follow Path 1 which was the person who stole your horses.

19:12: You finally reach the end of the scent, and find someone's house, and see your stolen horses.

A piece of clothing recently worn by someone could also be used to track down them. For instance, if someone wore a cloth shirt within the past week, you give it to your dog to sniff, and then your dog can instantly detect if there's a trail for the person within the past few horus within 50 tiles. This is how dog tracking works in real life for things like prison imnates. They bring along a garment of the inmate and use bloodhounds to track them down through the woods and etc.

• Like 2

+1, "keen senses" trait on a dog could make it even more efficient.

+1. I think I like the idea.

Only problem is that tracking would be used less so skill gain for it would have to be increased to compensate.

All this really does is adds more diversity to tracking which is good.

Edited by Lightonfoot

Should work on pigs and bears (both have best scent tracking than dogs).

Should work on pigs and bears (both have best scent tracking than dogs).

Bears = truffle hunting = mushrooms

Bears = Bloodlust = finding wounded animals/players

Release the hounds!

Oh god the good days . . . +1

Edited by Druidnature

While we are on this why not make tame dogs aggro people bashing nearby (like a guard dog) i lil something for people who dont have deeds, i mean what can it hurt dogs arent really all that strong

While i wouldnt have it as stated in the OP...just a regular option for tracking on the dog, as toons do now would be cool so +1

well ^^ imagine that scenario

17:00: Someone breaks in and steals your horses and your dogs (and kills those he cant take)!

18:33: You log on and notice your horses and your dogs are gone so you get your dog.

18:36: You use your dog and sniff a few times around your house and horse pen, finding 2 trails.

19:12: You finally reach the end of the scent, and find someone's house, and see your stolen horses.

other then that ^^ i love the idea :=)

tracking skill could impact how fast the dog can catch the trait

Edited by Phyko

well ^^ imagine that scenario

17:00: Someone breaks in and steals your horses and your dogs (and kills those he cant take)!

18:33: You log on and notice your horses and your dogs are gone so you get your dog.

other then that ^^ i love the idea :=)

tracking skill could impact how fast the dog can catch the trait

this is what probably would happen....