Sign in to follow this  
Vatarr

Athletic Skill, Run And Stamina!

While running my PFT this morning I couldn't help but wonder why there wasn't an "Athletic" or body conditioning skill. I was thinking there should also be a toggle button similar to climb that increases your movement speed but also depletes stamina. The speed could be affected by the same factors as normal walking. Increasing the skill would lower the stamina drain and maybe increase speed even more (slightly). This skill is not intended to replace walk, -high enough stamina drain- nor horses -reasonable / realistic speed increase-

Then the normal max speed would need to be decreased as you can go 17km/h if naked

So I do agree that there should be a skill that effects movement speed though. Just not sure how it'll be worked in without major changes as you know everyone will end up with such skill at 1. And most likely move slow as dirt and flood the forums

I would instead make this an ability like Last Gasp. Maybe call it Sprint. The reason I wouldn't want to make it a skill is because players would want to grind it and running just to run is not a fun activity.

You don't want to remove the danger in the world by making players able to outrun everything. The point in these survival games is to use your experience and wits to survive. If there's always an automatic escape option then there's no surviving. Surviving is about making the right choices and having good enough reflexes (for Wurm). If you can't make a bad choice then there's no point in playing because you're not actually making choices.

The idea is to give us more things to think about, not to make things easier. This game can become TOO simple at times, especially if you've played for a while or live too safely. This game needs to figure out how it can be compelling for both veterans and new players without making life too boring or hard for either one.

A note about my new player experiences: For running longer distances, I enjoyed to look at the world maps online and plot my course. I did this when I first started. I left the central area and went to a far off place on the map. I'd use the water often because traveling on the land often meant going on longer courses and bumping into dangerous creatures. But as I learned more I figured out short cuts by crossing the least dangerous land areas.

Edited by Lightonfoot

Well..Body stats already have an impact on this. Higher str = less penalty when carrying more. Body stam = self explanatory

• Like 4

Well if this does happen make where you cant toggle during fights until 5 minutes have passed or if you can run you will have betterchance of getting hit because you cant block or parry this also applies with ammys so you cant sprint or use one while the other is active.

• Like 1

I would probably use it to close distance with archers. You wouldn't have to grind it, just like climbing its a lvl as you use it. You just get more efficient at it.

• Like 1

Also if monsters could charge or sprint also increased danger.

Eh, the only thing I could see being done is introducing a Run feature which would increase the amount of stamina drained, and perhaps have a negative impact on regaining for 10 seconds or so after stopping. Body Stamina is already relevant because with higher Body Stamina, the farther you can walk/run relative to your inventory weight and Body Strength.

Edited by Xallo

To be honest, I love how the run speed is already implemented, based on stats, and damage to legs makes you slower, ect. I (personally) would hate to see a run toggle.... I'm not playing skyrim lol

If a particular physical activity requires a certain amount of learned technique (such as swimming), then sure I can see some kind of specific skill.

Now running and walking become a little murky, granted running does have some technique. However, there's already a body stat that pretty well reflects one's physical condition: body stamina. Granted stamina can use work, and I personally believe more skills should be tied (thus raising) to it.

Also to gain skill one should travel a minimum number of tiles, I cannot count the number of games where I could auto walk some corner completely safe.

like the idea , but would make it just a toggleable sprint , eating all ur stamina over a certain ammount of tiles (more skill more tiles , lets say 5 tiles on lvl 1 and 50 tiles on lvl 100) it would be like an emergency plan and therfore should have some restriction on how many times u can use it (maybe once every 2 hours)

As long as Priest alts get fat and lazy and can't run without risk of a heart attack... YES!

• Like 1