Sign in to follow this  
Radni

Could Wurm Be Put On Steam?

Could wurm get a spot on steam? It's out of Beta, so steam would let it in.. We could put it in via Steam Greenlight as well.

I think it could only help the wurm get its name out there, as Steam is the "thing" for games nowadays.

I'm by no means a coder.. But could this work/would Rolf approve?

:unsure: ~~ need a bigger tutorial server Edited by Elen

:unsure: ~~ need a bigger tutorial server

True.. The influx of players would be the only issue I foresee, but if enough people but prem from it, we can make it bigger :P

This has been suggested many times before. There is no reason to put it to Steam. It would only affect negatively to Wurm.

If it would get accepted to Steam, there would be thousands/ tens of thousands of people who would try out the game. We do not have big enough servers for that ammount. Also, when (most) of them notice that Wurm takes a long time to do things, and it isn't like Elder Scrolls where you get dragon shout right away, they quit and say that Wurm is bad game. Only small ammount of those thousands are able to play and want to play game like Wurm.

It would cost, Rolf would get smaller ammount of money, the development would get slower, casual players would think Wurm is unfinished and bad game and would spread the word, the servers would get full, the ammount of lag would raise...

Just no.

• Like 2

We're not on steam because of the way the game works. I -think- I recall this being suggested before but was shot down because steam also kills compatibilities or something. I have no fear of the servers overloading, because we all know they will, but we simply don't have the kind of servers that can hold a 10k+ capacity. Most servers cap at 500, at a time which would cause major lag and map sizes are nowhere large enough to hold a major jump in overall players. I guaruntee you that the trolls WILL come out and exploit out laxed rules about deeds. Yes, it can increase our popularity, but we don't need a second SimCitylike launch where our servers are overloaded to the point of major lag, impossible to login, play, and a handfull of other issues that will arise.

Ahhh, I suppose your right. I just feel like there's some way to get Wurm out there more.. I mean, yeah 1.0 did a lot. Serenity went from 17 people tops to 130 but.. I don't know :/

Edited by Radni

Edit found it:

http://wurmonline.tu.../happy-new-year

maybe in a few years :P

With the increase in premium players we’ll be able to maintain a steady increase in quality. We’ll also be able to look at various marketing options and distribution models such as Steam or other partnerships.
Edited by Saraski

Damn double post :/

Edited by Saraski