Sign in to follow this  
Maximustehgreat

Wurm Optimization, Where Is It?

Before 1.0, I could run maybe 3 clients on slightly low settings, now I can run 2. They still run between 800k and 1000k mb memory for each client though.

Yeah it got worst after 1.0.

I also reported that when it still was on the Test server to some client devs.

Some rare time I got wurm give me blue screen... already happen twice to now from numerous login attempts. Can't replicate as I can login just fine with the same setting the next day.

Currently I managed to tone down wurm to around 500mb per client by pushing everything to super low and disable stuffs on the advanced tab (the top 4? ones that say core..). Would love to know what they actually are, and I know the warning to not touch those options... Also wonder if I can tone it down more.. I only need to run 6 alts for sermon circle :P

There was an update relatively recently where the "memory leak" issue was fixed, and the client was overall a lot smoother, using about 6-700k. Now it's back to 1gb+ like the others, don't know if that change was nerfed due to another.

Edited by Derp

prepend the Java option with -J when starting javaws. Eg javaws -J-Xincgc -J-XX:+PrintGCDetails -J-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -J-verbose:gc -J-Xloggc:%TEMP%\gc.log "http://www.wurmonlin..._unstable.jnlp"

The GC works fine for me, the normal GC actions take a low amount of time and don't appear that frequently. Full GC rarelly happens and takes a max of 1-2 seconds. At start I also thought it was the GC working like crazy and performing Full GC all the time, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

1 gig ram on my main pc unfortunately, 1.5 on my laptop. This laptop I use has Intel 440 onboard gfx and Celeron 1.3ghz. I can dual client on it still lol, 640x480 with everything off but it works. The main pc has much better hardware but it can take me 10+ disconnects to get out of Serenity starter deed, an hour with 0.2 fpm and much frustration. Otherwise the 1 gig is at 30 - 60 fps in an unpopulated area. Must be a lot to do with the ram as the Celeron can do the starter deed with the 'normal' 2 or 3 d/c in about 20 minutes. lol

One point here is I see these PCs as a good judge of current Wurm occlusion efficiency (can't find the correct term today). Apart from the increasing memory usage we've had for a while, I don't see much difference in unocupied places. If someone comes in to local anywhere, the usage goes way up, even leading to a d/c and much fps loss. Just by having one name in local.

Edited by Silures

1 gig ram on my main pc unfortunately, 1.5 on my laptop. This laptop I use has Intel 440 onboard gfx and Celeron 1.3ghz. I can dual client on it still lol, 640x480 with everything off but it works. The main pc has much better hardware but it can take me 10+ disconnects to get out of Serenity starter deed, an hour with 0.2 fpm and much frustration. Otherwise the 1 gig is at 30 - 60 fps in an unpopulated area. Must be a lot to do with the ram as the Celeron can do the starter deed with the 'normal' 2 or 3 d/c in about 20 minutes. lol

One point here is I see these PCs as a good judge of current Wurm occlusion efficiency (can't find the correct term today). Apart from the increasing memory usage we've had for a while, I don't see much difference in unocupied places. If someone comes in to local anywhere, the usage goes way up, even leading to a d/c and much fps loss. Just by having one name in local.

If you are complaining about games running slow when we are in 2013 and you have 1 gig, 1,5gig ram, then its not the game that has issues but your PC. Go buy a new one, 1 gig ram was good back in 2008. If you can run 2 clients on this I don't understand how anyone else can have issues. Edited by whykillme

I'm able to manage 3 1920x1080 max graphics on, without lag, but as soon as I start a 4th I'm unable to do anything including closing the game lol.

You may need a 64bit os and tons of ram to run more client instances, actually 32bit oses can use 2.5gigs for applications only (total memory usage is locked to 3gig and the OS itself uses around 500mb ram, also JVM needs some ram).

If you have enough ram, the graphics card and network becomes bottleneck for new clients.

Try to lower all settings and limit the framerate to the lowest (this is not an action game anyways so 30fps should be enough), in the other clients than your main character, also disable sounds on the others. By this, 4 clients can run in a 64bit OS with 8gig ram (if you have a recent graphics card, like cards above NV8800). Also restart them after a few hours of play, to reduce memory usage. (These are my private hints as I experienced with running multiple clients, not official).

1 gig ram on my main pc unfortunately, 1.5 on my laptop. This laptop I use has Intel 440 onboard gfx and Celeron 1.3ghz.

Intel GMA cards below the recent versions (3000-4000) are both using the system memory and have poor OpenGL support, so they are not so strong (also Celeron can't handle multiple program threads because it has no real multithreading support, also means lack of resources).

• Like 1

I'm not complaining, just trying to compare with other people to find out why they are getting problems. Playing on pvp servers, living right in the red zones, grinding fight skill and not being able to do it in the field. That's plenty of fun in itself but anyway, buying 4 or 8 gig soon so I can get out there and use some pent up skill. The 1 gig box I made myself in about 2006. AMD 6400be with a 6800GT due to buying a good new AGP board before the card. Still plays everything I throw at it pretty well, just needs RAM.

The point was the difference .5 gig RAM makes in Wurm regardless of the other hardware. The Intel (Iirc it's a 945, the 940 chipset doesn''t work, something like pixel shader version 2 is just too low or w/e) used to have 1 gig, I could dual but again the new .5 made things much smoother and stable. The AMD won't dual at all now and I expect the Intel at 1 gig could barely do it. Ok for grinding and enchanting with a priest alt, but neither is good with fast play with such little RAM.

Edited by Silures

same pre 1.0 running 3 clients no problems and no choppy graphics.

Now I can run 2 but there a little choppy and extreamly bad in high "lamp population" areas with lots of buildings (even with one client running).

Maybe the lighting and shadows in relation to buildings have something to do with it more than animal animations?

This could use some attention I think and fast, nothing like lag to drive players away :( especially the younger players.

Im running amd a8-5500 apu (multi core 3.2gig) with radeon hdd graphics and 8gig ram. 64bit os

Whatever the heck they did, it's worked, I'm down below 500mb for the first time pretty much ever

Edited by Aetherwalker

1,3gig of ram used on each.

SERIOUSLY!?

stop putting more things in, this is not optimal.

1,3gig of ram used on each.

SERIOUSLY!?

stop putting more things in, this is not optimal.

Rolf and team cannot into optimization

Yes please, optimization and quality control in general (bugfixing) is something we really need.

It's pretty clear and a clear consensus that after the huge implementations of 1.0 and there after the game needs a tune up and optimization desperately as the game is chugging along like a geezer with COPD and emphysema on a treadmill right now regardless of PC spec's

• Like 2

It's pretty clear and a clear consensus that after the huge implementations of 1.0 and there after the game needs a tune up and optimization desperately as the game is chugging along like a geezer with COPD and emphysema on a treadmill right now regardless of PC spec's

For once I completely agree with Joan.

• Like 1

Ditto

One of the reasons I left the game for a few months last summer was the lack of optimization and the annoying lag that came along with it. The lag has increased recently and its beginning to anoy me once again, Time to put some changes on hold and do some clean up.

WoW A worthy necromancer!!

Yeah, lets hope that they start working on it soon enough...

For once I completely agree with Joan.

I'm going to frame this monumental moment in time.

Hopefully price increase = optimization + bug fixes.