Sign in to follow this  
BustyLoliChan

Message To The Dev: First Impression Of This Game

1st: Tutorial isnt exactly finished

2nd: Fighting isnt exactly easy and at the beginning you wont be able to kill anything stronger than a rat

3rd: Armour is your friend, get some and you live longer (i suggest you join a village they can set you up with a training dummy and gear)

4th: The combat system is fairly simple, all actions run on a timer dependent on your skill, weapon ql, and weapon type (no spam clicking required just look at them and attack)

Dont worry you will get a hang of it eventually and really enjoy combat

Edited by shadowblasta

I think you chose the Affliction server, which is the server with the highest mob spawn rates.

I don't think so above, plenty of villages on most servers recruit, and allow people to be in a safe area.

I think what makes wurm is the community, though I do feel the combat could be made better (But I'm not saying turn this into a Wow.... Oh no.)

Hyena eh? Think you probably choose one of the unfriendliest servers to new people. If you do decide to keep playing & stick on the same server join a village asap. I'd suggest moving to one of the pve servers though. They're a bit friendlier.

All you need is to add fighting different types of monsters in tutorial (how age, type, awareness etc. affect their strength), and at least indicate which are the easiest monsters to fight (rats, deers?), so that people can avoid everything else they can't handle in the beginning. Plus things like 'help!' / 'guards!' commands, and just remembering where to run for help if in trouble. Also, always carry some cotton (available through botanizing, which you do on grass tiles, and don't need any tools for.

All this because this isn't your average mmorpg at all - it's very different!

New players (all players really) are constantly harassed by aggro mobs which makes Wurm life very difficult for them. There is no denying this fact and it is what the OP has recently come back to confirm that has dissuaded them from much further participation with the other apsects of the game that they find appealing. I am actually surprised that the OP has returned here again to make a further statement but that is beside the point.

The problem here as I see it is that Wurm has no zones with aggros restricted according to player ability to be able to accomplish anything other that dying when confronting them; thus their only option is to run off to some area of relative safety. If these safe areas then restrict them from building anything, obtaining crafting materials or feeding themselves, there is little of interest for them to do there other than to log off and say bye bye to the game.

Although I have long since learned how to deal with aggros without having to fight them myself or if in the mood armor up and squash them like the pests that they are, new players are not so fortunate in this respect. So my opinion is that until Wurm is coded in the more advanced aggro restricted zone types of other online games rather than the one size fits all lazy aggro rampage "survival" type of "system" that it currently has, that this will be detrimental in encouraging new players to participate in the more attractive aspects that it offers, rather than just running from and dying to aggro mobs that they have absolutely no chance of "surviving" against.

Now if things remain as they are with this so called "survival" aspect of zone 85 mobs killing level 1-5 players it will effect me little either way, since I have enough experience to either avoid lifting a finger against them or respond as a pest exterminator to slaughter them without mercy. Those that will continue to be negatively effected by this so called "survival" aspect endorsed by those most capable of dealing with this free ranging aggro population, will be the newer players who are the least capable of dealing with it.

This is just backwards thinking which will do little to make Wurm attractive to the newer players but it is surely the easiest way to code the game rather than instituting some zone type of restrictions according to player abilities vs aggro mobs, so I see little chance for this changing in the foreseeable future. With this in mind the saying "deal with it" would seem the most fitting to quote. Happy trails.

=Ayes=

Ye i think this guy is just bad at games. when i was noob i relied on guards, other players and i read wumrpedia (wiki) all the time to learn things.

This guy doesnt learn even from tens of dyings. first time you die you know that being carefull and fleeing from combat is survival, untill you get better gear, even leather armour and you start killing pigs, untill you can kill harder animals.

This guy is not made to play wurm, and wurm is being liked only by person who likes it its not for all players. and its good they will not make it like other games, this is unique and unique players for it.

Ye i think this guy is just bad at games. when i was noob i relied on guards, other players and i read wumrpedia (wiki) all the time to learn things.

This guy doesnt learn even from tens of dyings. first time you die you know that being carefull and fleeing from combat is survival, untill you get better gear, even leather armour and you start killing pigs, untill you can kill harder animals.

This guy is not made to play wurm, and wurm is being liked only by person who likes it its not for all players. and its good they will not make it like other games, this is unique and unique players for it.

Amen to that

see the lovely thing about wurm is that its not easy and that kinda filters out people who want things handed to them, In deli we have people that if they have problems they can call on the community and thats good, this game isnt a solo game so if your having trouble call on help

As a noob i rarely died because i had guards and i killed stronger mobs with tactics like using fences to trap them and patch up

Noobs need a better start area on all maps, somewhere they can grind skills in peace till they are able to roam alone and actually able to defend themselves.

You mean a village?

You mean a village?

Noobs need to understand they need a village, especially since the mob cap increase

speaking as a noobie (playing for 2-3 weeks) who started on Chaos I do not think anything new needs to be added to the servers. If anything more is needed to be added to the tutorial about food and maybe fighting. As well as a section explaining what the benefits you get for going premium and more importantly the rewards for your first time, many players including myself got duped out of their referals by not fully understanding what it was or its value.

The only thing I would like to see for new players is a free optional transfer to the next new server eligeble for character created after the launch of the last newest server. That way you get more new players starting at the launch of new servers.

It consistantly sickens me that the community of this game rabidly jumps on amy person who so much as voices an opinion that this games' core mechanics could use some serious overhaul.

Think for a second. You're thrown in a world where the only way to survive is to buy expensive gear and fight the weakest animals (usually weeks after starting), or to build practice dolls and stand in one place for hours on end hoping when you're done, you'll be capable of fending off something as scary as a rat.

PvP mechanics take zero accounting for personal skill, behind the keyboard. It's all numbers in the background, luck, and a few easily manipulated "+1's" to you're chances.

Add to that, the ability to smash someone's weeks/months of work in a matter of hours.

As I've said, as many have said... core mechanics in this game need SERIOUS overhaul. So jumping on someone and joining in the beatdown when they voice such thoughts is pretty far off base.

OP : If you've even bothered checking up on this forum since posting, contact me. I'm set up on Exodus server and can easily give you an intoduction to the game and a much more positive start.

Not all of us are rabid.

I have to agree, it's like the first two pages are of people that just wanna add insult to injury. It's like you don't want new people to come in and see if they like it.

Point #1 He's upset of dieing all the time(understandable)

Point #2 He didn't call anyone a whole string of curses, only cursed about the mechanics(which I believe we all agree on, to some extent or another)

Point #3 He prolly would had replied more, but why should he when everyone is basically doggin him. this is not the way to get new blood.

And all this happened before the creature limit rose .....