Sign in to follow this  
Rathgar

Suggestion For Updating The Forum Rules

So, I lurked the forum for a while before I started to give opinions, and this is the first thread I actually create, and it is regarding the forum Rules.

The forum rules are fine as they are now, they are nice yet flexible. However I would make a couple of additions, as the playerbase increases, or as more players turn to the forums to give ideas, look for information, trade, etc. Some rules to make the forum more readable, beyond search engine mechanics (wich I see fail in every forum I have been).

I may sound a bit too strict maybe, but I have been part of very large forums, and when forums get some speed, some filters need to be made.

Things I would add to the rules, maybe not set in stone, but as code of conduct.

1- No self Bump of your thread, if the community is not interested in the subject, let it sink and give room for topics wich are of interest.

2- No creating multiple threads in the same or diferent forum regarding the same topic.

3- Some limit to X ammount of ongoing threads in the Suggestions & Ideas sub-forum per-user. Where X is a number that people agree its fair. (to avoid clutter, and to make forumers think and develope their ideas before posting the first thing that crosses their mind.)

The way I see it, cluttering is not an issue in the most inmediate future, but it could become an issue quick if unchecked. Changes on this kind of "rules", wich actually border on simple forum etiquette also take some time to settle in the natural flow and minds of the forumers. So, those are my two cents.

• Like 1

#1: -1 selfbump should at least be allowed for any marketting thread

#2: -1 hard to enforce since the search features are so iffy

#3: -1 some people have lots of ideas, let em talk ~edit: also a person is not in control of how long their thread lasts

Edited by Elen

I'd disagree with :1, this is pretty much required in a few things. (Market, suggestions, ect) but a limit would be a good idea (out of the market area) maybe a bump every 12 hours, that's short wurm wise

2 is good, thought that was already there though.

3 I'm ehhh about, some people make very good suggestions that fly for some time. Limiting those would be bad. Though there are a few people that I know of need to lay off the suggestions....

(Expesialy when they give no details, info, what it may do, pro's, con's, ect)

Just my two copper :P

Edited by Druidnature

1.) I couldn´t aggree more, the bump-behavior in this forum is utterly annoying.

In my Opinion it should be allowed once a month per thread, not more.

++1

2.) +1

3.) +1

Edited by Void

No, no and no.

Bumping never hurt anyone, OPs will get the point when no-one responds.

Mods can merge threads if they deem it a requirement.

Mods can close and/or merge threads if they deem is a requirement.

Let's not pre-moderate and let the mods do their job.

Thanks for pointing out the market thread, When I did the first post I didnt account for market thread and Bumps, I also didnt account for threads that get edited the OP so a bump is needed there too.

@bgw well, I dont intend to drop all the weight on the users, nor I intend these suggestions to be "passed" as hard rules, since all the 3 points I mentioned would be hard to moderate with a blanket rule, as some already mentioned, there are cases where this practices are harmless, common, and sometimes even needed. I saw some user spamming threads, and others shamelessly bumping non-stop, while other topics get pushed out of the main page in an unnatural fashion. Without something written somewhere regarding some etiquette, it would be hard for moderators to moderate without controversy, or so I imagine it could happen.

I'm all for freedom of speech. Most bad ideas or old ideas rehashed get the appropriate response from the playerbase when they come up. I would like to see the search feature fixed and possibly a way to make someone look up their suggestion before presenting it.

• Like 1

I'm all for freedom of speech. Most bad ideas or old ideas rehashed get the appropriate response from the playerbase when they come up. I would like to see the search feature fixed and possibly a way to make someone look up their suggestion before presenting it.

Lol.. could see it working something like this:

• Random Player goes to the forum and creates a topic about their "new" idea on/for a feature
  • Hits the Post button
  • System returns a "We noticed you're trying to create a post about <topic>. There are already 3billion topics about this with an overall user rating of -11billionity, so we're sorry, but your topic was not created. Instead, please add your comments to one of these threads: Link 1, Link 2, Link 3"
    • or "What you talk'n 'bout Willis!?!"

On topic, I'd like to see a bit more sub topic sorting on some of the larger "bulk" threads, like suggestions thread. But the over all rules in the OP need to be tweeked to allow for so many exceptions that they would be difficult to enforce equally.

They're not bad ideas, just not easily supported given the current systems in place.

Edited by Hussars

As OP already said, they wouldn't really work as hard rules, but they are part of forum etiquette and should be common sense. Unfortunattely a lot of people lack both, so writing out a Code of Conduct might be helpfull.

Lol.. could see it working something like this:

• Random Player goes to the forum and creates a topic about their "new" idea on/for a feature
  • Hits the Post button
  • System returns a "We noticed you're trying to create a post about <topic>. There are already 3billion topics about this with an overall user rating of -11billionity, so we're sorry, but your topic was not created. Instead, please add your comments to one of these threads: Link 1, Link 2, Link 3"
    • or "What you talk'n 'bout Willis!?!"

On topic, I'd like to see a bit more sub topic sorting on some of the larger "bulk" threads, like suggestions thread. But the over all rules in the OP need to be tweeked to allow for so many exceptions that they would be difficult to enforce equally.

They're not bad ideas, just not easily supported given the current systems in place.

Never said it would stop them from making the suggestion, just make them aware of whether it has been brought up already or not, and let them see the past reactions to a suggestion.

Edited by Vroomfondel

Bah, if it's not insulting, it's not fun!

On a more serious note, easy way would just to be remapping the functionality of the "Search" system input to the Topic's subject line. So when you hit "Post" it is actually searching for your topic description. If no results are found, you "post" again.

So did you think about how many forum mod's your suggestion would require? -1

Edited by Wulfgar

My main issue with this is that while the reasons for suggesting them are all well and good, enforcing the rules is purely down to mods. There aren't really any mechanics we could use. As such it would be a lot of work, especially searching through all the threads every day to make sure there's no repetition going on. As such, I don't see the ideas as especially feasible.

-1 sorry 1 & 3 are way too much and 2 is already pretty much taken care of.

• Like 1