Sign in to follow this  
TheMadDoctor

Indy Highway Project: Magranon's Scar (v2.0)

Greetings Wurmians!

~It's been two years already that we are working on Magranon's Scar and for that occasion we made a major update on the main post, here lets have it!
---------------------------------

What is Magranon's Scar?

Magranon's Scar is one of the first wonder dedicated to a deity. Yes, in itself an highway isn't really a wonder but when it is made by true believers of Magranon, it becomes alive!

Entering by a massive gate (Front & Back), you are on a large highway cut deep into the shoulder of a massive crater, you are looking on your right... then on your left... and all you see is lava coming out of the walls and you have to walk on an unsafe path where creatures are lurking in the shadow of the pouring molten lava, waiting to devour the souls of the unprepared fools.

Magranon, God of mountain and fire, creator of lava creatures, has called upon its most dedicated followers to crack open that mountain and let the elements of fire be the proving ground of the braves.

Within its entrails, the Inn "The Sleeping Hellhound" will be visited and praised by pilgrims from everywhere in the Freedom Isles.

Who can be a worker on such project?

Anyone, we have generic surface mining for low and high skilled miners, digging for average shovel lovers, cutting trees, cleaning up the materials around, cooking, fixing, moral support...

Responsibles of the Project:

Farelle

Trusted workers if no responsibles on site:

Sidras
  Raybarg
  Merfin

Workers who participated so far:

TheMadDoctor

TheMadPriest
Sidthar
Wumpsi
Samtep
Pellandria
Xaeo
Rixk
Rtcok
Webleyvickers
Translucent
Animar
Walex
MommaTsslave
Hughmongus
Magnir
Nunatak
GodZoor
AngelGhost
Quimgatilhos
Claies
Rtcok
Shelton
Ekib
RoseDragon
DMonkey
Parashurama
Jenks
JProKash
Forras
Shads
Boobaby
Rockhopper
Tyrgrim
Livelong
Reesex
VioletEclipse
Whippy
SirFluffy

Special Thanks
  Milosanx (video)2013

Why doing it?

Everyone has their own reasons, some are compelled by Magranon, some are here for the skills, some for the fame, some out of curiosity, others for fun...

But one thing is sure, every help will be rewarded to its merit. Every little help will be displayed in the form of a statue to the name of the worker in one of the two gate-museum at the entrance on each sides of the highway. The most dedicated workers will have a colossus at their name aligned at point B against the cliff, just under the breath-taking view of "The Sleeping Hellhound".

Rules

Like everything, we like to keep that place into order, some rules are establish so it doesn't plunge into an oblivion of chaos.

#1: If you are not sure of what you are doing, ask someone who knows (mainly Farelle).
#2: Talk with Farelle to have access to the Working Station (beds, oven, forge, working tools, horse pen,...).
#3: Do not build anything that is not planned on the project along the highway (deeds, houses, guard towers,...).
#4: Do not destroy the work of others if any around. (ex.: destroying fences at the station,...).
#5: Do not mine any tunnels beside or under the highway.
#6: Do not steal what is not yours. (ex.: horse in fenced area, named-tools in working station,...)
#7: Do not plant any signs nor lamps that can't be removed by the responsibles of the site (Farelle).
#8: Visit this topic on a regular basis for further updates on the progress made and what is to be done.
#9: Still not sure of something... review rules #1 through #8 or ask away in this post.

-You don't have a tool or you are here for the skill grind? We have some speedy and/or skilling pickaxes available.
-Usually there is always meals/water at different strategic points on the working sites, if not we have all the necessary to make more at the station.
-There should be enough beds to accommodate the workers, if not we can make more.

This Project is separated into Segments of road from A to F

0h9LRsL.png

Green: Things we are working on at the moment
Orange: Things we need done but lack of workers/time
Red: Things that requires the orange things to be completed in order to continue

A: Gate (4 flat tiles deep needed)
   Milestones:     0% of the gate-museum complete

A-B: 153 tiles long at 20 slope each (up)
   Milestones: 100% speedramp to access main working area ( B ) (view)
                          0% of the buffer completed
                          1% of the segment completed

B: Buffered corner, Colossi, Inn(The Sleeping Hellhound) and a ramp to it
   Milestones:   50% of the buffer completed (see the 360° view and/or the Picture Gallery)
                      100% of the Inn platform completed (view (jan'14) / View (mar'14))
                      100% of the Inn completed (Groundfloor / 1st Floor / 2nd Floor / 3rd Floor)
                        60% of the ramp to access the Inn completed
                          0% of the colossi completed

B-C: 55 diagonal tiles long at 20/20 slope each (up) (might be revised for 14/14 and moved 3-4 tiles W-NW)
   Milestones:   50% of the segment exposed (Sideview & Topview)
                        10% of the buffer completed
                          5% of the segment completed

C: Pie shaped flat corner
   Milestones:   50% of the point exposed
                          1% of the point completed

C-D:
 -C to mid-C (sloping up)
 -mid-C: Magranon's Inner Sanctuary
 -mid-C to D (sloping down)
     Milestones: 100% of the path walk-able
                          25% of the segment exposed
                          10% of the segment completed
                            0% of the inner sanctuary completed

D: Pie shaped flat corner
   Milestones:   10% of the point exposed

D-E: xx diagonal tiles long at 20/20 slope each (down) (might be revised for 14/14)
   Milestones: 100% of the path walk-able
                        25% of the segment exposed
                          5% of the segment completed

E: Flat (pie shaped?), art?
   Milestones:   20% of the point exposed

E-F: 250 tiles long at 20 slope each (down)
   Milestones: 100% speedramp to access the working sites from the south (view)
                          0% of the buffer completed
                          1% of the segment completed

mid/end-E: Gate (4 flat tiles needed)
   Milestones:     0% of the gate-museum complete

F: Connection to current highway end

More pictures on the official "Gallery"

360° Views: (will require the microsoft Silverlight plugin)

More news to come, more pictures and everything, that project isn't going to die, be assured.

ALL HAIL MAGRANON!

Edited by TheMadDoctor
  • Like 16

That is one hell of a huge project. I like surface mining, too bad I'm not on indi, but I might sail over for some days.

Your description was a bit difficult to fully understand, some details missing/unlcread. Do I understand that right, that the displayed work at point B is just to widen the buffer zone at the work side of 5173 height? The work to mine down the 2000 something to the highway level starts afterwards?

You might want o add a warning to newer surface miners not to mine down beyond 23 slope anywhere you need to stand later, it's a pain to surface mine while climbing.

And a tip for planning the next section, in case you don't know: For diagonal roads it's also the diagonal that needs an effective slope of 20, so the edges can have bigger slopes. You need to use pythagoras to find out how much exactly, but a common example is 14+14.

Edited by Keldun

placeholder

Edited by Miretta

... Do I understand that right, that the displayed work at point B is just to widen the buffer zone at the work side of 5173 height? The work to mine down the 2000 something to the highway level starts afterwards?

Exactly! the 2033 slope will began to be mined at the level of the last picture in the animated gif.

The current work is to create the buffer on every side since no one-tile can handle a 2033 slope.

On 3/12/2013 at 7:23 PM, Miretta said:

good idea with the 23, even though i think that every miner/digger over 50 should know that already ;)

You'd be surprised what can happen when an ore miner decides to help out on the surface...

You might want o add a warning to newer surface miners not to mine down beyond 23 slope anywhere you need to stand later, it's a pain to surface mine while climbing.

So far we have been working by 20's. As in "Mine 20 slopes flat, or flat to 20 slopes. Watch all 4 borders of a corner that all is between flat and 20." This method used, the site has been mined down (most of the time) like slicing a layer of 20 from it and repeat that.

Higher skilled miners ofcourse try to devote more time to the steep side to let lower skill miners work on easier slopes. No matter what steeps, its allways as good skill surfacemining. I hit 90mining by doing only surfacemining... no vein has been abused for my skill.

• Like 1

mad, you should change the spoiler I think ;) it's probably better if people can see the map and the gif instantly ;) cause i just noticed that the gif doesnt start very fast and feels like a single picture at first

just showing some progress since we started in December 2012:

8IpeVOY.jpg

damn, Photosynth apparently doesn't work with Moonlight, can't see the panorama.

This is awesome guys.. Keep up the good work this is one major project.

Mommatsslave was originally made by me back on GV as a joke to my mom. The account kinda grew i guess

@Kelly and she is still using it :P so i guess you are her son who get her into wurm at all :P

@Maozorz LOL she has all reason to NOT be happy :P for magranon!

After seeing how the work is rapidly done I have separated the areas of the worksite so we can call out the work to do by areas.

1. South section, it goes down layer by layer.

2, the Ramp, to access easily the work areas.

3. Small mound of rock that need to be mined down as well (see area 4)

4. That section is covered by dirt, it will need to be pushed down slowly as the area 3 goes down.

6qGvUTG.png

Edited by TheMadDoctor

The minimum skill suggested (50+) could be bent if you really want to be part of that project.

The area #1 and #3 could easily be worked by low mining skill since we do mine 23 slopes layer at the time, so here is a good opportunity to grind your mining if you have low skills but still looking for some thrilling project :)

we alredy have some lower skilled miners helping us too ;) and they are doing a good job so far :D