Sign in to follow this  
Ulfrik

Witch Hunts And Religious War

Hi there. While learning a small amount about the lore and playing the game for a while, I thought that the appalling subject of Libila worship was underplayed.

According to early Christian teachings, the Devil often tempted his converts with riches and powers. These converts were said to practice or commence in ceremonies such as the Black Mass in secret under the nose of the European populous and even at times, secretly in Christian places of worship.

This is part of Libila's inscription on the Bone Altar:

"Let me sharpen you, and let me run you through the heart of my enemies.

For this I will reward you greatly. You will be given powers beyond normal mortal possibilities.

Exact my revenge anywhere, anytime and anyhow. Make it painful and frightening.

Together, let us enter the Forbidden Lands. We are all in our right to do so!"

This is not totally different from early Catholic dogma during the Dark Ages used to scare a chaotic European populous into becoming a tighter and more orderly society. With this being said, why are Libila worshipers only confined to being openly part of the HotS? Why can't they worship in secret in return for great powers promised by the dark goddess if certain rituals are met? I can see this implemented in TWO methods, though I'm sure that there are more that I'm not thinking of...

1) On certain days, moon cycles, or whatever else, the cultist should desecrate one of the three light god's domains by commiting actions such as sacrificing a tamed mountain gorilla in the domain of Magranon or desecrating an altar with the taint of Libila.

2) Seeing that players lack religious zealotry of a fictional world enough to convict a religious upstart to a crime, an obvious problem is presented. A way to bypass this problem is to make Libila worship allowed through settlement laws, which brings me to my next point...

Throughout medieval history there has not only been wars between kingdoms but also in-fighting between vassals. One of the reasons for the multitudes of these mini-wars was religion. Some went as far as to call them crusades, such as those against the Albigensians or Cathars. Religious in-fighting may be possible through the tolerance of Libila worship or even the securing of holy grounds from other villages. This may even be a jumping off point for the creation of Boroughs, Republics, Duchies, or maybe even kingdoms having sort of leadership.

Making a priest or champion gain faith or other bonuses through ousting these cultists (or 'witches') may be another counter-benefit to the witch/witch hunt implementation. Libila cultists, witches, secret priests, fallen priests, etc., could have powers such as a curse of lycanthropy or something while those who devote themselves to hunting these antagonists can have powers or abilities themselves.

Please note that when writing this, I intend not to advocate for display a representation of Christianity, witchcraft, or Satanism in the game and do not wish to advocate for any side nor condemn any religion. I also do not intend to advocate for a furthering of historical accuracy in a fantasy game setting. I hope I didn't offend any of you :)

If you have any issues or further suggestions, let them fly!

Hello I'm pagan too..

Ulfrik never ever ever bring teaching of one god or another into it when you are talking about games.. i could use soo many examples myself like how 'lib' might be like Diana because she rejected men coming into her land to destroy it, or may be that one of the other gods like fo is an example of the greenman or pan. i think any religion could if you tried hard enough.. don't bring it into this.

also why is 'witches' classes as outcast/evil... a woman dances around chanting with herbs and candles and incense.. when a priest dose it he's a good guy/accepted? have you ever watched a christian service all the way though..they use tons of herbs, oils, items, an alter, incense etc. its the same thing expect name differently, one mans prayer is another mans spell.

Edited by violetann
  • Like 2

Hello I'm pagan too..

Ulfrik never ever ever bring teaching of one god or another into it when you are talking about games.. i could use soo many examples myself like how 'lib' might be like Diana because she rejected men coming into her land to destroy it, or may be that one of the other gods like fo is an example of the greenman or pan. i think any religion could if you tried hard enough.. don't bring it into this.

also why is 'witches' classes as outcast/evil... a woman dances around chanting with herbs and candles and incense.. when a priest dose it he's a good guy/accepted? have you ever watched a christian service all the way though..they use tons of herbs, oils, items, an alter, incense etc. its the same thing expect name differently, one mans prayer is another mans spell.

Have /YOU/ ever seen a Christian church service..? I never recall seeing incense or oil and the like at my church out here in Texas. Only thing I know of is water for baptisms, and grape juice >_> <_<

My PASTOR doesn't "chant" or use "herbs".. He stands Up and reads from the Bible. Oh wait, I'm sorry.. Are hymns chanting? Singing isn't chanting IMO.

Let me know next time your in Texas, and I'll take you to my church ;)

P.S I believe your getting Christians and Catholics confused

Also, +1! I like this idea. LET'S GO ON A LIBILA WITCHHUNT!!!! ... But only if the witch weighs the same as a duck

Edited by Radni

Witch hunt is a terrible denomination, as tied to a lot of RL atrocities done in the name of one or another invisible friend or invisible threat.

@Radni, every religion has rituals wich use symbols, sometimes those symbols are even consumed during the ritual, with some very creepy meanings, violetann is right to compare "witch" rituals to those of other sects/religions who trust in the existance of magical forces in the world that can be manipulated to aid us.

@OP, +1 to your idea, but I would try to compare Libia priests or followers to the "Siths" of the SW lore instead of those of RL religions, just to avoid real religion and politics getting in the way of your thread.

5 ) You may not discuss or post items on religion, illegal drugs or the abuse of such drugs, or game exploits such as ‘warez’ (including illegal torrents), macros and all other disallowed game practices as per the game rules.

Suggestions about in game religion are absolute ok, please keep real world religions out of them. Thank you.

• Like 2