Sign in to follow this  
Archaegeo

Three Months, Five Hundred Euro - A Fair And Unbiased Analysis Of The Game

I started Wurm on 12/12/12, and after what most would consider to be a fair amount of time (35 days 16 hours played), I thought I would provide a more detailed feedback on the game and what, for me, I consider to be its Pros and Cons. I will offer examples of my pro's and suggested solutions for my con's.

Disclaimer: Yes, 500 euro in 3 months is a lot. No, I did not go into it with this much budgeted, but MMO's are my hobbie as golf is to others and I have a decent job, and as you can tell I have enjoyed playing Wurm. Hopefully I have now reached the point where my play will be self-sustaining for the most part. I want to make it clear, I do NOT feel that 500e is needed to have a good experience in game. I went through that much cause I chose to move my token on large deeds 2x in the 3 mo and to purchase labor and ships.

The below of course is all my opinion. I am not telling you what you may or may not enjoy, just providing my analysis of the game.

(Most of the below is in Hidden blocks so you can expand the sections you might care to read)

Synopsis:

Wurm Online is an incredible achievement. Written in Java, it is the only game of its kind that is playable across platforms without a lot of extra work by the developers. It is engaging, offers a lot of variety, and is one of the few games where you can literally change the face of the world. It has huge potential, but is perhaps handicapped by its small development team and two dimensional world.

My History/Credentials for those who care

I am a 45 yo male, married with one new child (which is cutting into my play time). I am a 20 year navy veteran. I have been programming since the TRS-80 Model I back in 1980 or so, starting with Basic, and then in C, C++, assembly, LPC, C#, no java. I have been playing online RPG since the days of GEnie and games like Gemstone. I have administered and coded complex systems in MUDs. I created the Hardcore Ruleset for Neverwinter Nights and was recognized by Bioware. I have beta tested or played most MMOs and know the features I like and dislike, but also know the features that draw or repel mass market players (whether I like them or not).

In Game History

I started playing on 12/12/12. I had read a little about the game from the launch announcement, but didnt get in to test it out till the launch date. I planned to treat the game like any other new game, even though free, and earmarked 50.00 for play, figuring, correctly, that it would let me get premium and see the true game. I rushed out with settlement form in hand along the coast and founded Neosophy WNW of Blossom on Pristine. I am a clueless but happy land owner.

Unfortunately, as many new players do, I planted my token too close to the shore, not allowing for thoughts of expansion, and expand I did, ending up at one point with 16x27 water tiles. So eventually I disbanded and moved the token uphill. I bought and sold another deed, made a new deed on an alt and sold it, and eventually sold Neosophy.

My current deed is 45x141 with 15 perimeter. It has 3 traders on it and I am slowly building it up in a more leisurely fashion than my first deed.

During this time I have had 3 primary characters. I sold a Vynora priest for 60usd that went back into the game (and is part of the 500 euro amount). I have also sold two deeds, both with traders on them, and that money went back into circulation ingame.

I have hired many players to perform tasks that I find too tedious for my playstyle, such as building 100s of low stone walls or building guard towers or ships. I am a jack of all trades sorta guy, jumping around everytime I am distracted by some errant thought.

Pros and Cons - I will list my #1's here, and the rest in a box you can expand.

#1 Pro - Terraforming.

Right now Wurm, without a doubt, has the monopoly on this aspect given its feature set. It is in effect, the only game in town. There are other sandbox games that allow terraforming, but they are either very early beta or alpha, look cartoony, or, like second life, really arent survival games so much as programming environments. Wurm's terraforming looks realistic, and immersive, especially given the weather and seasonal aspects in the game. Its just engaging and enthralling, and you sit down to level one tile and find yourself hours later with a huge flattened 5 story house on a 5x5 tiled area. It just sucks you in.

#1 Con - Clicking for clickings sake

There can not be a single aspect of Wurms current presentation that turns people off more than the current system that forces you to develop a repetitive stress injury (carpal tunnel). It is monotonous and as implemented, serves no purpose other than being a timesink.

I AM NOT AGAINST THE TIMESINK.

I like the fact that you cannot be uber overnight, or even in a few months. But forcing the player to click repeatedly to build 200 pegs for example, even if he has all the material on him, is not fun, is not engaging, and only appeals to severe OCD personalities. It does nothing to make the GAME more FUN or challenging.

Solution #1:

Nothing would be lost by allowing me to type in a number to be created then having it take the same amount of time it does now. People claim this would lead to more AFK players, but players are already AFK while doing most repetitive tasks in game, even if staring at the screen, they arent really reading chat, instead watching movies. This is the number one reason that people end up getting banned for macroing. Wurm's current system of massive clicking just leads people to quit or cheat. And have no doubt, while GM's do catch and ban macro'ers, the current system does nothing to stop or hinder macroing (even the random scrambling of inventory or action lists).

Solution #2:

Still have us click the same amount, but make it engaging. Allow us to have a chance to perhaps get 5 done at once if we are paying attention and react properly. Or allow us to influence the rare chance, or even cause it to occur, through our actions.

Solution #3:

Allow us to start on a final product if we have all the materials, start the appropriate timer. Save progress if we stop or move if appropriate (ie building a wall or ship major component).

Dont make us click, simply to click.

#1 Enhancement - Flush out existing systems.

If there is one thing that could be done that would most enhance the game (other than correcting Con #1), it would be to stop new development and flush out the existing systems in the game. Jewellry crafting could be more than a trader trash endeavor. Cooking used more than for raising soul depth. Ships could do so much more, mines could be enhanced, houses given more decorations. The game has a rock solid foundation in place that needs the existing systems improved, rather than new material.

Pros

Variety - Wurm's variety is pretty astounding. If you get tired of whatever you are doing, go do something else. And there is always something else that needs doing.

Graphics - They catch you by surprise sometimes. Yes some need work, but the environment can just astound you. The full moons with eclipse, blizzards, lightning storms, rainbows, just a work of art.

Skill through Use - Both a pro and a con. Pro in that this is how you should learn things in game, through use. Con in that the way the system is laid out, its encourages making things and filling up the database not because you need the item, but just to get a higher skill (see cons).

Ships - Love them. Wish I could live on them. Very well done with the way sailing uses the wind properly. Needs a lot of work though to make them true ships vice me floating on water with a different graphic around me.

Houses - Really impressive the things you can do with them. People get quite creative even though limited by the amount of choices. Like most systems, a litte love in the variety department and this would explode and we would get the people from places like EQ2 that just decorate houses all day.

Economy - This is close to being a con, but since it is mostly player based, comes out as a pro. Traders, love or hate them, are the tipping point on the economy. They allow many people to play for free, limiting income to the company, and are out of the reach of many new players. Traders aside, the dynamic market example of Pristine and Release are pretty impressive and immersive. If only outside money hadnt been able to be brought in. As it is, supply and demand are in full effect, with only inflation artifically affected by silver purchase.

Cons

2D World with heightmap - This almost beat out clicking, but not quite, since if you can live with it, the negative part is mitigated. Currently, even though it is beautifully disguised, we are playing on a 2D surface where you drop 3D objects. Even bridges when they come are going to be "houses" of a sort, objects you drop on the 2D surface. When you enter a mine you are teleported to another map, again 2D. The true drawback here of course, like with bridges, is that it makes it hard to make the world more immersive (no mountaintop lakes, etc) and to add new world features.

Solution: Recode the game in a new 3D engine. I know this isnt a viable solution really, but someday that will be what replaces Wurm.

Skill Gain grinding - The current system encourages grinding skills to get higher skills. It makes people sit at one spot rather than getting out into the world and using their skills. For some this isnt a drawback, but I imagine most of us would rather be out using our skills playing the game than simply grinding them for the next 0.01 increase.

Solution: Change to a system like Eve Online, where you can get whatever skills you want at a set rate. This does lead to other problems, but there are solutions there as well if you plan ahead (Eve had to correct over time).

Development Team - In all honesty, and this is from a viewpoint of having done much the same thing myself, this feels like a team that isnt truly commercial. I think going 1.0 in such a public manner was a mistake. Rolf controls this, which is ok, he is the lead, but he does not yet seem to be ready to loosen the reigns and allow more control be passed to other people (server restarts, etc). There are some paid staff, but it feels like more of a "distribution of donations" than a company that seeks to grow. If this were still beta, or just someones personal project, this wouldnt be an issue. But when we are treating this as a commercial enterprise, we the customers deserve a more professional approach to development, support, and in game customer care (GM's unable to individually alter a slope on a tile for example). Its a great game, and a lot of fun, but the team is not ready for primetime commercially, and that is a shame.

Solution: Not mine to suggest, but if Code AB wants to have the growth of other games and see income rise, they need to become more organized and professional.

PvP: ALMOST a Pro, but as implemented, it is not. As implemented I have had zero desire to try it. The world begs for PVP, and so much code supports it, but it needs a system of consequences that arent present (the zerg of freebies killing exp players, uber players killing indiscriminately, ability to "hide" stuff on merchants, etc).

Solution: Restructure PvP more like Eve with safe low resource areas and high risk valuable resource areas. I hate to say it, but from a PvP standpoint, Eve has hit the nail on the head. Ten years going and their subscription base is still growing. WoW can't even say that.

I might add more to the Pro and Con section as time passes.

Edited by Archaegeo
  • Like 7

"Disclaimer: Yes, 500 euro in 3 months is a lot. No, I did not go into it with this much budgeted, but MMO's are my hobbie as golf is to others and I have a decent job, and as you can tell I have enjoyed playing Wurm. Hopefully I have now reached the point where my play will be self-sustaining for the most part."

All I put in game is prem and I was self reliant after less time then that; not a criticism but just stating that's quite a tidy sum that could be served for a better purpose. I guess it depends on what you would consider self reliant myself I produce everything I need tools/weapons/food etc. and support deed through sales. Again this is not a criticism of your style of play but perhaps a focus from a player who hasn't thrown a considerable sum at a computer game may be a less biased analysis of the product.

An interesting read.

Several of the cons are areas that the team know about, and/or would like to work on. Things like rivers (and thus a more 3D environment) have been mentioned by Rolf himself, but as you say, it will require time for a considerable amount of work in the code.

A couple of your PvP cons, I'm not so sure are as prevelant as you seem to think. The zerg rush of freebies for instance. It happened once, perhaps twice. It's a sandbox game. If people wish to organise a group to do that, why shouldn't they? Just because someone has been playing for 5 years doesn't mean they should become complacent and safe. You're suggestion of high value/high risk areas is an approach kind of glanced towards with the capture the flag type HoTA, which aims to encourage some PvP with rare metals as prizes. I hope to see far more refinement in the future for this kind of thing, especially as Rolf as indicated PvP is a must for him in the game.

I personally agree that it would be nice to see development of entirely new features slowed, for more time to be sunk in to refining those aspects of the game that don't work so well. I can't be sure what will happen, but I'm always looking forward to the next updates :)

500 euros in 3 months though? Damn... Going in with a 50 Euro budget, only to be sucked in to the world to spend 10x that is testament to what Wurm is, and promises to be.

• Like 1

Epiphron, thanks for the input.

I was excited to see the updates in this mornings patch teaser, its nice the game development continues.

And yes, ending up 10x my initial investment does speak to what I consider the potential for the game.

Re PVP. Its not the zerg, its that freebies shouldnt be able to form up and at no risk to themselves gain. No risk should equal no reward. If they die, so what, they can have 5 players per email right? And we all know emails are unlimited. So they just bum rush the guy with lots to lose.

He has all risk and no reward, they have no risk and all reward. Thats the issue.

Re Eve's system of safer to more risky, doesnt mean you are "capturing the flag" there can be gold for example all over in a perimeter in the unpatrolled space.

Id love to be into the PVP in Wurm, just cant justify it yet with systems as is where there is no real consequences for actions like ganking and zerging. (Seriously, copy Eve's pvp system, it would rock in Wurm).

Tineen,

Yeah, I could have been self-reliant for much less, a simple 5x5 with 1 trader on it for example would keep you pretty much forever. But one of the things I love about Wurm is how I can have this huge tract of land.

Right now my deed is 45x141 (17s upkeep) and thats too big i know, but i love it :)

I agree with almost 100% of your points, especially with clicking. I shouldn't have to navigate through cascading menus to make a brick. This is just punishing me for the actions of macro'ing players. The worst part is the cascading menus don't even stop macro'ing, so I'm just being punished for no reason. If anything made me stop playing this game it would be carpal tunnel xP

I'm not sure about being allowed to make 100 items and get up and walk away, but I should be at least able to keybind it.

The other major thing for me is the 2D world, but I understand that changing this would be a massive undertaking and most likely involve a complete re-code and engine change. If anything "kills" wurm (obviously there will always be players as long as Rolf keeps the game up considering the low-risk development style that he uses) it will be another similar game coming along with complete terraforming, similar gameplay, but a 3D world.

Edited by HellMutt

Good read, pretty much nailed it imho.

But then again, and no offense, you pretty much just condensed into a post what many people have already voiced several times. But one more voice is always good, if we raise enough, might push for some change.

He has all risk and no reward, they have no risk and all reward. Thats the issue.
Aha, I see what you're getting at, the OP con was describing the event, I just didn't pick out the conclusion properly from that.

I've not played Eve, so won't try and draw comparisons between them. In my mind the same systems wouldn't quite work, but of course there's the potential to learn and develop our own systems from looking at them. With the risk of derailing the thread slightly - would someone be able to give me a run down of resources in Eve - where they are (in vague terms), do they regenerate? what happens to the resources?

• Like 1

dont know what you speak i have spend near 3000 euros in 2 year but is ok i go work better i spend money in wurm before i spend money in drugs and drink

• Like 11

The other major thing for me is the 2D world, but I understand that changing this would be a massive undertaking and most likely involve a complete re-code and engine change. If anything "kills" wurm (obviously there will always be players as long as Rolf keeps the game up considering the low-risk development style that he uses) it will be another similar game coming along with complete terraforming, similar gameplay, but a 3D world.

And there are several in development, but if Rolf could get the systems that are in place more flushed out, meals that give benefits, jewellry that gives benefits, house decorations, etc, Wurm could stand the onslaught EASILY imho.

And while going to true 3D might not be possible, if we could get away from such HUGE tiles, ie, smaller tiles, maybe 4-8 tiles per tile now, but let you work on up to the size of the current tile, you could make more "curved" appearances.

As for the clicking.........

be glad there are keybinds now, I remember the old days and how I don't have a carpal tunnel syndome is beyond me.

In the earliest days also we had an unlimited action queue (visible and you could manipulate it a bit) but the mechanics were somewhat different. mine mine mine, yo-yo, mine, mine, mine, yo-yo....... You could stack hundreds of actions...

To me the only isue with reducing the clicking is that it would encourage alt-sweatshops, set one up, move to next, rinse and repeat. Not keen on that.

• Like 1

To me the only isue with reducing the clicking is that it would encourage alt-sweatshops, set one up, move to next, rinse and repeat. Not keen on that.

I feel like this would only be a problem if you allowed more queueing of actions than you do now. Allowing keybinds for creating items, etc wouldn't change anything except making it easier for people who already macro to macro.

Epiphron, thanks for the input.

I was excited to see the updates in this mornings patch teaser, its nice the game development continues.

And yes, ending up 10x my initial investment does speak to what I consider the potential for the game.

Re PVP. Its not the zerg, its that freebies shouldnt be able to form up and at no risk to themselves gain. No risk should equal no reward. If they die, so what, they can have 5 players per email right? And we all know emails are unlimited. So they just bum rush the guy with lots to lose.

Re Eve's system of safer to more risky, doesnt mean you are "capturing the flag" there can be gold for example all over in a perimeter in the unpatrolled space.

Id love to be into the PVP in Wurm, just cant justify it yet with systems as is where there is no real consequences for actions like ganking and zerging. (Seriously, copy Eve's pvp system, it would rock in Wurm).

Tineen,

Yeah, I could have been self-reliant for much less, a simple 5x5 with 1 trader on it for example would keep you pretty much forever. But one of the things I love about Wurm is how I can have this huge tract of land.

Right now my deed is 45x141 (17s upkeep) and thats too big i know, but i love it :)

Again wasn't a criticism just a point, we all play in different ways its a sandbox :)

• Like 1

With the risk of derailing the thread slightly - would someone be able to give me a run down of resources in Eve - where they are (in vague terms), do they regenerate? what happens to the resources?

Take a look at:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Highsec and then http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Security_status

and then here:

http://www.eveonline.com/universe/the-world-of-eve/ the starmap shows active security ratings for space.

So basically you have safe central areas, then lower security the further you go from them. Once a certain distance out, no security but still consequences. Till you hit 0.0 security, where anything goes.

In 1.0 areas, common ores and easy npcs with low rewards, in 0.0, rare ores and very tough npcs with higher rewards.

In a nutshell.

I feel like this would only be a problem if you allowed more queueing of actions than you do now. Allowing keybinds for creating items, etc wouldn't change anything except making it easier for people who already macro to macro.

Never use an argument "Make it easier for macro'ers". Todays macro programs are so advanced it is very easy for them to do anything. The challenge to todays advanced macroers are to write programs that fool gms and anti-macro detection.

But as far as doing any single task in game, anyone given 30 minutes to read and look at examples could macro the task using todays advanced programs that do a lot of the work for you (OCR, randomizing timers, etc)

Edited by Archaegeo
  • Like 1

Even if Wurm was automated there would still be macros, just deal with it and focus on the rest of the playerbase whose hands are falling off

eee

Edited by san_tropez

Never use an argument "Make it easier for macro'ers".

Exactly, that's what I'm saying. The current "reason" we have for the obtuse interface is that it deters macro'ing. But it doesn't.

It would be slightly easier to macro keybinds, but it's not like the current system is hard to macro either. I'm making the exact opposite argument that you think I am >_> (you can't deny that it's easier to macro keybinds than casading menus, but the second part of my argument is that it's irrellevant because it's already easy enough to macro the current system).

Edited by HellMutt

Take a look at:

http://wiki.eveonlin...en/wiki/Highsec and then http://wiki.eveonlin...Security_status

and then here:

http://www.eveonline...e-world-of-eve/ the starmap shows active security ratings for space.

So basically you have safe central areas, then lower security the further you go from them. Once a certain distance out, no security but still consequences. Till you hit 0.0 security, where anything goes.

In 1.0 areas, common ores and easy npcs with low rewards, in 0.0, rare ores and very tough npcs with higher rewards.

In a nutshell.

Except it's not like that in reality, that's how they would like it to work but it dosn't.

Realistically there are 4 types of space, in order of safety level

High Sec

Alliance Held 0.0

NPC 0.0

Low Sec

this is for a number of reasons, most of which arn't relavent to this topic, but the main point being that what was supposed to be how it works isn't how it works NOT because the mechanic is faulty but because it's a sandbox and players have made it so.

Plus, and this is a major point, EVE has forced choke points, to get from one type of space to another you typically have to run a gauntlet, which with expeience is pretty easy tbh, and that dosn't seem to be the case in Wurm.

• Like 1

Eves PVP continues to develop as well, with recent changes that makes even new players able to play a role in a game where others have been skilling up for years.

One aspect, and it plays into Wurms skill system, is that you train for equipment in Eve, ie, a specific spaceship. There are only so many skills that support that ship, and once you get them to 5, you are as good as anyone playing for 6 years, from in game skill standpoint. Now hopefully the 6 year veteran will have experince from live fights on his side and know combinations and tactics you cant be aware of as a newbie, but you arent always trying to play catchup to the guy who has been pvp'ing longer. He just has more options.

whats your eve name? in a corp with a bunch of former military guys in low sec now.

I was also spending a lot of money in the game when I started, mainly because it happened to be at the same time I got a job and had my own money. When you start wurm and have the money you feel you wanna buy everything instead of crafting them. But after you get the feel of it and start making things on your own, you don't wanna pay for items.

You pay for gems ;)

• Like 1

starting with about 200 euro I cycled about 3,000+ euro through the game from 2006-2010, mostly by selling silver and buying people in game premium (before you could directly buy premium with silver). You hit the head on all the nails still sticking out that were around when I played. I like what has been done visually with the game, but the constant clicking and amount of dev control always pushed me away.

I'll give it another 2 years of forum ghosting to see what happens... it took 6 years to essentially become a visually stable game, but under the hood its still a click fest with too much character restriction (useless priest hood accounts for example which are just a money sink).

Yeah, I will give you that priest restrictions are purely a way to get people to have more than 1 premium account, but thats only because everyone in this game wants to do everything themselves <grin>

But hey, the company is entitled to make money, and you are not required to have a priest to have fun, so its all good, almost like an upsell thing.

And technically, if part of a good village, you could just have the priest account

Take a look at:

http://wiki.eveonlin...en/wiki/Highsec and then http://wiki.eveonlin...Security_status

and then here:

http://www.eveonline...e-world-of-eve/ the starmap shows active security ratings for space.

In a nutshell.

Yeah, I'd picked up the general idea of how the security worked, but I was more intrigued by the resources. What were they collected for etc.

LIke wurm, resources are collected, but then what happens? I know the they're collected in far greater quantities than we do in Wurm, but then Wurm is one planet (though we do seem to keep finding new continents :P ), while Eve has enourmous tracts of space. Are the resources in Eve finite as in Wurm, or will new asteroids etc appear in belts over time?

Once the resources are collected in Eve, what happens? Some presumeably are made in to things, much like iron is made in to tools, gold in to altars etc in Wurm. But can they be sold to Eve's equivalent of traders if such a thing exists? Is there an infinite money pool to buy resources from players?

In my mind, the Eve set up would be something like this in Wurm:

Server 1: Kind of as now. Warring kingdoms, mixture of mobs, deeds, defenses, towers etc. same resources.

Server 2: Can't plant deeds, can build stuff* including towers, a couple of more valuable resources.

Server 3: Can only build towers, tough mobs, another couple of resource types.

Server 4: Can't build anything, lots of monstrous mobs, most valuable materials.

*By build, I mean structures. You can of course build items like carts etc.

Due to the time it takes to do stuff in Wurm (As I understand it you can leave stuff ticking away while you're offline in Eve) travel between these servers would need to be fast - by portal, you collect what you can and run, or you can take the slower option (by boat) to be able to transport greater amounts.

The trouble is making the valuable stuff valuable/useful, but not game winning, otherwise the strongest/richest become unbeatable. I'm guessing that due to the player numbers in Eve, this effect is felt rather less.

It's possibly the kind of set up that could work further down the line with a larger active PvP-centered player base.

aaanyway, I'm thoroughly derailing your thread at this point with my idle ramblings, so I hall desist :D

Yeah, I will give you that priest restrictions are purely a way to get people to have more than 1 premium account, but thats only because everyone in this game wants to do everything themselves <grin>

But hey, the company is entitled to make money, and you are not required to have a priest to have fun, so its all good, almost like an upsell thing.

And technically, if part of a good village, you could just have the priest account

As far as priests in wurm go, I don't see it as something implemented just to make more money, it's to keep it a bit rarer, otherwise EVERYone would be a priest, and that would just be boring :P

As far as priests in wurm go, I don't see it as something implemented just to make more money, it's to keep it a bit rarer, otherwise EVERYone would be a priest, and that would just be boring :P

I would beg to differ. The game mechanics with priests was more exciting in Beta than post Gold. If a village of priests of different faiths could do all the tasks in wurm, it would be better than now. Or allowing a person to select their own limited base skills they want with priesthood. It might have been the way things were implemented over time to the priest cast... but I never enjoyed it one bit. While the purpose might have been to make it rare, everyone and anyone who can afford 2 accounts has a priest for the most part... meaning the only thing it has proven to be is a money sink. The only way to limit the amount of priests is to in fact hard code a set number of possible "holy" characters at any given time. But that would make people hate the game more.

I don't agree with the strategy of implementation. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. Instead of making priests limited in abilities, limit the amount of spells over time one can cast. Make it so a priest must do X amount of click fest tasks for certain spells so an average player can occasionally do something great. Heck, even up the subscription rate on "Priest accounts" if he is worried about losing money.