Sign in to follow this  
Sakai

Mining... Need Help

Hello! I have found a little place for myself to live on far from people and deed's :) That is on a mountain, only problem is that is stopping me from finishing my house is iron, I have none but when prospecting it says "Iron ore is near" but I mined once where it said 3 forward 3 left 3 right 3 back and nothing, I never managed to find any iron than I have found another good spot which said has Iron and slat, could anyone tell me how to mine to get that iron so it wont take me months to get nails?

Thank you :)

All I can say is continue mining into and around that spot, also, you are not completely restricted to having to mine for iron. You can rummage on rock tiles to get iron pieces, then smelt the same as you would regular ore chunks that were mined. Hope that helps :D

Here's some guite to prospecting with a few pictures. Basically it's not "3 left, 3 right, 3 forward..." but an area of 7 by 7 tiles, where you stand in the center, where the iron can be.

http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Prospecting

If you have ingame questions (and are on Independence Server) feel free to /tell Mordred

I really do not understand the 7 by 7 tiles, could someone explain it to me :|

Imagine a 7 tile x 7 tile square centered on the tile you prospected. Anything you prospect at that tile will be within that 7x7 square.

Edited by Farmerbob

You could dig out a 7x7 min but it may be easier to prospect surface horizontal and vertical first to see when you get the rocks message to know where the desired ore is not. If a tile says its rocks not ore, then you know 3 N, 3S, 3E, 3W is nothing but rock. Use a paint program and stamp a 7x7 block centered on you when you find ore, then make another prospect erasing it whereever it said rock. Tiles unerased are possible ore locations.

Or you could do less work than clearing a room and grid that 7x7 area leaving 2x3 blocks, put a hallway up the NS center, and two hallways to each side E and W. This is necessary when prospect is hidden and you cannot see all the 7x7 area. In this game the mines are 2D columns, so if you see one wall is ore, all the other walls of the block are also the same ore. So you just need a hallway pattern that exposes only one side of each column. The grid does have some overlaps exposing two sides of some blocks, but this is needed if the hallway gets blocked by ore, you can go around it on the grid pattern.

Edited by yarnevk

You just need to mine so that you can see at least one side of every tile in the 7x7

For Example:

QXXXXXXXQ
Z0000000Z
Z0XX0XX0Z
Z0XXMXX0Z
Z0XXXXX0Z
Z0000000Z
Z0XX0XX0Z
QXQQXQQXQ

X=unmined VISIBLE wall that is included in the area you prospected for from M

0=mined tile

M = mine entrance, for the purposes of this example, where you prospected.

Z = VISIBLE unmined walls that you didn't prospect for from M

Q = HIDDEN unmined walls that you didn't prospect for from M

Heh I just realized that this was impossible. You can't mine the tile immediately behind the tunnel entry. So I edited the pattern next to the tunnel entry. Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by Farmerbob

dont forget when you prospect it also counts the 3 tiles behind you not just forward.

Lets try and Explain the 7x7 area.

Prospecting1_zps9cd3d3d5.png

Prospect a tile and it says iron in area - light blue tile in image

The iron can be any tile in a 3 radius from you , making a 7x7 - the brown area

It wont be in the light gray area.

Now you can pinpoint it better by prospecting a little around the brown area,

Prospecting2_zps10c09784.png

Lets say the furthest you prospect it at is the dark blue tile.

Thus the iron can be in the red area only.

prospecting some more should allow you to pinpoint it better,

Another tactic is to try and tunnel the tile a bit , If it says it You fail to produce anything here. The rock is stone hard. its an ore vein.

Another tactic is to try and tunnel the tile a bit , If it says it You fail to produce anything here. The rock is stone hard. its an ore vein.

That only happens after you have tunneled enough (50 actions?) to break thru (I got lucky and my chosen entrance was ore, despite not enough prospect to narrow it down)

To make your diagram clear you head in a direction until you get a stone prospect, then you back up four to draw that second ore prospect area because the rock result is saying there is no iron for three away. That woud be the S or E edge of the second square is where prospect says rock rather than iron.

The way it is drawn if the blue square said rock only, then that means the iron is in the green area (and that intersecting gray area), not in the red area. Rock prospects need to be thought of as a dominating overlay, that you are guaranteed not to find iron in 3 away square.

Edited by yarnevk

think of minesweeper !

Now there is an app I will play - Wurm Miner. Add 2D scroller maps so you can prospect and mine at work on your phone.