Sign in to follow this  
Vein

Increase Maximum Place Depth For Concrete

Currently you cannot raise the rock level if the depth is 25 slopes under the water level. Since we cannot have bridges yet, let us raise the rock level so we can mine under roads and highways.

Uservoice: http://wurmonline.us...th-for-concrete

• Like 1

This turned into a major issue when i was trying to fix a mine that had a deep gouge in it. I could not drop the concrete in due to the depth. Is there a need for this mechanic restriction or was this the result of abuse?

+1 to dropping concrete at any water level.

• Like 1

I agree. I can only imagine how vein found this out, hes in my village. +1

I imagine it is in place so people don't try and raise their own islands out of water?

Edit: Rock islands

Edited by MetalDragon

it's also not possible to place concrete at the bottom of a 26+ slope "it would flow ..." uphill.

Edited by Keldun

Why? Concrete is so hard to make in bulk, it would take quite some time to use as much concrete as needed for it to be called greifing :/

Not sure there would be a detriment to even building a concrete island. I must admit I had not even thought about that, but at the end of the day, I doubt it would affect my sandbox experience any more than a dirt island.

• Like 1

Concrete.. Underwater...?

I am no construction guru.. But wouldn't it get so watery it couldn't dry? No sun to bake it dry, no air to dry it,.. I imagine it would get all runny and just dissolve?

I could be wrong, but.. I don't think I am. I don't recall seeing any waterproof concrete at Home Depot, because concrete comes as a powder, and needs water for it to work. Too much water and it becomes runny, too little and it won't work.

If anything ( providing my presumption is correct ) don't allow concrete to be placed in water at all.. So be happy you can do so right now.

Again I could be totally wrong about concrete underwater, but I don't believe so.

Concrete.. Underwater...?

I am no construction guru.. But wouldn't it get so watery it couldn't dry? No sun to bake it dry, no air to dry it,.. I imagine it would get all runny and just dissolve?

I could be wrong, but.. I don't think I am. I don't recall seeing any waterproof concrete at Home Depot, because concrete comes as a powder, and needs water for it to work. Too much water and it becomes runny, too little and it won't work.

If anything ( providing my presumption is correct ) don't allow concrete to be placed in water at all.. So be happy you can do so right now.

Again I could be totally wrong about concrete underwater, but I don't believe so.

Against popular beliefs Concrete hardening is a cure process, not a dry process, and most concretes (vintage or modern) cure underwater, In fact the so called hydraulic cement with extra calcium added to acelerate underwater curing is a mere reformulation of an ancient Roman recipe, the main difference being that Romans used volcanic ash to speed up their underwater concrete.

If i recall it correctly, underwater curing of concrete is also a eficient way to regulate the temperatures at curing of big mases of concrete, because the curing is a exotermic process and if the concrete amount is high enough the temeperature can reach some insane levels pretty fast.

• Like 2

Against popular beliefs Concrete hardening is a cure process, not a dry process, and most concretes (vintage or modern) cure underwater, In fact the so called hydraulic cement with extra calcium added to acelerate underwater curing is a mere reformulation of an ancient Roman recipe, the main difference being that Romans used volcanic ash to speed up their underwater concrete.

If i recall it correctly, underwater curing of concrete is also a eficient way to regulate the temperatures at curing of big mases of concrete, because the curing is a exotermic process and if the concrete amount is high enough the temeperature can reach some insane levels pretty fast.

I have never seen a more beautiful post in my life.

+1 I approve of this. Even more sandboxy sandbox! I'd be happy with the limit totally removed.

I would also like to see concrete useable at the bottom of a steep slope. I've been waiting 2.5 years for this feature to be added to solve my OCD and the 1 dirt dip in an outer wall because I surface mined two shards in a row >.< (I want to keep the rock around, not have dirt), but sadly, I can't place concrete there.

To describe better, I have rock face from N to S that is high in the East, and low in the West. TO the East, the grassy mountain continues up. To the West is my farmland. If you take away the dirt, you'll find a more or less flat area of rock that I surface mined down so I could have flat fields. It seems odd that I can't add concrete to the West border of the sloped tiles.

Thank you for correcting me! In this case I give the idea a +1

Concrete has been useless to me since after making the first few batches the excessive time sink required to create it rendered it so. Better to line up a Mag priest and have the process done in a fraction of the time is the conclusion I have come to, since time spent building in game exceeds RL money making time by the ten folds. Until the creation time on making concrete is significantly reduced, any changes to its application process will be worthless, is my way of thinking.

=Ayes=

Concrete has been useless to me since after making the first few batches the excessive time sink required to create it rendered it so. Better to line up a Mag priest and have the process done in a fraction of the time is the conclusion I have come to, since time spent building in game exceeds RL money making time by the ten folds. Until the creation time on making concrete is significantly reduced, any changes to its application process will be worthless, is my way of thinking.

=Ayes=

Sorry Ayes but I think your argument is flawed. You are essentially saying "I don't use this, therefore it is useless." - can you not see that perhaps other people value it's usefulness more and this might be beneficial to them? Clearly some consider it useful enough to commit the time to make it if there are suggestions like this coming up :)

I recently found out that the errupt and freeze abbilitly from path of power raises the NW corner by 4.

This is at least some kind of work around to fix small ditches were concrete doesn't work.

I recently found out that the errupt and freeze abbilitly from path of power raises the NW corner by 4.

This is at least some kind of work around to fix small ditches were concrete doesn't work.

/me converts to path of power.

Sorry Ayes but I think your argument is flawed. You are essentially saying "I don't use this, therefore it is useless." - can you not see that perhaps other people value it's usefulness more and this might be beneficial to them? Clearly some consider it useful enough to commit the time to make it if there are suggestions like this coming up :)

I will concede that you have a valid point there, if that were indeed how I construed my presentation; however, I still consider it to be rendered useless by the excessive time sink required to make the material. The fact that some *few* individuals may go through all the convolutions and time consuming processes required to create and apply this material does not indicate to me that the Wurm populous is embracing this product for any significant use other than just to have the ability to say that it is in game and that those who don't bother to take the time required to create it are the problem, rather than the creation process being the point of fault here.

I was and continue to be very disappointed with the time and requirements necessary to create concrete. I was very much looking forward to using it for reparing a number of mine floors around the newbie starter area mines of Green Dog, Deliverance but after mixing up 40 concrete and seeing how little was accomplished by applying it for that purpose, I was so disappointed that I have never used it since that time. This is why in my viewpoint it is useless for any significant mine floor repairs and anyone is better off just paying the 1 silver to a mag priest for each tile caved in. Then mine the tiles out again and anyone will save themselves much time and frustration for the minimal time and cost invested in comparison.

From this viewpoint and experience with concrete I stand by my statement that concrete is rendered useless by the time sink required to create it. Better to just let the mine floors remain destroyed when dug down into 30 slopes that go down below the water level than to make use of this concrete to repair them. Although I have good intentions I will not devote the excessive time required to create this concrete in order to repair damage that others have done.

If the concrete creation process were shortened to 1/8 of the time requirements and ash was eliminated from the process, then I would once again be interested to use this concrete for its intended purpose. This would be my suggestion on how to improve it. Until then, count me out for any suggestions on how to improve this product of concrete, as I find it all too discouraging that something this useful has been rendered useless by the creation process of producing it. Also I will reserve my right to criticise this product in the future until I view it as being worthwhile to use under the constraints that I have listed in my previous posts about concrete.

Good day to you Wraithglow and if you continue to view concrete as a useful and practical addition to the Wurm environment, it will not lower my esteem for you in other more agreeable circumstances.

=Ayes=

I think Ayes have a point there, concrete creation just not worth the time, in fact is too easy to destroy a mine and too dificult to repair the dmg.

I think Ayes have a point there, concrete creation just not worth the time, in fact is too easy to destroy a mine and too dificult to repair the dmg.

As it should be in my opinion, collapsing tiles was always a Freedom Mag Priest's bread and butter, you can do small jobs yourself, but for large ones you hire a licensed contractor.

I agree, concrete is hard to make. If the ash amount required was halved, maybe quartered it would be better. That aside, looking at the maps you can see many lakes split in half because of roads and highways. After raising the rock level and tunneling the rock, you could cover the surface rock with dirt, thus pave it (Only will work with road 2 tiles wide). Deeper boat canals could be produced without the need of land transport access. If people are given the ability, they will do it.. even if concrete is hard to make.