Sign in to follow this  
Orias

Give Throwing Option A Bigger Purpose! >:d

So I have seen the throw option and my cousin when playing mistakenly clicked it because he forgot he was set to range. Now I personally feel there is really no point to it, BUT there could be. I took the liberty of throwing together a quick model of a possible throwing knife which could add a slightly more interesting combat/crafting option.

throwing_knife1_zpse557010a.png

throwing_knife2_zpsd4b74e5a.png

throwing_knife3_zps1cb164dd.png

AND THIS IS THE UV MAP

Throwing_knife_uv_zps352fe132.png

Now I figured for the knowing knife it would use a wooden handle (duh) and have its own craftable blade! The blade would be made out of the basic lumps of ore etc, and use about .5kg to make and lose .1kg-.2kg per failed attempt. Also the range would be almost like that of a short bow (almost) maybe around 3-5 tiles away from target would be ideal range.

But as we all know this is just an idea/suggestion for the simple fact I felt throwing lacked a purpose besides losing the item and peeving some creatures or person.

-UPDATE-

Possible texturing? (sorry for weird look me and map had a disagreement)

throwing_knife_possibility_zps46e9153b.png

MORE DETAILS!

This one is thanks to Martynas from/on the deliverance server. The weapons could be used against certain types of armor for best effect. Knives for cloths and they would be mostly short range, Axes for leather and be about medium range, and Javelins for the higher armors and be long ranged. Not to mention the minute details most throwing weapons would need could attribute to fine carpenty to balance the handles and such "... Those smiths have too much power" -Dizzylexia

[11:06:28] <Dizzylexia> a thrown weapon could be improved just like any other fine carpentry item, just something like "This weapon is finely balanced (78) and will strike enemies harder and be more accurate"

The basic stats would be knife, axe, javelin from light damage to heavy damage. Both the axe and the knives could be made with just handles while obviously a javelin would be used with a staff. The axe heads would use a 1kg lump as to where the javelins might use something less. Speed I would assume via regular logic that the knives would be fastest to throw and have something like a base timer of 10s and say chip off .5s for every 10 levels. The axes would have something like a 15s timer and the javelins 20+s give or take.

-Javelin model and UV map-

NEED TO BE TEXTURED ANY TAKERS?!

javelin_1_rend_zpsa9c4de5f.png

javelin_2_rend_zps23fdd405.png

javelin_3_rend_zps84a1f8e8.png

javelin_4_rend_zps5af9a0a3.png

-JAVELIN UV MAP-

Javelin_uv_zps4bc86c23.png

-Throwing Axe-

This was done in 30 minutes while juggling other things so its not as good as the others. But its not supposed to be perfect.

:P

throwing_axe_rend1_zpsd64f20fc.png

throwing_axe_rend2_zpse50bf93b.png

throwing_axe_rend3_zps7b617cdd.png

-UV MAP-

throwing_axe_uv_zpse330576c.png

Edited by Orias
  • Like 1

Yeah give throwings its own skill. We should be able to make javelin aswell.

Yeah give throwings its own skill. We should be able to make javelin aswell.

That would be awesome! Javelins could have the same range as a long bow possibly! (those things go far o.o )

That would be awesome! Javelins could have the same range as a long bow possibly! (those things go far o.o )

I would fear any spear man capable of throwing his spear as far as a longbow shoots

you can already throw spears?.....and carving knifes too(great for getting rid of those rare fails)

Edited by Deth666

I would fear any spear man capable of throwing his spear as far as a longbow shoots

well maybe not AS far but close. maybe like 10 tiles if you think about view range and such...

kinda big blade for a throwing knife

throwing knifes are balanced on top and bottom

but the idea is good, ive broken a few things with missclicking throw... it's so annoying.

I like it!

But you don't even need a wooden handle, I have throwing knives in real life, and they're just a blade with a bare metal handle.

I would think all a wooden handle would do is weigh down the knife

kinda big blade for a throwing knife

throwing knifes are balanced on top and bottom

but the idea is good, ive broken a few things with missclicking throw... it's so annoying.

Well if you were to look at the blade in 3Ds max its actually just broader across the surface than the handle is but its a good bit thinner. I was trying to keep it true to form.

I like it!

But you don't even need a wooden handle, I have throwing knives in real life, and they're just a blade with a bare metal handle.

I would think all a wooden handle would do is weigh down the knife

Yea but that didnt feel "wurmy" to me plus I don't think full tang blades were common around the era wurm would be set in.

Only thing i can see is for them to be any kind of viable they would have to weigh less, an archery can carry 41 arrows in a quiver (5.99KG) whereas even the throwing knife blades (no handle) would weigh 20.5KG to carry 41, i dread to think what the weights on Axes or Javelins would be.

13302.jpg

this knife is lighter because there are holes in the middle so it is evenly balanced with the blade :P

i got this knife for 10euros lol.

Something like that, but more like year 1030.

Edited by silakka
  • Like 1

I'm sure the devs have looked at this before, and maybe for a possible update way-down the road. I hope it does get put in... would make for a lot more fun, I'd love to throw weapons at them spiders. heh

13302.jpg

this knife is lighter because there are holes in the middle so it is evenly balanced with the blade :P

i got this knife for 10euros lol.

Something like that, but more like year 1030.

All it would take is to flatten the hand pull in the blade more and essentially "punch" holes in the handle for the knives. make it all metal texture. But i wanted it to look "wurmy" so i went wooden.

I thing I might go full tang with nub for handle and a leaf blade and see how that looks :3

Wood handle or not, this is a good idea, you could even model it for Rolf :P ( epic 3d modeling )

Wood handle or not, this is a good idea, you could even model it for Rolf :P ( epic 3d modeling )

Haha thanks, that would be kinda cool

A bit summing up

Throwing knives:

most effective against cloth armors

best use in close range

does least damage

Throwing axes:

most effective against leather armors

best use in medium range

moderate damage

Javelins:

most effective against chain armors

best use in long range

high damage

Certain throwings will give more damage for armors ( knives for cloth )

Timers should be long becouse these weapons are hazardous

Javelins and axes can be used in short range but their timer will be longer, same with knives.

New weapons skill throwing. Those will affect timers and accuracy.

Throwing spears might be same as javelins but with longer range.

Well actually any knife, regardless of how its designed, can be "thrown" with accuracy. Butcher knives can be thrown into log rounds as easily as any "throwing" knife. The manner in which one releases is of far more significance.

Granted release techniques differ widely depending on the knife's design. The main thing is knowing the factors involved and how to adjust for, which of course lends to a lot of practice.

In addition, regardless of the skill level, it can be damned distracting with anything thrown at you. However, theres really nothing atm in Wurm to emulate such behavior.

Edited by Klaa

Well actually any knife, regardless of how its designed, can be "thrown" with accuracy. Butcher knives can be thrown into log rounds as easily as any "throwing" knife. The manner in which one releases is of far more significance.

Granted release techniques differ widely depending on the knife's design. The main thing is knowing the factors involved and how to adjust for, which of course lends to a lot of practice.

In addition, regardless of the skill level, it can be damned distracting with anything thrown at you. However, theres really nothing atm in Wurm to emulate such behavior.

I just stick with the right too for the job idea. Just cus you can cut a tree with say a scythe. Doesn't mean its as effective as an axe. Thus throwing weapons instead of random stuff :P

I dont think throwing weapons should be more effective against specific types of armour. These kind of weapons will be used in pvp. And in pvp the only armour people will wear are chain and plate. So no one would use throwing knives.

Just tie the weapon type to the thrown distance and throwing timer.

I dont think throwing weapons should be more effective against specific types of armour. These kind of weapons will be used in pvp. And in pvp the only armour people will wear are chain and plate. So no one would use throwing knives.

Just tie the weapon type to the thrown distance and throwing timer.

I agree with this, also make weight a factor. Throwing knives could be light, so anyone could carry quite a lot and use them quickly, whereas on the other end of the scale javelins/spears would be heavier but in the hands of a good thrower they'd do a lot of damage. A javelin to the face would not be a nice wound!

EDIT: also change the throwing system so that spears/knives etc that miss have a chance of hitting an ally nearby. It'd be too overpowered if you could just throw at the enemy while they're distracted by a friend, so a chance of also taking off your friend's head if you go for a very close shot would only be fair.

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 1

lol I do believe that would hurt. No healing cover could fix that XD

if only the combat system of Mount and Blade would come to Wurm...

Id go to pvp and never leave it.

The throwing weapons in there are all the same what are suggested here, you get more accuracy as u gain the skill up and u can throw them faster.

Edited by silakka

I don't disagree with the premise of the post, but there are flaws here.

The knife: Knives aren't generally thrown in warfare; you're usually too busy using it to stab the hell out of the guy who is trying to split you into firewood. Realistically, most fighters have the sense to not disarm themselves in warfare, and they are not a particularly effective weapon when thrown to begin with, contrary to what Hollywood portrays. They do not cause much damage without exceptional accuracy against one of the vital targets, and even then, there is no guarantee. It's very difficult to throw accurately and reliably in a combat situation.

The "javelin:" Just, no... That model would never work practically. The idea of spear throwing is fine, but it would be better modeled after a pilum (they were light, and the average auxiliary carried 3-4 of them, but they were soft and designed for only one throw in which they bent so the enemy couldn't pick them up and throw them back. Primarily they were made to disable shields and cause collateral damage, but they were lethal as well. The other option would be a simple spear with a short blade, similar in shape to a willow leaf. Nothing fancy, just gets the job done. A spear has a range based on the thrower, so body strength and agility plays a role.

I'm all in favor of the ideas, just nothing crazy and too exotic. Sometimes the old ways are the best. ;)

I don't disagree with the premise of the post, but there are flaws here.

The knife: Knives aren't generally thrown in warfare; you're usually too busy using it to stab the hell out of the guy who is trying to split you into firewood. Realistically, most fighters have the sense to not disarm themselves in warfare, and they are not a particularly effective weapon when thrown to begin with, contrary to what Hollywood portrays. They do not cause much damage without exceptional accuracy against one of the vital targets, and even then, there is no guarantee. It's very difficult to throw accurately and reliably in a combat situation.

The "javelin:" Just, no... That model would never work practically. The idea of spear throwing is fine, but it would be better modeled after a pilum (they were light, and the average auxiliary carried 3-4 of them, but they were soft and designed for only one throw in which they bent so the enemy couldn't pick them up and throw them back. Primarily they were made to disable shields and cause collateral damage, but they were lethal as well. The other option would be a simple spear with a short blade, similar in shape to a willow leaf. Nothing fancy, just gets the job done. A spear has a range based on the thrower, so body strength and agility plays a role.

I'm all in favor of the ideas, just nothing crazy and too exotic. Sometimes the old ways are the best. ;)

Well im not a pvp person i just want throwing to have an actual use besides peeving something off and breaking tools. The knives don't have to be for warfare as much as an alt to hunting arrows for small game. It gives diversity. Its like the way you play wurm you obviously don't play it the same as everyone else. As for the javelin I was just modeling and got carried away i wanted to look like something neat its a game and wogic is off enough as is. Also the sporting javelins look like a spear more or less so i wanted to stray from that look.

All in all its just rough thoughts on the game concept and giving things a purpose.