Sign in to follow this  
Akiyama

Improved Fletching

Idea:

• Improve the Quality of arrows and cut down on some of the "Hard Labor"

My fletching is 40-50. its a fun skill to do, but when making thousands of war/hunting arrows you just want to fall face first on to a sword.

How to?:

Idea is to use a random QL based on the shaft used to create the arrow, between 50-75%.

Make the arrow head the chance to get the higher 75%. in example 50ql Shaft, with a 25ql War head the arrow will come out around 30-45ql, as 50% of 50 is 25.. *Can be less Just an template*

Added Effect:

• The max Random QL will of course be based on the users Fletching level so no magic 80ql arrows from a nub fletcher.
  • Easier Arrows means more people will start archery, Slightly slower skill gain due to the fact you imp less to get Higher QL

Add New wood types:

• Oak, Heavy and strong, less prone to break Slight damage increase. Slight Accurate decrease
  • Pine, Flexible and naturally straighter, More accurate, Slightly less powerful as it bends and gives more.

New Arrow heads:

• Stone Shard Arrow Head. Made from chiseled rocks from rummaging/Mined Shards. low accuracy, heavy.
  • Broad Arrow Head. Higher Skill level Hunting head. Heavy and inflicts higher flesh wounded that bleed over time after the arrow is removed. High skill weapon head smithing needed 80+
  • Ridged War Arrow Head. Higher Skill level War Arrow head. Heavy and inflicts higher flesh wounded that bleed over time after the arrow is removed. High Chance to ignore armor. High skill weapon head smithing needed 80+

Some people will say " Archery is OP as it is... no no no no" well it is indeed strong. but so is melee. archery has its handy caps... and that is distance. time...amount of labor...Archery you throw hard work away literary.

• Like 1

and fletching shouldnt be just arrows and bows, it should have little something more.. crossbows and bolts? :P

• Broad Arrow Head. Higher Skill level Hunting head. Heavy and inflicts higher flesh wounded that bleed over time after the arrow is removed. High skill weapon head smithing needed 80+
  • Ridged War Arrow Head. Higher Skill level War Arrow head. Heavy and inflicts higher flesh wounded that bleed over time after the arrow is removed. High Chance to ignore armor. High skill weapon head smithing needed 80+

How many people do you know with 80+ weapon head smithing?

If these changes were added.. a lot more than the maybe 1-3 active people now lol

How many people do you know with 80+ weapon head smithing?

Thats the point. they are meant to be hard to make... its the only way to balance there lethal nature

• Like 1

I like the idea of expanding / improving fletching. I'm up to 60 on release and i don't dare use any arrows yet coz they take so long to imp. However, what I would really like to see is if the metal type used for the arrow head was remembered somehow, as well as the wood type for the shaft. This way you could use different metals for different effects, and they could also have different difficulties to improve. Naturally I want gold-headed arrows just for sentimental gifts hehe

and fletching shouldnt be just arrows and bows, it should have little something more.. crossbows and bolts? :P

Bows not included, right now its just arrow shafts and complete arrows, since making the arrow tips I think its a subskill of smithing, weapon heads I belive.

I dont care for new arrows or new weapons (bolts would require a crossbow), the material of the arrow (wood type) already affects the arrows.

Low level imping of Cedar (war) arrows is incredibly fast, but I noticed that at least in my experience, around 10Q prior to hitting my fletching skill, it gets slow, pretty slow.

You can improve arrows while sailing or riding, but you cant create the arrows from arrowshafts and arrowheads unless you are stationary in solid ground. You also cant make arrow shafts unless you are stationary in solid ground.

So, a slight decrease in the dificulty of improving arrows would help, but for me at least, it would be good that we can also make arrow shafts and put together arrows themselves while sailing or riding a cart. That alone would be enough for me. Right now arrows are too valuable for me, and not effective enough for hunting at low Q (unlike weapons wich are ok to hunt small animals even at Q20 )

Perhaps if we were crafting arrow 'batches' rather than one by one it wouldn't be as bad.

But +1 to higher starting QL.

• Like 1

Making something have a super high skill requirement wont make it balanced, it will just force people to skill up weapon heads smithing to compete. Once people get 80 weapon smithing, those new arrow types would be just as easy to make as normal arrows.

An arrow that has a high chance of ignoring armor completely negates the purpose of barding, as your horse will likely die just as fast with it once everyone switches over to the new arrows which would end up being just as easy to make.

I think that the idea of bleeding is already part of the current war arrows, they are barbed so when they get pulled out they do more damage, and for simplicity its assumed they are pulled out imminently.

The higher starting quality is a decent idea, but you shouldn't be able to crank out 40+ql arrows without any imping.

The higher starting quality is a decent idea, but you shouldn't be able to crank out 40+ql arrows without any imping.

as i said it was an example. max ql would be based on your level reguardless so skill level 20 would get max of 10 - 15

as i said it was an example. max ql would be based on your level reguardless so skill level 20 would get max of 10 - 15

& people with 70-80+ skill make 50 ql on average?

Ehhhh. Not a huge fan...

• Like 1

I'd still rather see arrows made and improved 5 - 40 at a time, improving each arrow separately has always been one of the biggest drawback to archery as a whole, there is a reason a lot of MMO's exclude having arrows and you can shoot just having a bow equipped, or arrows sold as a vendor item, sometimes you can take realism too far.

I'd still rather see arrows made and improved 5 - 40 at a time, improving each arrow separately has always been one of the biggest drawback to archery as a whole, there is a reason a lot of MMO's exclude having arrows and you can shoot just having a bow equipped, or arrows sold as a vendor item, sometimes you can take realism too far.

Dunno about 40 but I wouldnt mind them coming in small batches. Even just being able to do a bundle of 2 at once would be a +

its a pain. it took me the later part of a month to do 1400 war arrows... 20 ql. this was before rolf removed the unfinished arrows aswell... 2 days after i finished the project -.- it was updated.. i was so annoyed XD

Maybe make the imping process way fast that is now, idk cuttin half or more the timmers for imp arrows will help a lot, without making it a super easy task.

Could also make metal shafts. Make some crazy combination, like 1 part gold, 2 parts silver, 3 parts tin, 5 parts iron = alloy lump -> strong, light arrows that break 5/100 shots.

Could also make metal shafts. Make some crazy combination, like 1 part gold, 2 parts silver, 3 parts tin, 5 parts iron = alloy lump -> strong, light arrows that break 5/100 shots.

Iron and steel would be way to heavy for a shaft, they are really dense metals, Tin and silver are lighter but XD they are weak RL so is gold, but that idea would be perfect if your using it for crossbows, or ballistas