Sign in to follow this  
Archaegeo

Twitch Combat - Can This Be Good For Wurm?

Twitch Combat  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Should wurm feature "twitch" combat (see thread for explanation)?

• No - I do not like aiming
    • No - I have too much lag to European servers
    • Yes - I enjoy twitch style combat

Sounds to me like he just wants animations and a bit of mouse movement to replace 'click this arrow to aim your attack' and a choice of puny or strong attacks.

• Like 1

You can't have a worldwide server with twitch combat, it will really make things unfair for some people especially in PvP.

• Like 1

Yeah 2 minute job, Rolf can whip that up over a weekend ...........

No, it is not, which is precisely why it needs to be started sooner than later, instead of just putting it off and off and off forever.

Based on the rest of Rolfs comments, I think Asciana have the gist of it. Targetting someone while they were moving would just be a quick "which target region was the targeting ret/cursor closest to" when the next round of attacks begins. Basically it allows you to more dynamically target while still using your character's skills to resolve the outcome (Rolf did say the server would perform the calculations)

I think the use of "twitch", in this case, was a quick reference to a more graphically interactive combat system, not Super Street Fighter style of combat system.

But only Rolf really knows for sure lol

This seems impossible to implement well with the current state of the servers. Even now in PVP there is massive positional lag, which means that people are pretty much never where they seem to be. If its just "move mouse to position" to aim at x place, i kinda don't see the point, as people generally don't swap target areas more than once or twice during combat.

Rolf follow your dreams and ideas as you said in the Q&A

I don't think he meant mount and blade combat style (even though that would be the best thing so far in wurm, and I bet most people would get smashed so bad against those who actually have some kind of skill in mount & blade games)

and then you would actually have to have some kind of skill in wurm in order to be any good fighting wise! (as it is right now it is based on how much time you are going to spend and how many people you are, only need some kind of leader and the rest can be braindead and yet succeed)

could base shield skill on how much stamina you would lose when blocking an attack

and weapon skill on how accurate your weapon will hit

mind speed could be how fast you can block etc

Edited by Che
  • Like 1

Mount & Blade like combat should never be implemented, simply because it requires cat reflexes and a lot of practice. The thing with Wurm is that you let your skills do the work for you, not your 6000 dpi mouse.

Mount & Blade like combat should never be implemented, simply because it requires cat reflexes and a lot of practice. The thing with Wurm is that you let your skills do the work for you, not your 6000 dpi mouse.

I would perfer exactly the opposite lol. Let the skill affect your damage sure, but only after we see if you can hit me before I dodge :ph34r:

I would perfer exactly the opposite lol. Let the skill affect your damage sure, but only after we see if you can hit me before I dodge :ph34r:

If you have ever played the CRPG mod for M&B, you'd know that that kind of combat is not like what Wurm is now at all. ^_^

If you have ever played the CRPG mod for M&B, you'd know that that kind of combat is not like what Wurm is now at all. ^_^

I have played that M&B mod, and a lot of online battles and duels, and I can tell you, 100ms of lag of diference can make you useless in a fight, I have experienced it and I was doomed to play only in local servers. In Wurm I have a LOT more than 100ms of lag at all times, hell I would think Im on 500-1000ms constantly on a good day, it becomes noticeable to me when I drag carts or boats.

That combat style simply cant work on Wurm. But there are plenty of things that could be done to give more life and more player imput to the current system.

I have played that M&B mod, and a lot of online battles and duels, and I can tell you, 100ms of lag of diference can make you useless in a fight, I have experienced it and I was doomed to play only in local servers. In Wurm I have a LOT more than 100ms of lag at all times, hell I would think Im on 500-1000ms constantly on a good day, it becomes noticeable to me when I drag carts or boats.

That combat style simply cant work on Wurm. But there are plenty of things that could be done to give more life and more player imput to the current system.

That's my point lol

Yes, we definitely need twitch combat - as a administrator of one of the largest Wurm fans communities I know that most newbies are quickly leaving Wurm because of combat system - changes are needed ASAP. This change may (and probably will) cause some veterans to leave the game, but much more new players will join Wurm and stay, so it will pay off, anyway.

I'm mostly worried that it will just be a click fest if I have to click for every swing or every block. I do enough clicking in wurm...

I'm mostly worried that it will just be a click fest if I have to click for every swing or every block. I do enough clicking in wurm...

I agree I would not want to have to do every swing myself either just have an auto swing and then use the mouse button to power up special moves and stuff.

with the terrible lag that seems to be growing in the server any more, twitch combat will result in you dying more than winning.

now if Rolf wants to bring in a twitch based seperate server, power to him. If it is forced upon us, tell us now so I can quit paying 20 euros a month.

As a PvEing carebear I can say I like combat the way it is, I can see how some people would want a change though. Personally I like combat the way it is because of how reliable it is, I can count on winning a fight because its not completely random and its not based on me moving around and hitting the right buttons, I have specific odds and I know when those odds are in my favor.

They can't even get the distances to work properly on the non twitch-based system.

You need to add another option: No, because the current system is much simpler and still doesn't work quite right.

My faith in the ability to implement a twitch based system without potentially ruining the game altogether is extremely lacking.

Beyond that... latency. Java itself doesn't lend to twitch-based anything, let alone the fact that all of the servers are in europe and it would render combat pretty much unplayable for north american players due to regular latency + 100ms or so for Java being Java.

Yes this would help the PvP alot.

The mainly text based system has no real feel to it at all.

Like I have said in the past AoC has a decent system as well as other MMO's that he could use part of and make the game have combat with a more real feel to it.

I do not know if it would be completely twitch based, but adding more response and involvement to how combat is done would add alot to the game.

• Like 1

No....just ...No...of all the combat games that are available...if Wurm had twitch right now added..would you pick it over all the others available...I sure as hell wouldnt. Combat is an afterthought in this game as well as pvp. It just doesnt make sense to do anything with the combat in this game "unless" you are 1. responding to user input or 2. Going to take it to a competitive level with other games. Lets face it...competing with other games on combat is not something Wurm can even remotely do. What it can do is focus on other items in the game that are unique and offer an experience that you cant get anywhere else.

If they were serious about putting Wurm on a competitive level with other combat style games..the first thing they would have to do is get a different engine...period. Without a different engine..the combat in this game will always be clunky and halfassed at best in comparison to other games.

IMO its a phenominal waste of time and effort that will do nothing but burden an allready limted budget and limited staff and do nothing to increase the amount of new players. In fairness it could however have an affect on player retention...but whether positive or negative remains to be seen.

If you put in twitch style combat...how many people would say...Oh Im going to Wurm for thier combat?..........not many imo.

In contrast...how many people would say.....Hey I hear Wurm has added rivers, ice, and new graphics ect ect ect...im going to check it out?..................Im guess a hell of a lot more than would come for the twitch combat.

But an opinion is like an ***hole...and everyone has one...thats just my 2 iron

But an opinion is like an ***hole...and everyone has one...thats just my 2 iron

It's not like they flock in now for the combat that is there.....Any Improvements to make it 'Feel Real' would help 100%.

• Like 1

It's not like they flock in now for the combat that is there.....Any Improvements to make it 'Feel Real' would help 100%.

But they did flock in for the multistory - its about priorities...#1 is making money - put the effort into what will hopefully make you the most money.....while the combat improvements may be desired..they ultimately will not draw in any new customers. Its all about the money...put your effort where the money is.

My ping is roughly around 145ms at all times, sometimes more. With that sort of ping twitch combat would be nowhere remotely possible for me. Unfortunately because of the way Wurm works and the location of its servers it would just give an unfair advantage to those players who live closer to the server geographically, moreso than other games out there.

So with that I have to downvote the idea of twich combat even though I would love to see Wurm combat improved. Twitch combat is not the solution, but I'm sure there's another system that will work better.

• Like 1

The combat wurm has now kills the fighting half of the game for me... I love to aim at what Im attacking and have the chance to dodge attacks based on my ability to time it right, not just numbers and stats that decide if i dodge or not. And tera twitch combat sucks.... need to be able to walk while attacking. Walk/run while aimming your bow at another moving target. Stand and attack has been done for 30years, time for movement!