Sign in to follow this  
GoG

Perimeter - Clear Answer Please.

This has gone back and forth so many times, and am getting conflicting reports from inside the game.

I would like a clear answer (at least the latest ruling) from a GM or a Wurm rep that is 100% sure.

Are we supposed to be able to repair houses on somebody elses perimeter? yes or no (On Freedom Servers)?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Edited by GoG

If you are refering to your house on someone elses perim, then no, the house will not be (should not be) repairable by yourself

Hope that helps :)

What is the reason for that? Perimeter is considered part of the wilderness. Why are houses treated differently than fences which are repairable on perimeters.

It's because perimeter is also treated as reserving room for a deed to expand. A deed cannot place perimeter over an existing house, but if you build a house on a deed's perimeter, you aren't allowed to repair it so that the owner can expand his deed if he wants.

(should not be) repairable by yourself

Hope that helps :)

I had this issue on my last deed. GMs ruled it was perfectly legal for the owner of the house to repair it, despite it being on my perimeter. I think the key part of this is "repairable by yourself." I'm pretty sure I know how its done but definitely think its a loophole and really ruins the whole purpose of a perimeter.

Edited by bobmcjeffery

A deed cannot place perimeter over an existing house.

Actually, this is entirely possible within the mechanics of the game. One can currently expand their deed right to someone's front door with perimeter over it... or did you mean when initially creating the deed? That one I don't know.

My understanding is that expanding a perimeter over a house is legal. It is also my understanding that expanding one's perimeter over a house within an enclosure is also legal, ie. the deed expansion trumps the enclosure rule.

I'd love to be corrected on either of those if they are incorrect! However, I can only consider a correction from a GM, or direct quote of a rule posted by a GM please.

I was also under the impression that it is not possible, mechanically, to build a house within someone else's existing perimeter. I haven't tried it, but I thought I had read that somewhere.

What is the reason for that? Perimeter is considered part of the wilderness. Why are houses treated differently than fences which are repairable on perimeters.

Because the owner of the deed has paid a fee to reserve that land for future expansion (at least when the perimeter is over 5 tiles wide). Perimeters are also meant as a buffer between deeds, so other players can still pass through the area. Of course, there are players that don't care about other players and still fence in the perimeter.

And for clarification, you can't place a new deed's perimeter over any existing buildings at this time, but you can still expand the perimeter of an existing deed. That may change at any time, as it is still a disputed rule in many cases.

And for clarification, you can't place a new deed's perimeter over any existing buildings at this time, but you can still expand the perimeter of an existing deed. That may change at any time, as it is still a disputed rule in many cases.

No wonder why people are confused.

I don't think thats true at all, but I am not a GM so I'll let them answer that.

Just wondering whats the difference: According to you, I can't place a new deed with perimeter expanding over existing buildings (although I done that before, please don't ban me, they were very close to decaying), but I can expand the perimeter of an existing deed over buildings in the perimeter, so what stops me from putting down a deed with perimeter just 1 tile away from existing buildings, then after placement (making it an existing deed or how many days to I need to wait in your opinion?) expand the perimeter over those buildings?

Nothing stops you.

A deed is renting the land. The five free perimiter tiles can never become part of the deed and are not paid for cuz they are free. Any extra perimiter tiles that you pay for are used for future expansion. That future expansion ensures that you don't get boxed in. This is a money maker for Rolf. So that's why deeds AND paid perimiters trump non paying people's stuff. If you want to keep your stuff help support the game.

Edited by Sarcaticous

Read this if you are confused on the rules. Enki is the head GM and the game mechanic and the GM rule is you can perimeter expansion over houses for forced decay. You are not allowed to dispute GM rules.

http://forum.wurmonl...in/#entry688267

Edited by yarnevk

I noticed the decay was increased quite rapidly as well. Someone deeded over one of my houses on Independence, and in the course of a few months it only had about 20-30 damage on it. I check it 2 weeks later and it's near 80 damage. This is on an 85QL stone house.

So, be careful, especially for those with lower QL houses (poor noobs....).

That was in the Feb 1 patch that non-citizen houses in perimeter decays very rapidly. So not only is it an intentional mechanic it has been improved to be more effective.

Settling 10 tiles away from a perimeter is an invitation to your own eviction, since the min 5 deed plus 5 perimeter tiles from token you might think you are safe, but perimeter expansion is inexpensive compared to deed expansion.

Move up the hill 50 tiles away, the mining is always better inland anyways, and you will find well water where you want to settle. While possible someone would expand perimeter 50 and overlap you, this is very unlikely. More importantly if you stay in the game and deed it so you do not lose it, you will have your own room to expand, and not find yourself having to move simply because you settled too close too a deed in the first place.

Edited by yarnevk

It's because perimeter is also treated as reserving room for a deed to expand. A deed cannot place perimeter over an existing house, but if you build a house on a deed's perimeter, you aren't allowed to repair it so that the owner can expand his deed if he wants.

Wrong. When I moved, My Knarr was unfinished. Since they changed ownership from the last person to hold it to the person who finishes it, I put up a shack over it so I could finish it. Someone put a deed down with the perimeter including my boat shed so that I could no longer fix the walls. But when wall fell, I could put up a new wall.

And yet I have a friend who has had a wall of his house and some fence perimetered over, thereby destroying (slowly to be sure but destroying none the less) both his enclosure and his house. And he was told by both CAs and GMs that this was ok and there was nothing that could be done about it.

So where is the protection of an enclosure? What is it's value? Who would want to work for an extended period of time knowing that their work can just be destroyed anytime anyone wants to.

Edited by Vindekator

The enclosure provides protection, but the protection is lower than that of a deed and perimeter. It does provide protection that the random person walking buy can't just bash your house down and steal your stuff. However, on wurm, we are still expected to deed it at some point, and this system is supposed to encourage that.

Enclosures really are meant to be short-term protection, from my understanding. They're fine for newbies that are just getting their feet wet in the game and need a protected area to store stuff and maybe start a small temporary farm, but ultimately paid deeds (and the accompanying perimeters) trump enclosures - as it should be.

Want total protection? Deed it.

Edited by Moxie

Wrong. When I moved, My Knarr was unfinished. Since they changed ownership from the last person to hold it to the person who finishes it, I put up a shack over it so I could finish it. Someone put a deed down with the perimeter including my boat shed so that I could no longer fix the walls. But when wall fell, I could put up a new wall.

That is unintentional then. The perimeter is reserved land for deed expansion. it prevents anything on there that prevents deed expansions; houses, and other deeds. New houses and house walls (should) not be able to be built there, and existing houses are unrepairable. When someone deeds an area, and decided they want the un-deeded lnd that has house xxx on it, they can expand their perimeter over it, forcing the undeeded house into decay, and eventually allowing said deed owner to exapnd their deed that way. Stone fences, however, do not prevent expansion, alike any other action such as digging, woodcutting, or mining. That's why these are allowed.

Edited by Alyeska

I noticed the decay was increased quite rapidly as well. Someone deeded over one of my houses on Independence, and in the course of a few months it only had about 20-30 damage on it. I check it 2 weeks later and it's near 80 damage. This is on an 85QL stone house.

So, be careful, especially for those with lower QL houses (poor noobs....).

Yeah i tested this myself, a person went missing at a nearby house so i ran my parameter half way through his house, half his house is missing (one in my buffer zone) the other half is still decaying, pretty neat experiment, checked the average wall ql and they were relatively close other than a couple of odd high ql walls here and there