Sign in to follow this  
Farmerbob

Unstupid The Random Events On Epic

If meteors destroyed buildings and items in a radius, fine.... Creating stupid slopes, not so fine

RainRain, the entire concept of turning something like this back into a useable deed is borderline insane. Yes, there are some folks who might actually be stubborn enough to try to fix it, but something like this? Even most hardcore wurm terraformers would avoid this much work. There's a huge difference between grinding down a mountain in carebear lands and doing the same in Epic. If someone actually wanted to spend the next year, grinding down the side of a mountain, they would just move to Freedom and find a mountain there to chop down.

Epic is a PVP server, not a player-vs-meteor server. The idea of the gods striking out at Wurmians is fine, but the scale of damage needs to be turned back quite a bit, there's no need for this level of destruction. All it's going to do is make people furious, perhaps to the point where they leave the game.

Epic is a server with these things intended, it's supposed to have epic events happen, major changes everywhere, people getting destroyed, or being blessed with ores.

It's not just a pvp server, and that's certainly something you missed when entering the server, and the entire hype rolf made beforehand.

All of it explicitly saying that THIS will be the types of events happening, that THIS will be the type of server it will be.

It's not just a simple "pvp" server, you've got more to worry about than that.

otherwise, go back to chaos (oh wait you hate chaos too, right?)

The thing you don't seem to understand is these events are targeted towards those long-standing deeds, because epic is supposed to be everchanging, it's not like chaos where a deed is meant to stay forever, it's supposed to include the map change constantly, whether on home or not, it's supposed to have deeds disbanding, reforming, and so on constantly.

Just because you dumped all of your work on one deed means nothing other than the expected rage.

Edited by RainRain

Epic is a server with these things intended, it's supposed to have epic events happen, major changes everywhere, people getting destroyed, or being blessed with ores.

It's not just a pvp server, and that's certainly something you missed when entering the server, and the entire hype rolf made beforehand.

All of it explicitly saying that THIS will be the types of events happening, that THIS will be the type of server it will be.

It's not just a simple "pvp" server, you've got more to worry about than that.

otherwise, go back to chaos (oh wait you hate chaos too, right?)

The thing you don't seem to understand is these events are targeted towards those long-standing deeds, because epic is supposed to be everchanging, it's not like chaos where a deed is meant to stay forever, it's supposed to include the map change constantly, whether on home or not, it's supposed to have deeds disbanding, reforming, and so on constantly.

Just because you dumped all of your work on one deed means nothing other than the expected rage.

And if Rolf agrees with you that it's a good idea to obliterate thousands of player hours of work in a few seconds due to a random event, he'll only be demonstrating once again that he has a poor understanding of why a substantial chunk of people play his game. You also appear to not understand that Wurm is a building and crafting game to most of us. We don't build and craft things so that rocks falling from the sky can destroy them. Those of us who are willing to play on PVP servers build and craft at least partly for PVP. Even if these things we build are destroyed by PVP action, they were built for PVP. It's part of PVP competition - can what you built stand up to what the enemy is throwing at it?

Nuking entire deeds into oblivion, while at the same time destroying all subsurface structures and creating massive trenches or rock spires that can't be terraformed without the use of hundreds of thousands of units of dirt is just plain broken.

You are entitled to your own opinion RainRain, but don't try to pretend that we are not also entitled to our own opinions as well.

In my opinion, the damage generated by these "Epic" events aren't Epic, they are irresponsible.

• Like 2

While you're overestimating the damage, I do agree they need to be tuned down. I want smaller craters that look less artificial...bumpy craters, not a 50 tile radius circle with flat rock or something stupid like that. Right now they stand out too much.

I HIGHLY disagree here. The events are not stupid at all. It actually makes something happen on the Home servers, since no one raids them much these days, and certainly not much damage is done from existing raiders.

Only one deed I know of has been hit by said HORRIBLE EVENTS THAT RUIN THE WORLD AND DESTROY THOUSANDS OF DEEDS... And that's Marcus's deed when it got.. mountainized?

I've only known of the Mountains spawning, and the new "rift" ( and glimmersteel meteors) natural "disasters" that have happened between Summer 2012 to now, and only ONE deed/house/what have you has been ruined because of this.

I believe you are WAAAYYY overreacting here, and if you don't like it, take a hike and get off of Epic, and go to Freedom where you can never worry about aannyytthiiinng happening to you :)

If anything should be done about the "RANDOM EVENTS OF DEATH AND DOOM" is that they shouldn't look so..... unnatural (like Wiro said above ) I think the 300 dirt deep stone pit of a crater was a bit much, looks like a giant hole, not a meteor crash site..

Again, these "RANDOM EVENTS OF DEATH AND DOOM" are the only exciting things to happen on Serenity.. besides the occasional noob squabbling or Gbelcik derping about.

And if Rolf agrees with you that it's a good idea to obliterate thousands of player hours of work in a few seconds due to a random event, he'll only be demonstrating once again that he has a poor understanding of why a substantial chunk of people play his game. You also appear to not understand that Wurm is a building and crafting game to most of us. We don't build and craft things so that rocks falling from the sky can destroy them. Those of us who are willing to play on PVP servers build and craft at least partly for PVP. Even if these things we build are destroyed by PVP action, they were built for PVP. It's part of PVP competition - can what you built stand up to what the enemy is throwing at it?

Nuking entire deeds into oblivion, while at the same time destroying all subsurface structures and creating massive trenches or rock spires that can't be terraformed without the use of hundreds of thousands of units of dirt is just plain broken.

You are entitled to your own opinion RainRain, but don't try to pretend that we are not also entitled to our own opinions as well.

In my opinion, the damage generated by these "Epic" events aren't Epic, they are irresponsible.

Only one deed has been smashed by these RANDOM EVENTS OF DOOM... unless there's one I don't know of ( This is on JKH Serenity )

Only one deed has been smashed by these RANDOM EVENTS OF DOOM... unless there's one I don't know of ( This is on JKH Serenity )

hjDYEfc.jpg

"Rolf, on 11 February 2013 - 03:51 AM, said:

I understand that this must be a big disappointment to HOTS, and rightly so.

I want to look at the effects of scenario and mission wins asap. The idea was that ravines etc should possibly hit settlements and the boulders were supposed to mitigate the loss.

Now, apparently hitting settlements with ravines was very unpopular but the boulders remained which turned them into a reward instead.

It's the same as with the skill punishments that were simply annoying.

Basically the system isn't working well and I aim to take a serious look at it with your input very soon. There are some good suggestions already but I'll make sure to get enough info to make it good."

Rolf clearly states that the system isn't working well, but does not disable it, and allows it to completely obliterate a major deed.

And yes, I have already disbanded my deed, popped my houses, and left my old Epic home open to looting because I have no interest in playing Russian roulette with meteors. That's not PVP. That's not even "displeasure of the gods" being made known. It's simply irresponsible levels of destruction with no *direct* connection to player activities.

Muahaah, what's that?

That's not the wrath of some angry god!

That's just a knot in the database. :lol::D

Edited by Keldun

The events are stupid indeed. I agree with the OP. Player deeds should never EVER be obliterated by special events. Paying customers should not get screwed over like this.

Also doing an event for your God(dess) should not give special valuable ores to your enemy like it does now, this is just stupid! When BL wins WL gets rewarded with glimmersteel, etc. This is very stupid.

• Like 1

The events are stupid indeed. I agree with the OP. Player deeds should never EVER be obliterated by special events. Paying customers should not get screwed over like this.

Also doing an event for your God(dess) should not give special valuable ores to your enemy like it does now, this is just stupid! When BL wins WL gets rewarded with glimmersteel, etc. This is very stupid.

So... should we then stop enemy kingdoms from attacking each other/griefing land? Because paying customers get screwed over alot by attackers griefing their land...As far as i know, these RANDOM EVENTS OF DEATH have just as much chance to hit the wilderness as it does a deed.

And I would agree with that last part you said.. I'm not quite sure WHY the enemies of Libila got Libilas bounty... makes noooooo sense to me.

Edited by Radni

hjDYEfc.jpg

I want to look at the effects of scenario and mission wins asap. The idea was that ravines etc should possibly hit settlements and the boulders were supposed to mitigate the loss.

Now, apparently hitting settlements with ravines was very unpopular but the boulders remained which turned them into a reward instead.

Basically the system isn't working well and I aim to take a serious look at it with your input very soon. There are some good suggestions already but I'll make sure to get enough info to make it good."

Rolf clearly states that the system isn't working well, but does not disable it, and allows it to completely obliterate a major deed.

And yes, I have already disbanded my deed, popped my houses, and left my old Epic home open to looting because I have no interest in playing Russian roulette with meteors. That's not PVP. That's not even "displeasure of the gods" being made known. It's simply irresponsible levels of destruction with no *direct* connection to player activities.

How many other deeds besides yours on MR have been decimated by THE RANDOM EVENTS OF DOOM AND DEATH during the entirity of the server?

If you only want to craft and build, head to freedom.

If you want to craft and build, with some intended for pvp, go to chaos.

If you want to pvp mainly and have a house as a side, or solely focus on constructing stuff needed for pvp - go to epic.

And no, the purpose is to do things such as that, the only thing i don't like is ravines tbh, since it's just a long line of dropped tiles, doesn't look cool, unlike platues/craters/mountains/meteors.

The damage is supposed to be noticeable, now if the events were scaled down, and a small mountain was formed somewhere far away from a deed, that wouldn't be noticeable, that wouldn't be bothersome, in fact that wouldn't matter at all, it wouldn't feel as it did now, and the current feeling is something big, and impactful.

of which, i repeat, an Epic change

While you're overestimating the damage, I do agree they need to be tuned down. I want smaller craters that look less artificial...bumpy craters, not a 50 tile radius circle with flat rock or something stupid like that. Right now they stand out too much.

What do you mean? This totally looks natural! Looks even better with mine entrances on 1k+ slopes!

3xIYxW3l.jpg

hjDYEfc.jpg

Context, please, Rolf posted that comment on 11 February 2013 - 03:51 AM while the earliest time I could find that image was here which was posted on 24 February 2013 - 01:22 AM. Now, Rolf's comment was for the last scenario where Libila won and "Rewarded" the WLs with glimmersteel. Yes he may have said that the system isn't working well but chances are, he would not have been able to foresee this event happening.

If this meteor or ravine did hit somewhere which wasn't on a deed, I'm sure all of you would be celebrating the fact that you got rewarded with glimmersteel 2 scenarios in a row, but like with most things, a slim chance means just that, there's a chance for a deed to get hit and in this case, this slim chance won.

When WLs get reward with glimmersteel:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

[00:53:21] You create a longsword.

Thanks BL, got me some high ql glimmer bro. Time to grind up longsword.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I hope BL wins all the time now!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Thank you Libila

But when WLs get rewarded again with a little extra surprise, well we can all see the reaction especially in this thread.

Had to get away from here for a couple days and have taken a break from Wurm Forums.

I don't think anyone would be truly put out if the damage caused by the gods was something on a scale that we could actually fix with significant, yet not absurd amounts of work. I also think it's highly inappropriate to reward the losing side with high value materials.

Reduce the scope of damage caused by the displeasure of the gods, and eliminate the losers getting special materials.

Reward the worshippers of the winning gods with the chance to get special materials while praying based on their karma level.

If you have high karma from doing lots of missions, you will have a good chance to get rewarded with special materials when praying, rather than coins, mushrooms, gems, or sacrifice potions.

They are gods....FEAR THEM!!

and go do your quests!!!

Edited by Protunia

Reward the worshippers of the winning gods with the chance to get special materials while praying based on their karma level.

If you have high karma from doing lots of missions, you will have a good chance to get rewarded with special materials when praying, rather than coins, mushrooms, gems, or sacrifice potions.

Your most stupid suggestion yet. Then there will literally be no reason to do missions, everyone will just sit around their altars all day praying, crushing the PvP incentive. I see how desperate you are to get this changed, but wth man, you're already gone. Just enjoy playing on whatever server you chose and leave epic to the big boys and girls. Move on.

• Like 1

Your most stupid suggestion yet. Then there will literally be no reason to do missions, everyone will just sit around their altars all day praying, crushing the PvP incentive. I see how desperate you are to get this changed, but wth man, you're already gone. Just enjoy playing on whatever server you chose and leave epic to the big boys and girls. Move on.

What's the best way to get Karma?

Rather than dumbing the events down in magnitude I think they should be more interactive rather than having a relatively instant and uncontrollable end game. Instead have a build up time on the gods' attacks, mark terrain where they're going to happen, and in the case of terrain shaping events that come in multiples space them out instead of having them all occur at once. After the game finishes and the winning god starts doing their thing spawn a number of missions for the servers being affected to help protect their land in a number of ways such as diverting the area affected, reducing the magnitude, or completely eliminating some of the locations to be terraformed. The difficulty of the missions could scale based on the end strength of the gods doing the protection. This way we can still have epic outcomes but have some degree over the control of the damage done.

• Like 2

Farmerbob, Although I can understand your objections to the lottery risk that these world warping scenarios would pose to any deed that you would build upon the Epic servers, I would have to agree with those that have stated that you should not be playing upon the Epic servers then. Leave Rolf and his destructive bent to the Epic servers and those who would have the same tendency to see this destructive havoc wreaked upon others. This is a good outlet that will keep that sort of mischief more focused upon those servers and lessen the desire to foist it off upon the PvE servers.

Of course when the destruction hits home of one of the deeds of those who so blithely advocate it, I am guessing that they will not be so pleased with the results, nor take any excessive amount of time to repair the damage. I doubt they would have put much time into making their deed anything of substance, so they will just gaze at the results for a brief time and move on elsewhere with little end loss.

I see the Epic servers as a more chaotic atmosphere geared to those who prefer that environment, so please do not endorse for the lessening of it but rather let Rolf push the envelope there with unrestricted destructive intent until those who populate those lands break and shatter under the weight of it all. Then we shall see who remain as the primal dominate species amongst these primitive bands of brigands. Survival of the fittest and all that good stuff, don't cha' no.

Follow their well meaning kindly suggestions and head off to Chaos for a milder touch of pvp meant for those of a less stouter character than those Epic sojourners. Or perhaps return to the PvE Freedom Isles where you will be softly coddled and snugly put to rest next to teddy and friends, which is my preference of course. RL has enough opportunities to elevate oneself over others than to waste them within Wurm where the results are so ephemeral, not that I would advocate this either way, as I am more one to avoid conflicts by making undesirables vanish when they are no longer within my presence; but that is a whole other matter, which need not be elaborated upon here.

Safe travels, Farmerbob!

=Ayes=

Farmerbob, Although I can understand your objections to the lottery risk that these world warping scenarios would pose to any deed that you would build upon the Epic servers, I would have to agree with those that have stated that you should not be playing upon the Epic servers then. Leave Rolf and his destructive bent to the Epic servers and those who would have the same tendency to see this destructive havoc wreaked upon others. This is a good outlet that will keep that sort of mischief more focused upon those servers and lessen the desire to foist it off upon the PvE servers.

Of course when the destruction hits home of one of the deeds of those who so blithely advocate it, I am guessing that they will not be so pleased with the results, nor take any excessive amount of time to repair the damage. I doubt they would have put much time into making their deed anything of substance, so they will just gaze at the results for a brief time and move on elsewhere with little end loss.

I see the Epic servers as a more chaotic atmosphere geared to those who prefer that environment, so please do not endorse for the lessening of it but rather let Rolf push the envelope there with unrestricted destructive intent until those who populate those lands break and shatter under the weight of it all. Then we shall see who remain as the primal dominate species amongst these primitive bands of brigands. Survival of the fittest and all that good stuff, don't cha' no.

Follow their well meaning kindly suggestions and head off to Chaos for a milder touch of pvp meant for those of a less stouter character than those Epic sojourners. Or perhaps return to the PvE Freedom Isles where you will be softly coddled and snugly put to rest next to teddy and friends, which is my preference of course. RL has enough opportunities to elevate oneself over others than to waste them within Wurm where the results are so ephemeral, not that I would advocate this either way, as I am more one to avoid conflicts by making undesirables vanish when they are no longer within my presence; but that is a whole other matter, which need not be elaborated upon here.

Safe travels, Farmerbob!

=Ayes=

Wow, that's possibly the most benevolent sounding insult I've ever heard. I'll shorten it for you.

Stop complaining, go away, and shut up.

=Ayes=

My answer? I already have gone. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'm not even going to waste my efforts in game in a PVP environment when I can suffer complete and utter destruction of thousands of hours worth of effort in a few seconds to a non-PVP effect.

Russian Roulette is NOT PVP. No possible argument exists to counter this.

Environmental destructive events are fine, but they need to be on a responsible scale.

Your comment "I doubt they would have put much time into making their deed anything of substance, so they will just gaze at the results for a brief time and move on elsewhere with little end loss." Is completely and utterly meaningless. Nobody would ever consider building a major village without significant passive defenses. End.

If you dont like random terraformings etc why not come to chaos? Oh wait you dont like it because "insert stupid reason here". I wonder why are you still here when you dont want to play on any of the servers now?

Edited by atazs

Wow, that's possibly the most benevolent sounding insult I've ever heard. I'll shorten it for you.

My good Farmerbob, you have misinterpreted the direction of my post, I am afraid. Here you were merely the messenger with the message being sent in another direction. A bit of a veiled approach to obscure the intent as a safeguard from further assault. If you read it with yourself excluded from the equation you may glean another message within, although to myself it seems pretty clear. Really, no offense meant to you, as you are at least picking up on the "benevolent" nature of it in respect to yourself, heh.

=Ayes=

If you dont like random terraformings etc why not come to chaos? Oh wait you dont like it because "insert stupid reason here". I wonder why are you still here when you dont want to play on any of the servers now?

That's a really good question I've been asking myself for the last few days while I haven't been logging in.

Freedom - all the crafting is pretty much meaningless to me since I don't want to be a merchant for real world monetary gain.

Chaos - three hours one way to Chaos from my deed on Deli. Sorry, no, I don't play the game to wander around on a boat for half of a play session.

Epic - I do not consider Russian Roulette with meteors to be PVP in any way shape or form, and have absolutely zero interest in such a world.

All PVP in general is broken because I learn how to fight by beating on dogs and horses. Yet I can't learn how to fight by sparring villagers, not even in a limited format like faith gain. On an epic home server I would have been mostly OK with that, since I was setting up to be a supporter of the PVP guys rather than a PVPer directly, and repeated raids on home server locations in densely populated areas would be pretty darn hard to pull off with the CR penalties.

So ya, I've been casting the net looking for something else while I wait for Archeage or Greedmonger. I might even try Xsyon again and see if I can get into digging in trash heaps for a living.