Sign in to follow this  
Cartrip

Lava Spike Project Passed 400 Slopes

Here's one of my ongoing projects. It's a rock spike which I'm using lava to make slowly and steadily higher. Today I added another 4 height which pushed it to 403 slopes! :) If you want to see pics of how it used to look, check this archived post. If I'm ever satisfied with the height I'll transform all 4 sides to lava and call it done, but until then I'm keeping it mostly rock to prevent flowing.

ETkJZRt.jpg

• Like 4

very nice job, may i ask you how much time it took to get it that far ?

very nice job, may i ask you how much time it took to get it that far ?

I think he said it took him around 2 months to create the spike. The thread's around here somewhere I think.

Yeah, I haven't answered that question because I'm not sure exactly how long it was. I started lowering rock around it back in October of 2012 if I remember right, but my number of hours per day on that project has varied a lot. In theory I could use an event log parser to figure it out, but myeh I'm not that all-fired-up to know :P

Lol, looks quite different from the OP that is archived lol

That is crazy, is the slope on that not dictated by any skill? If not then in theory you could keep going to insane slopes :P

i was thinking SM is limited for your skill x3, or at least i can't sm more than 186 slopes with 62 minning, is the spike more than 1 tile span?

Edited by KunAlt

Ok, but even if SM is 3x your skill in slopes, then it wouldn't be possible to reach slopes of 300+?

Or 400+ for that matter?

Edited by Shrimpiie

99.99 skill or just around that is 300 slope, So this isn't limited by skill cause it really isn't involving the digging skill. Back on MRH when surface mining was first added there was a bug where if you surfaced mined it created a huge spike that touched the top of the map nearly. Those were fun to drag a cart then embark ontop of that.

Ok, so as I'm not very knowledgeable in SM, what stops people from creating these giant spikes? Because obviously they aren't everywhere ;D

Anyone fill me in on SM?

This is one tile border with over 400 slope, so this is not possible with surface mining. That's just how it started. The area was originally a smoothly sloped rock face which I had dug all the dirt from for my other project. Then I lowered the eight corners surrounding what is now the point of that spike by 243-ish, which was the surface mining limit for my skill. Then to go up to 300 and beyond, I used the Erupt ability one day and the Freeze ability the next, on the tile whose northwest corner is the tip of the spike. This ability is from meditation level 7 in the path of Power. When you Erupt rock (or if lava flows onto a tile) the northwest corner is raised by 4 slopes. So since Erupt / Freeze has a 24h timer, I can raise it by 4 every other day. Now that it's past 300, and we see that's not a hard limit and doesn't break the game, I plan to just keep going :)

• Like 1

This is one tile border with over 400 slope, so this is not possible with surface mining. That's just how it started. The area was originally a smoothly sloped rock face which I had dug all the dirt from for my other project. Then I lowered the eight corners surrounding what is now the point of that spike by 243-ish, which was the surface mining limit for my skill. Then to go up to 300 and beyond, I used the Erupt ability one day and the Freeze ability the next, on the tile whose northwest corner is the tip of the spike. This ability is from meditation level 7 in the path of Power. When you Erupt rock (or if lava flows onto a tile) the northwest corner is raised by 4 slopes. So since Erupt / Freeze has a 24h timer, I can raise it by 4 every other day. Now that it's past 300, and we see that's not a hard limit and doesn't break the game, I plan to just keep going :)

After i added that post i put my self to find how was posible to reach past that 300 limit, and re reading the topic i imagined something like this but was not 100% sure about.

So counting 4 per 48 Hs really is outstanding what you did with that extra 200 slopes :D

Congratz!

Edited by KunAlt

Cool. Looks like you are using a game mechanic in an un intended way. Be careful.

Seems pretty intended to me. Just something noone thought of before.

Thanks for the comments so far, and yes I've always had in the back of my mind that this is flirting with mechanics in a perhaps unforeseen way, but I trust that a GM will tap me on the shoulder if that becomes the case. Or one day I will log on to simply find it cut down to 300. I'm prepared to accept that (but I hope not). It's already been worth it just to explore something I've always wanted to do. The database field where that height is stored should be able to handle a number of 32k up to 2.1 billion or more, not that I would live long enough to push that limit :P