Sign in to follow this  
Margul

Spear Question

Just starting out training fight skill, and I want to uses spears strictly for personal pref/role playing. I have heard this is a bad idea. Are they so terrible to main that I would be signifigantly gimping myself?

dont know whats now, but poles used to use both hands meaning you cant equip shield to block damage. They didnt parry also. that means when fighting with a pole you dont have any means of defense (no shield = no block + no parry), so every tiny bit of an enemy player or monster swing you end up with a wound. That makes you basicaly impossible to kill stronger animals like lava spiders, trolls and so (the ones that do a lot of damage) even you have high fighting skill and high pole skill because you simply wount be able to kill them before they will kill you in straight fight. You will need to have a space to back out to bandage yourself+heal if you want to kill them.

And i dont think anything has been changed yet, so it is as it was.

Edited by Skatyna

I think all pole arms parry, but have been told they are all still not worth using

I'd like to know this as well for the same reasons as you.

I would like to fight with bows as a primary weapon and for close range switch to a spear, but it should be feasible really. Don't fancy being a practice doll for spiders where every hit takes a bite out of me :)

Polearms are very specialized pieces of equipement. They are bad to use in general situations, but they get a massive damage bonus against creatures that are mounted by a player. Allowing you to kill one in one or two hits.

When a player is on a horse and you have spear, you will do double the damage on the horse AND the player. This is obviously not very important for PvE servers, but the spear can still be used. It is not terrible, but you will probably do better with other weapons.

The spear does parry block and it hits harder when it hits.

If you want to roleplay caveman with spear, there is no other way but use a spear and look like a badass, and it doubles as a walking stick since weapons display is always on!. You cannot use the flava of the month and pretend it is a spear - which I think is medium maul for the hitz and shield now that they skillz.

i dont like being force to a weapon because it is the best, so i took halberd and it fairly blocks good. well mine has a lifetransfer on it, so mostly i dont care for hits from mobs :)

On epic (skill curve is in place), I sparred a 70fs player who was on a horse while I (50fs) was on the ground. I used a halberd with 1 skill in it, the 70fs used a longsword with 40+ skill and a large metal shield with 50+ skill. I got him to 30 or so health and won the spar in two hits with the halberd and some AoSP hits from my armor. I was pretty badly beated up, but my opponent had a 30+ and 25+ damage wound. Almost forgot to mention, the halberd had 79 frostbrand on it as well. His sword had a 40+ frostbrand.

• Like 1

To the guy who is thinking about using archery then switching to spear: if you get good at archery then you can basically use a plank as your main melee weapon because archery rocks ... once you're good at it.

But the great news is you can get decent using an archery target, then you just need a lot of good ql war arrows and the world is your oyster!

From my experience i would say pole arms (long spear) is absolutely useless, you will be much better of with a nice 2 hander.

Or dual long swordss/mauls, sword and board or some such combo