Sign in to follow this  
Archaegeo

Please Give More Warnings On Server Restarts When Possible

If there is any exploit or even advantage possible with more then a 10 minute warning, then going to 60 or 30 minute warning should be off the table. Instead, it appears the only real issue with server restarts is losing animals.

It therefore only makes sense for the devs to implement a method to "freeze" ridden/hitched animals. I have a feeling a hitching post is not possible since it would run on the same mechanic as a hitched animal to a cart. Perhaps a better solution would be to make the animal go "offline" until the player logs back in (similar to the mechanic used for tamed animals).

Or for the love of god give us more than 10 min warning.

The one exploit i know of on restarts, besides getting to pray/meditate again, is that you can place a house outline and not have to finish it bfore placing another after restart.

I don't know why this seems to be such a difficult concept for Rolf, or any of the GMs we have to grasp. I know, they can't control when or if Rolf restarts the servers but they can sure as hell push the idea on him a bit.

I mean, seriously, we are all playing the same game. Can any of us honestly say that 10 minutes is a sufficient warning for the servers to go down for SCHEDULED maintenance? Especially given the negative impact this can have on a players experience?

If you're out on a cart in the middle of the woods, road, whatever and the server goes down there's about a 50% chance your horses will still be there when the server comes up. Now what if that carts heavy? Horses are now gone and you have no method of moving your cart in the middle of nowhere. Or if you're being chased by a mob? You're dead. If you're looking for your body on the wild?

I mean there's so many other things to list that it's absolutely astonishing that Rolf gives us a ten minute warning when I'm sure he's fully aware of all the problems that happen with a server restart.

Edited by GreenHero

Seriously? Again?

It's bad enough that the servers have come down on a near daily basis all week, worse that the losing animals thing still hasn't been fixed, and friggin retarded that even after threads like this one, we still only get a 10 minute notice.

What does it take to convince the powers that be to fix such an easily fixed bag of problems?

It should definitely be a one hour countdown unless it is an emergency fix.

I believe the more eminent problem is losing stuffs on any kind of server restart or crash than actually need the warning to be longer.. Not really have a solution though except an item that automatically put horses on freeze when a restart or crash happens. Cause even with 'animals wont move until 10 minutes after restart' won't work for people who have been trying to enter the game but the game not available until they have to go sleep.

Rose, thats secondary, and most likely a much tougher fix.

But changing restart warning timer from 10 min to 60 min is one variable.

• Like 1

Hi,

I'd love to see both:

- earlier warning, if possible, and

- an easy to make, short-lived hitching post. Made from 1 shaft, lasting 24 rl hours. Have something leaded, hitch it, and it will be safe for this avatar only to take back, for some time.

Shouldn't be such a pain to code, but would be so much welcomed by nearly all of the players!

Have fun!

As much as I like this game (enough to go premium after maxing several of my skills), the intermittent connectivity of it makes me want to play something else, more often than not. I hope the developers recognise the need for a more consistent server/network setup than whatever they have going on now, as it just ain't cutting it.

gees..... how about a little red flashing icon with time for people that cant read??

It's not the point of reading the warning or not. It's the unannounced maintenance shutdowns that only give 10 min warning in game

gees..... how about a little red flashing icon with time for people that cant read??

For someone who whines as much as you do about everything I would imagine you'd be a little more accepting of a very simple request.

I don't know why this seems to be such a difficult concept for Rolf, or any of the GMs we have to grasp. I know, they can't control when or if Rolf restarts the servers but they can sure as hell push the idea on him a bit.
You make it sound like we don't understand, and haven't suggested it, which are both false :P

a new "event" window would be nice also, one that shows only gm messages and majorly important stuff, since they normally get lost between all those: "you start to mine" messages....

a new "event" window would be nice also, one that shows only gm messages and majorly important stuff, since they normally get lost between all those: "you start to mine" messages....

I believe I've suggested this before, but instead of having so many event windows it would be nice to have just 1 but with a drop-down to filter. e.g.

Event

- All (All messages)

- Combat (All combat related messages)

- System (Admin messages etc)

- Action

- Skill

- Information (/weather, /uptime, /who etc, new deeds/disbands)

With the added ability to include/exclude certain channels via checkbox from the event window, however the System and Information windows are forced and cannot be hidden).

The trouble with having toggleable admin messages option, is some people would turn it off, and potentially miss crucial info which in the worst case scenario could result in a ban. I like the idea for the general info which sweeps through, but having a seperate 'announcements' window could work well. This would be permanently open and would have the added benefit of not needing to have messages flashing through every 30 mins (which, let's face it, does become old), because the message would appear on log in, and not be bumped off until something like a server restart was going to happen.

• Like 2

The trouble with having toggleable admin messages option, is some people would turn it off, and potentially miss crucial info which in the worst case scenario could result in a ban. I like the idea for the general info which sweeps through, but having a seperate 'announcements' window could work well. This would be permanently open and would have the added benefit of not needing to have messages flashing through every 30 mins (which, let's face it, does become old), because the message would appear on log in, and not be bumped off until something like a server restart was going to happen.

sounds good ;) maybe this window would be non closable too

Hordy, did you miss the bit where I said :

...however the System and Information windows are forced and cannot be hidden.

What I meant by that is no matter what toggles are set, the information is presented to the Event window.

An even better idea would be a MOTD which is presented on logon. This message must be accepted by the player before they are able to move/chat in game, therefore negating the possibility of "I didn't see that message". The MOTD is also redisplayed to players who are currently logged in if and when it is changed. Hitting accept to this window will ensure players agree to this before playing and forfeit any appeal for ignoring the MOTD.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Hordern, March 11, 2013 - double post
Hidden by Hordern, March 11, 2013 - double post

Hordy, did you miss the bit where I said :

...however the System and Information windows are forced and cannot be hidden.

Yes. I did :P

However, that line doesn't compute with your idea immediately above of beig able to have 1 window. Why have togglable fields for 1 window that will always show those lines anyway, and then say that the windows (multiple...) will stay open?

Yes bwg, yes I did miss it :P However, be fair, your idea was for 1 window with togglable options, then you go on to say multiple windows will remain open - it's a tad confusing ;)

But just to proove I'm not the only one:

sounds good ;) maybe this window would be non closable too

This would be permanently open

Unless that was a heckle because I missed it in bwg's post :P

Hordern,

Has Rolf or anyone else given a reason not to change the autoannouncement timer from 600 sec to 3600 sec? Its one variable.

Ok - so I'll be clearer. :P

zISPYbE.png

Right click the event tab (or something) and then you can filter by the list above. Clicking Customise All allows you to show/hide combat, action and skill ticks.

However, by default, logging takes place as normal, for the sake of continuity and the Wurm tool.

Edited by bwg

Nice idea bwg, but you are derailing the thread (grin)

Wht do we want?

More notice!

When do we want it?

Soon

• Like 1

And its not a true countdown, look at the times on these messages:

[10:18:12] The server is shutting down in 600 seconds. Reason: Maintenance restart. Up to thirty minutes downtime.

[10:23:11] 5 minutes to shutdown. Reason: Maintenance restart. Up to thirty minutes downtime.

[10:25:11] 3 minutes to shutdown. Reason: Maintenance restart. Up to thirty minutes downtime.

[10:27:11] 1 minute to shutdown. Reason: Maintenance restart. Up to thirty minutes downtime.

[10:27:51] 20 seconds to shutdown. Reason: Maintenance restart. Up to thirty minutes downtime.

[10:28:01] 10 seconds to shutdown. Reason: Maintenance restart. Up to thirty minutes downtime.

[10:28:08] Server shutting down NOW!/%7?o#### NO CARRIER

Notice! We were cheated out of 4 seconds! Bastards!!!!!! Where's my 2 dollars?!?!?