Sign in to follow this  
Archaegeo

What Could Be Done To Encourage People To Get Off Their...deeds?

The issue is that if I suddenly have to log, it means another 30 minutes to an hour before I can actually log out or me ditching yet another 5 speeder. Of course I can just kill the horse and grab the gear before logging, but that hardly solves anything

Also how do stuff like hitching posts or animals logging out with your character threaten you?

You miss my point which is why do you think you need your horse to explore wurm?

Yes the server issues should not make loosing your horse possible (though PVE is fair game), but you do not actually need a horse to explore.

So rather than saying "I do not explore even though I want to because I might lose my horse", instead you should be saying "I went for a hike last weekend and had fun".

Otherwise you are just using it as an excuse to not leave your deed. You have feet so the only thing preventing you from leaving the deed is you really do not want to, which is OK if that is your playstyle....

Edited by yarnevk

It's true that a lot of people like to stay in their deeds for the point of being self-contained, but this doesn't mean that to create new things that would draw people out of their deeds would make anyone obliged to attend - it would add to the fun greatly though.

The feature I would like to see is if you log out or disconnect while riding a horse, the horse logs out with you. This is without having to tame the horse first of course which is not usually desirable. I travel mostly by boat because of this problem so I haven't seen much of the inland of my server.

If there were beds on boats (and on the large ones there should be) id be a sailing fool

You need to encourage yourself to do anything in wurm. Set a goal for yourself and go out there. You shouldn't need the game to "encourage" you in doing something, and that is the beauty of wurm.

One thing to keep in mind is that I do travel with friends to do whatever as it comes up, so my time off deed is never really decided, perhaps the OP just needs more friends.

Sure I shouldnt need the game to encourage me to go do things, I can set my own goals.

But there is NOTHING wrong about there being more options to go and do.

A sandbox is pretty boring if its full of nothing but sand, you add a shovel and pail, you got a party. Put up a net and get a ball, and its game on, etc.

One thing to keep in mind is that I do travel with friends to do whatever as it comes up, so my time off deed is never really decided, perhaps the OP just needs more friends.

Kadore, why does this have to be about insulting me regarding the number of friends I have?

The post question is, What can be done to encourage people to leave their deeds more often?

The gist of it is, "What things can be added to the world to encourage you to go and explore more often?"

Not, "Lets insult the OP and see if that solves his issue".

Kadore, why does this have to be about insulting me regarding the number of friends I have?

The post question is, What can be done to encourage people to leave their deeds more often?

The gist of it is, "What things can be added to the world to encourage you to go and explore more often?"

Not, "Lets insult the OP and see if that solves his issue".

Not insulting at all, you mention people don't leave their deeds, I mentioned I do with my friends, I don't need a grand reason, reward or anything else given by the game to decide, " Hey, I think I'll go hunting with so and so" .

Sure I shouldnt need the game to encourage me to go do things, I can set my own goals.

But there is NOTHING wrong about there being more options to go and do.

A sandbox is pretty boring if its full of nothing but sand, you add a shovel and pail, you got a party. Put up a net and get a ball, and its game on, etc.

Then you lack creative thinking. If it is not fun enough to go out right now, then do something else you find more enjoyable. People never leave their deeds? You should see the impalongs or other festivals. You have the tools, you just need to put them to use to encourage yourself and others.

This really is a very entrenched community.

Many find any change to be a flaw introduced to a perfect system (well, everyone wants bridges)

Its not perfect, and again, how does adding things that increases the enjoyment of others lessen your enjoyment in any way?

Making the game more fun or dynamic hurts nothing

I see the same names over and over again that seem to make a fuss about how other players simply don't agree with their opinion and they get mad about it....

why don't you just stay with your "idea", answer those you wanna answer too, instead of trying to convince those that clearly don't want a change? there are enough people who would want it....and you can't just change the community, by insulting everyone.....

• Like 1

Please no GM run events or anything. I know its been mentioned before, but why don't you try to organize something yourself? To be honest any "super special reward" that would encourage somebody to get off their deed is just putting people who prefer to hermit and stay on their deed at a disadvantage. In other words, the people who like to travel and go out already do so and the folks who prefer to stay on deed and hermit already do so aswell....no use trying to change attitudes or playstyles. We each get our own enjoyment from the game in different ways.

More events like easter and christmas but with more special things.

Randomly spawning goblins/troll villages that must be captured like guard towers

Respawning uniques

Edited by atazs

2) No place to secure animals. So if you take one you have to have enough time to do the whole round trip in one session. Otherwise you risk losing the animal. Likewise a crash will also probably cost you your animal.

One stable-like structure working like beds could be good, then people would build that in highways to people use for some irons coins.

Or maybe to just use in deeds. Would help people with horses. You just put some food in stable and no need to worry about the crop farming/vanishing or enchanted grass for some days. More QL of stable = more food/days you can keep to feed the horse.

Another idea: We can finding gems when mining why not old weapons or tools of the past, like in the real world? Nothing made to abuse or to end in holes in all land, but would be fun finding something "lost" when doing some tedious terraforming.

Please no GM run events or anything. I know its been mentioned before, but why don't you try to organize something yourself? To be honest any "super special reward" that would encourage somebody to get off their deed is just putting people who prefer to hermit and stay on their deed at a disadvantage. In other words, the people who like to travel and go out already do so and the folks who prefer to stay on deed and hermit already do so aswell....no use trying to change attitudes or playstyles. We each get our own enjoyment from the game in different ways.

But the money of traders is something "artificial", not only player made, then i dont see problem if the idea is server related. Why not random events like the missions in Epic but coming of the King?

But the money of traders is something "artificial", not only player made, then i dont see problem if the idea is server related. Why not random events like the missions in Epic but coming of the King?

what

im more curious with how things that would encourage people to leave their deeds more often threaten anyone who likes to remain on their own.

The only people I see it harming are those who feel if they cant do everything on their own deed then they are being cheated out of some achievement.

It hurts everyone who is waiting for the devs to fix the game breaking bugs, or add the features that most people want, if they stop working on those things just to add "encouragements" that probably will not change anyone's play style.

• Like 1

Sandbox games do not need NPC quests. Its a sandbox make your own quest. Make your own dungeon. Make your own labyrinth. Get off your horse get off your boat, and walk somewhere. Get your community together and decide to dig a pond. Or build a light house. Or haul a loom across the server, or haul a boat up a mountain.

Realize that the adventure is the adventure itself. Go climb that mountain you have been staring out of at your deed. Get your alliance together to form a hunting party even if it just means you all just end up getting hunted by spiders. Had I never explored I would not have seen a pair of champ spiders when they was the size of houses, literally camping on someones decaying house. I would not have been mauled by 20 mountain lions trying to get to the peak, I would not have run across two dozen free range herd of multicolor unicorns.

Adding safe travel in the name of portals just shrinks the world eliminating the need for a world to exist between the deeds entirely, you could get the exact same game using instanced housing/markets and eliminating the world. Adding quests is short term entertainment that gets stale the instant you run out and find out it is shovelware in the name of feed them new quests because that is what they want, it does not have to be good. So if you are not someone who could go outside and play as a kid, Wurm will never entertain you because you do not know how to entertain yourself.

Not having portals and fast travel did not stop the ancient world from building StoneHenge and making an annual trip there for one hell of a party.

Love it. :D

exploring is 1/2 the game to me, i travel every day or two from west exo to east exo (btween 2 of the 4 deeds i have up) and still see stuf i missed the 20 time i went that way already, specially wen the snows up.

Player builds/designs are very diverse and interesting as well as meeting people and having a chat, or helping out someone with a brick grind for a meal. bye bye farm have fun rotting while im away who cares, not me as im not at work ;)

my 2iron's worth on the topic anyway.

A lot of what people seem to be saying here is quests. Have you considered setting this stuff up yourself? There have been treasure hunts before which lead to people running manically all over inde, and it was wonderful. There's also been races that have had almost as entertaining results.... and this is all player-driven and community-encouraging without any work on the part of the devs.

Certainly, make it easier to move around (hitching posts, tents, liveable boats and whatnot) but don't introduce some reward specifically designed to get people to interact or move around, the game is a sandbox and should be its own reward.

This game doesn't have enough versatility and variety to enable us to create our own events. You also have village bonuses now which go against everything you just said. I see no reason why everything in this game should be player driven, It is quite possible to create quests with rewards that do not interfere with open game play. Anyone that plays this game knows that it is a major undertaking to organize players to do anything together, And any new player with no friends or neighbors, Should have the option to take on quests as a way to entertain themselves. This has always been the downfall of wurm in that it is not constantly entertaining. And in some cases is extreme drudgery rather than fun. Dredging being one of these unnecessarily difficult tasks. Just because a game is sandbox, That doesn't mean it has to be boring. Spice it up! Give people a reason to stay.

because the missions are supposed to drive the war between the gods. No Libia, no war between gods, no missions.

Ago,

Pretty weak reason to not have missions, our King could be sending us on them to better the kingdom.

If you want to do missions please feel free to go to Epic and do them, you don't even need to make another account for it as you can use the one you have.

Wurm doesn't need a mission system on the PvE servers, we make our own content which is the idea behind the game design.

I would rather Rolf and the dev team spend their time fixing the currently broken or buggy features we already have and adding ones we have been waiting for a while now ( ie bridges ) than playing about trying to get some artificial NPC system working for Freedom for the 2 or 3 players that feel the need to run quests.

Edited by Kediec