Sign in to follow this  
Akiyama

Weather Effects And Climent

today as i was mining away at a massive rock face a pure bit of genus hit me. The thunder storm around me started to flurry turning a wrathful storm in to a pleasant and peaceful snowfall. I was thinking What if! what if what i was wearing effected my body temperature. Maybe lf i was wearing less armor would i be cooler in the hot sun or, if it was cold would wearing more armor make me warmer allowing me to work longer.

some people would probably slander this idea, i don't blame you but personally Wurm has became to easy since i started playing. Adding in weather effects, or altitude effects in to our daily wurmian life's would make the game more enjoyable for me at lest.

Examples of what to expect.

Rain/Storms: a storm with all its wrath, blowing wind around you, your footing suffers because the sand, dirt, clay are wet, once easy foot paths become dangerous, steep inclines you once where able to pass become fall hazards.

Snow/Blizzard: A wall of pure white snow surrounds your village, the cold burrows deep in to your bones. the snow is blinding you can barely see your fence. as you tend to your herd of livestock the snow slows you down as you wade across the fields. ( Dirt, clay, grave, sand, grass, steppe gather snow. can be removed with shovel )

New Gear.

Fur Cloak: For the cold, ( includes a hood that can be worn over a helmet allow it to still be visible )

Cloth Cloak: for colder temperatures, like the fall season ( includes a hood that can be worn over a helmet allow it to still be visible )

Leather Cloak: For wear seasons like spring, can also be used in fall. ( includes a hood that can be worn over a helmet allow it to still be visible )

Fur Clothing: Same defense as leather armor only that its make for the cold ( gloves, pants, boots, stole * cloak slot *, Chest, hat. )

Barometer: allows you to gauge the amount of moisture in the air, high skill level will be able to predict changes in the weather. Higher QL equals more accuracy.

Thermometer: allows you to gauge the temperature. Higher QL equals more accuracy.

Extra effects:

Heat. being around a hot forge and wearing allot of clothing will cause you to over heat. counter by drinking more water and removing clothing

Cold. being cold will slow down your action timers and wears on your stamina faster. counter by adding warm clothing drinking warm drinks like warm mead or eating warm filling foods.

Wet. being wet from swimming in the hot temperature will cool you down, or give you a chance at hypothermia if its very cold outside. counter by using cotton cloth/rags to dry off with, or wear water resistant clothing like leather, metals extra.

This concludes my idea, if you see things you would want to add please do so. and remember! WURM! is not an easy world!

Edited by Akiyama
  • Like 4

some places would be naturally hotter. like the center of a desert. and some colder like on a tundra or the peak of a mountain. -.- indeed a typo on my part.

No, I'm all for different weather in the game but not it affecting me or anything around me. Don't want another thing to have to worry about.

Also, barometer and thermometer require glass, which is a different topic and is not yet in the game.

Edited by Shrimpiie

some people would probably slander this idea, i don't blame you but personally Wurm has became to easy since i started playing. Adding in weather effects, or altitude effects in to our daily wurmian life's would make the game more enjoyable for me at lest.

Go play on Epic, or Chaos. Theres an entire fresh aspect of the game you aren't seeing, if you are saying it's easy to play. Before adding in new content that may or may not be accepted by everyone, play the content already there.

i live on chaos thank you.

Edit: Chaos is no different then the rest of the Wurm world. aside from the PVP aspect same content as Freedom, and i started on Epic. Serenity... don't assume your right, suggestions are about ideas... if you have an idea related to mine be it negative or positive please post that.

Edit:

No, I'm all for different weather in the game but not it affecting me or anything around me. Don't want another thing to have to worry about.

Also, barometer and thermometer require glass, which is a different topic and is not yet in the game.

I've actually made a barometer in RL as part of an elementary school project, modern ones use glass, but its only requires a measurement device like a ruler, Oil... that we can get from olives, and a long strand of animal hair, say horse hair.

Edited by Akiyama

i live on chaos thank you.

Edit: Chaos is no different then the rest of the Wurm world. aside from the PVP aspect same content as Freedom, and i started on Epic. Serenity... don't assume your right, suggestions are about ideas... if you have an idea related to mine be it negative or positive please post that.

Edit:

I've actually made a barometer in RL as part of an elementary school project, modern ones use glass, but its only requires a measurement device like a ruler, Oil... that we can get from olives, and a long strand of animal hair, say horse hair.

Well thats good that you are in the PVP scene, I only assumed because, PVP is ever changing, ever evolving. So someone who plays PVP saying the game is getting stale, either doesn't like the game to begin with, or isn't usually doing much PVP. That being said, while i personally LOVE survival games, like HARDCORE survival games, wurm is not one. Wurm has not been marketted as hardcore survival and thus this change would be unwelcome amongst the general populous. Features like this are just too intense for the game that I have been marketted, and playing. Introducing features like that need to happen at the beginning of development, and the games marketing needs to set expectations for that kinda stuff.

Before adding in new content that may or may not be accepted by everyone

Please name me one feature that would be universally accepted. Survival *is* the only real gameplay on PvE servers so it should be more fleshed out.

With the new(ish) multi-floors.. what if snow started to pile up and up and up? If you didn't shovel your walkways, they'd start to get a wall of snow on them?

• Like 1

Common knowledge is that is is 100% impossible to please everyone. the features i suggested would not effect the prepared. As to the snow that idea was half baked i don't know how if at all that would work. i don't think the snow would ever honestly get that deep some sort of limit on it. so its still passable but worth shoveling.

i said the game is getting easy. not stale, i never have a dull moment in Wurm. i'm trying to expand my ideas and seeing what can become of it. Maybe my idea is flawed... who cares i was brave enough to post my thoughts.

Really, you are going to take that innocence stance? Ideas get bombed out all the time, don't recoil like yours is any different.

Please name me one feature that would be universally accepted. Survival *is* the only real gameplay on PvE servers so it should be more fleshed out.

Not quite true, people don't really survive in PvE, they just build and craft, it can be very easy to live a secure life inside your deed. So it doesn't need to be more fleshed out, people that aren't into the dangerous lifestyle of Epic go to Freedom for relaxation and more easy going, it is sandbox, you don't need to flesh it out to be more dangerous.

Not quite true, people don't really survive in PvE, they just build and craft, it can be very easy to live a secure life inside your deed.

However much of the building and crafting is either to make survival take less time and effort to do, earn silver to pay for stuff either for more timer or to make things even simpler, and lastly to just build pretty and interesting things. However I'd argue that the last point is no more gameplay than drawing a pretty picture in paint. Without some sort of opposition or a way to rank yourself you're not playing a game. That's not to say there is anything wrong with being artistic or that it's not enjoyable, it's just not gameplay. The only real gameplay in wurm for PvE is the survival and playing a virtual capitalism game with the market.

i like it - this makes it more complicated to live somewhere abondend

I'm against this for the simple reason that if I wanted to go exploring effectively, I would have to fill my inventory with a whole bunch of varied clothing.

Realism is fine to a point...

Spirited debate, many fine points on why its a bad idea for the general populace. that is what the suggestions are for.

Honestly there's a lot to suggest this is a good idea.

Furs that currently have no additional use being first and foremost.

One of the things that strikes me about Wurm is that it's a bit of a sandbox wilderness survival game.  It only makes sense that throughout the seasons we'd encounter issues with heat, cold, rain, etc.

The simplest suggestions I have for this are:

Cold -

1 - Fur Clothing to defend against the cold, new damage type 'frostbite'

2 - Proximity to heat source reducing negative effects of cold weather.

3 - Snowy times increasing the effective 'slope' of an area, making rock-faces slippery and treacherous.

(This weather situation becomes more or less dire dependent on altitude and terrain, high altitudes are colder, lower ones warmer, being on the desert side of a mountain range will result in warmer temperatures)

Warm -
1 - Gives cloth armor a purpose.  Too hot for leather, working in the desert will result in bad things for you.  Without armor is worse, opening you up for sunburn. (New use for farmers salve/New salve?)

2 - Water consumption increased in hot weather.

3 - Work times increased.

4 - Caves offer relief, nighttime cooler than day.

SubNote

Starting sets of equipment could alter based on time of year.  Cloth provided during summer, furs during winter.  Just to keep the newbs alive. ;)

Edited by LunariusHaberdash

Bumpy bump. I like the idea of having to worry about exposure.

One can dream.

EDIT: No wait... that's right we don't dream in Wurm. :P

Edited by Klaa

Honestly there's a lot to suggest this is a good idea.

Furs that currently have no additional use being first and foremost.

One of the things that strikes me about Wurm is that it's a bit of a sandbox wilderness survival game.  It only makes sense that throughout the seasons we'd encounter issues with heat, cold, rain, etc.

The simplest suggestions I have for this are:

Cold -

1 - Fur Clothing to defend against the cold, new damage type 'frostbite'

2 - Proximity to heat source reducing negative effects of cold weather.

3 - Snowy times increasing the effective 'slope' of an area, making rock-faces slippery and treacherous.

(This weather situation becomes more or less dire dependent on altitude and terrain, high altitudes are colder, lower ones warmer, being on the desert side of a mountain range will result in warmer temperatures)

Warm -

1 - Gives cloth armor a purpose.  Too hot for leather, working in the desert will result in bad things for you.  Without armor is worse, opening you up for sunburn. (New use for farmers salve/New salve?)

2 - Water consumption increased in hot weather.

3 - Work times increased.

4 - Caves offer relief, nighttime cooler than day.

SubNote

Starting sets of equipment could alter based on time of year.  Cloth provided during summer, furs during winter.  Just to keep the newbs alive. ;)

I read several threads on weather and climate having more impact and contributing to survival immersion - this small list is the best so far, without being too complicate or unnecessary realistic and thus gamebreaking.

I'm a new player, playing for about a month on Desertion, I never heard about Wurm untill I left Darkfall:Unholly Wars searching for more sand in a sandbox MMORPG.

Considering the game has falling damage, bleeding effects, thirst, hunger, drowning - I was very surprised and somewhat diappointed that seasons and weather don't actually influence anything. As a popular unofficial Wurm trailer states - you can cut down any tree and mine any rock, idea being everything one SEES ingame is interactive, I think such a huge visual element as weather and seasons change should have its influence on wilderness survival, at least on somewhat 'hardcore' epic servers.

And here we see two kinds of opinions - of people who want more hardcore, and people who don't want another mechanic to worry about.

The middle ground is a system that should be intuitive. Simple to understand, not overcomplicated. Entertaining, not gamebreaking. It should use already existing elements of the game. (for example furs use suggested by OP of thread)

To suggestions above, I would add:

• introduce enviromental type damage and corresponding wounds with different levels of severity - heat stroke and hypotermia as results of exposure to extreme conditions
  • give player:

1) easy ways to monitor character condition (not weather, but its effect on character) - another slider similar to hunger or thirst will do

2) weather can be monitored without Kelvins or Celcius or any other exact numbers - if you see snow its freezing cold, if you see yellow leaves on ground its somewhat cold, weather can be narrative and visual, as everything else in game is

3) easy ways to overcome ill effects (heat stroke damage, hypotermia damage) - wearing specific clothing, entering a house or cave for about 10-60 seconds will do, swiming in water or standing in the tile with a heat source, using consumable which can give greater resistance to ill weather effects - like water or limonade, heated wine or water, stew, any heated meal in general

• make hunger and thirst influence weather effects and vice versa. Cold weather makes you hungry a bit faster, staying well fed will result in better resistance to cold. Hot weather makes you thirsty a bit faster, drinking water often results in better resistance to heat. Eating and drinking right food or beverage will reduce severity of enviromental damage and ill effects.
  • enviromental damage and ill effects should somewhat influence stamina usage and regeneration, as well as movement speed
  • make harvest  also dependant on season, no crops in winter, more mushrooms in autumn, increase the difficulty of foraging and botanazing in winter
  • swimming in winter should be deadly - stamina drains much faster, recieve hypotermia damage and drown. Let there be at least one deadly effect of weather.
  • clothes and armor should give slight bonuses and penalties to resisting weather effects, like wearing metal armor at summer results in greater chance of recieving heat stroke wounds, and fur clothes giving resistance to cold
  • add extreme weather effects - like rainstorms, blizzards or anomaly hot weaher, exposure to these should result in enviromental wounds and lowered movement speed. These extreme conditions can be breef - maybe about 10 minutes realtime, exposure can be avoided by entering a structure or cave, and to lesser extent - standing on tiles with trees growing on it. Player can recieve messages 5-15 minutes before these happen, like "Dark clouds are gathering on horizon, a storm is aproaching" - so everyone has enough time to hide.

I thinks such system won't bother anyone more than hunger ang thirst do right now - as there are plenty of ways to negate these effects, and it can be done in 10-20 seconds. If its hot - go swim a bit. Or if character is freezing after working for several hours outside - drink something hot, or enter a house or a cave for some time, or make a campfire.

I saw some comments that Wurm has become a lot easier in order to suit new players. As one of those new players, I think that sandbox  MMORPG  game should be complex and immersive and somewhat hardcore in order to be interresting,  as long as it is easy to learn and intuitive - which has nothing to do with its coplexity.

Easy to learn - yes, but not primitive, cause that's not what new players come here for.

I agree with this idea. It always struck me as odd that winter, when snow is everywhere, its just as easy to move about and work as anywhere else. I I think, for some of the standard 'temperate' servers; some minor tweaks should apply. Increased stamina drain and hypo damage when swimming, lowered movement speed in winter 50% for foot/25% for cart (there is a reason why people didn't go to war during the winter), and maybe a 'cold effector' which decreases skill gain, or helps consume nutrition faster.

Then, some servers might be designated as 'arctic' or 'tropical' with more severe weather effects. Throw in some unique resources or opportunities to these new servers to incentivize, and I think its a good idea.

Just my 2c.

• Like 1