Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Q&a Postponed Again - Sorry!

We’re really sorry to have to postpone the Q&A again, but Rolf has been unable to secure proper internet access for the session tonight.

The final date for the Q&A is Tuesday, 26th February from 9PM CET.

The questions we have recieved so far have been great and we would love to hear even more of them emailed to ross@wurmonline.com.

We’re very sorry if anyone has made any special arrangements to be able to attend tonight. We tried our best but it does not appear that Rolf’s internet access is suitable to attend so we have no choice.

Thanks,

Ross Whiting (Wossoo) - Ross@wurmonline.com
Public Relations Manager

View the tumblr article

A game developer without access to the internet.

Sounds like a bad joke.

• Like 8

A game developer without access to the internet.

Sounds like a bad joke.

Rolf is on holiday at the moment, it's unfortunate but where he is he can't get reliable internet access. IMO there would be nothing worse than 400 people all in #wurm ready for the Q&A at 8PM only to have Rolf's internet drop out and let down all 400 people :L

Also, anyone who can't make the next date shouldn't fear, chatlogs of the whole Q&A will be published so you won't miss anything even if you do miss it :)

• Like 1

Is this the second time recently he's been unable to 'secure internet'? :D

He sure goes on holidays a lot

• Like 5

Rolf is on holiday at the moment

When is he not? Also i wonder if notch and rolf are related...

This is a joke. Currently towers are bugged and we are not allowed to capture them and there are champions on epic who are losing their champ status because of this I also like how we were informed that he is on holiday.

This is a god damn joke

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

Also i wonder if notch and rolf are related...

Well Rolf and Notch are friends who started developing Wurm... out of an Eve Online Corporation. That tells you enough? :D

Edited by Keldun

When is he not? Also i wonder if notch and rolf are related...

This is a joke. Currently towers are bugged and we are not allowed to capture them and there are champions on epic who are losing their champ status because of this I also like how we were informed that he is on holiday.

This is a god damn joke

I doubt Rolf has more holiday than all working people in Sweden, which I guess would be 6 weeks. I never heard of any boss that announces his schedule to his customers, do you want to know when he has to go to the toilet as well?

These bugs are unfortunate, but I don't think its fair to expect him to cancel a planned holiday with his family. But I guess you would have preferred if Rolf had waited till next week after his holiday to implement the changes you have been crying for for over a year?

These bugs are unfortunate, but I don't think its fair to expect him to cancel a planned holiday with his family. But I guess you would have preferred if Rolf had waited till next week after his holiday to implement the changes you have been crying for for over a year?

No actually, i would have prefferred him to actually hire someone to take care of this god damn bugs that actually affects champions which can affect people's accounts. And yes incase of Rolf when he is the only one that has access to a lot of important data i do want him to tell us when he is going on a ###### holiday.

Let me ask you something: How long does he want to continue this? How long does he want to keep going on holidays while we his paying customers suffer from bugs that cannot be fixed by anyone else other than himself and he does not have internet access. Because it has been going on for more than 3+ years now. Its not the fact that he goes on holidays thats fine but not when he is the only one that can fix these important bugs.

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

He is not the only one who can fix some of the bugs, Zcul for example has been contributing towards server development for some time now.

He is not the only one who can fix some of the bugs, Zcul for example has been contributing towards server development for some time now.

Is he on holiday too? Or why havent the bugged towers been fixed for 3-4 days now then?

Edited by atazs

this is all i have to say, he was just on HOLIDAY for xmas and new years. My deeds disabled. has been since it exploded. my old buildings were never removed from the database so that shiny 23s 75c i pay a month in upkeep is for my health. As now i cant finish rebuilding and ive already lost 2 new buildings. So while rolfs out doing watever. A PAYING customer sits and watchs his money get rolf his drinks while i sit and watch a purty deed collect dust. Tis all im saying as well you all really dont want to know whats on my mind. I didnt cause this ethier, Rolf did. So chaos, feel my pain.......as i know yours. Also, take note only rolf can fix this, rest of the devs dont have access to wat needs fixed.

Edited by fatboy
  • Like 1

Why is rolf taking so many holidays? Shouldnt he be useing that money to hire more staff members?

Or getting the staff he already has off volunteer work and on paid statues?

Edited by Ronnie

Holidays are perfectly good times to have a breather and escape the Wurm bubble for a short period of time before coming back into it refreshed.

I wouldnt say that Rolf is taking an extraordinary ammount of holiday time though, but when he does it is noticeable because some important fixes get slightly delayed.

I know that in some countries outside the U.S. people get much more holiday time per year than we do. France, for example, has a mandatory 5 weeks of vacation per year. It actually makes sense to a degree, work to live not live to work.

However, I also do wish that more time would be spent fixing bugs and improving the game in general. Just trying to offer another viewpoint here.

Edit: Yes, I know Rolf is self employed and vacation time doesn't really apply because of that but still. I'm making a point about how vacation time can be viewed differently in different parts of the world.

Edited by Laiwyn

let him have his vacation jäsus chräst!

leave rolf alone

• Like 2

Fair play to him, if I had people like Atazs constantly on my back, I'd want a break too.

• Like 1

You guys keep going on about bugs all the time. That is the point! There is always bugs to fix, there always will be no matter what, there will always be the next one to work on, always another one cropping up -.-*

I would imagine that taking breaks is extremely well deserved, are you not thankful for everything that has been given for you so far? You have a game to play, things to build, places to go. This is his job, some time away from it would be great I would imagine, to nearly everyone here, this isn't a job, this is simply something to do in your free time. Cut him some slack, you guys aren't the only ones that a massive bug has ever hit. I do feel terrible for Fatboy and his deed but for petes sake allow Rolf to relax, you guys try being the one that is scrutinized when you try to take breaks from something you have been doing since what, 2004?

just a moth ago he was on holiday though, thats the point. He was just on holiday. Sure if it was maybe 4months ago. But really...

Edited by Ronnie

But it isn't up to anyone but him to decide if his holiday is justified or not. It is his vacation, imagine if you had to work around the clock and listen to/work on loads of bugs every single day, for people that play this game on their off time.

But it isn't up to anyone but him to decide if his holiday is justified or not. It is his vacation, imagine if you had to work around the clock and listen to/work on loads of bugs every single day, for people that play this game on their off time.

Yeah because working on bugs is top priority around here it seems.

/sarcasm

And it is sooo terribly easy to fix everything that comes across the desk

/sarcasm

While I support everyone's ability to take time off, I think the major issue is the appearance. 3 or 4 known "holiday's"/"vacation" times since last July, but usually falling during a period of major change.

• July-Aug '12 - (Multi-Week break) New server/F2P accounts unable to to get to the server (on top of the server specific skill and stability issues [Rolf actually was working during this period while on vacation with his family as seen by server updates and code changes]
  • Dec '12 - 1.0 Launch and the new headaches with multistory, more new servers and stability issues [Again, holiday with family where Rolf and the team were putting in extra hours]
  • Feb '13 - Current server/database issues/Q&A reschedules

The problem here is that folks tend to remember and highlight the "He's out on holiday/vacation" comments, but not the "he's updating the server code from a laptop connected to the internet via tin-can" information.

I know there are likely more threads with more dates, but these were the ones I could get to show up from within the last 6 or so months. So averaging 1 holiday period every ~2 months.. my bosses would likely be happy if that was all the time I took off lol

::edit insert:: yes, it is a bit different when you're the point person for major systems/components or the CEO/owner/etc... But as already stated, there are more folks being brought up to speed on more of these areas that Rolf has been the single point on for about a decade, if we've waited this long.. give it a couple more months on the hand off and hopefully we'll see a difference (would prefer for it to be a good difference by the way lol)

Edited by Hussars

And it is sooo terribly easy to fix everything that comes across the desk

/sarcasm

Please, spare the butt-kissing. We all know that bugs don't get the attention they need around here. I've already said my piece in this thread previously anyhow.

Sign in to follow this