Sign in to follow this  
Ariexee

Roleplaying And Heirlooms

Recently I got into heirlooms. Being a major roleplayer myself, I found them quite interesting and planned to make one myself.

My friend mentioned that Heirlooms where quite like fanfiction. Being a fan of that too, the heirloom I plan to make would have a massive story to it, and I would roleplay it out fairly so its legit.

This thread is kind of asking the rest of wurm, what is your opinion on heirlooms, and roleplayer ingame generally. Do you think the heirloom concept is a good idea? maybe for marketing, player made scenarios (Capture the sword) or as I planned to add, a whole player made religion (not a demi-god but kind of "Disciple of vynora!") Like, Should Heirlooms even exist? and what exstent should they go to?

To be frank I wish if you made a supreme item, or maybe just Fantastic, you should have ability to rename the whole item. Like turning a longsword permanently into, "The Scimitar of Kellon" or something player-named. Honestly I wish you could do that already with normal items, yes there's a rename feature but why not just actually rename the item? We know it's a longsword.

• Like 3

To be frank I wish if you made a supreme item, or maybe just Fantastic, you should have ability to rename the whole item. Like turning a longsword permanently into, "The Scimitar of Kellon" or something player-named. Honestly I wish you could do that already with normal items, yes there's a rename feature but why not just actually rename the item? We know it's a longsword.

With that it would be easy to dupe mission weapons, just make a steel longsword and rename it and sell it for 1g. Im talking about is even bothering to bring this subject up worth it?

Well Heirlooms are useless. Sure if I found one id play along with it, but on an heirloom of the scale you want to make people probably won't follow unless they get some kind of benefit. And I don't really understand Wurm roleplay, it was never an interest of mine :P Having someone succeed in what your trying to do would be pretty cool tho! :D

Its mixed... some get into it and others don't. Not to mention someone complaining about another's roleplay.

For example there was a particular set of armor a player made as a "God of War" item. The stated intent was that victors would keep the armor while recording fights it was used in. The typical capture-the-macguffin scenario.

During a particularly vicious fight over a then-commonly contested area, the creator was isolated and killed. Now this player (not to name names) was not well-respected for various reasons, so suffice it to say... the victors took the armor and destroyed it.

Course the sacrificing of the armor to Libila was easily within roleplaying. At least imho.

EDIT: Personally its all good long as one doesn't do any godmodding or metagaming.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

yea, im not going to make a 20ql short sword and call it a heirloom, id obviously make it usefull. If I where to make a sword heirloom, it would be 90ql (and rare if I could) But my question is, before I do it, should it be steel? what in your opinion makes a good heirloom?

Difficult to make, high power, some kind of history among players, etc

Steel would be one such option; though, its main ingame feature is a reduction to usage dmg. On the other hand, high quality steel lumps require decent skill in at least two separate skills.

Edited by Klaa

Well, in my humble opinion, and regarding role play. I would say that the material and quality of the sword itself is irrelevant, its the story behind the weapon that counts for it. Maybe you kill your first lava spider, lava fiend with it, and after that you name it something like "insert cool name here", and after that you can improve it, and hire a priest to enchant it. And so with time the item becomes imbued with what really makes a heirloom, or relic, wich is the moral boost that such items bring to the table, more than the basic uses it could have.

A 20Q short sword COULD be a hairloom, if through yoru adventures you manage to acomplish something important with it, then it would become even a more important item, defying the precognitions of bigger=better.

Just my 2 cents.