Sign in to follow this  
lawurm

What Can A Gm/ca Really Do For Us?

I pay euros for game time and game coin so i can help support game dev. etc..

But why should i continue to do so...

I haven't had to use /support more than once and have found CA help to be really helpful advice and tips etc..

What exactly can CA/gm do in game?

It seems to me they are just players with that title, i felt a little cheesed that with a /support i was treated exactly the same as if i had of started a question in CA help chat.

don't want names here or a flood of bag them out, i am trying to find out if were are better of just helping each other and forgetting about gm support altogether. (takes hours of game play away waiting)

Edited by lawurm
  • Like 1

most gms are pretty busy.. so if you don't have an actual bug/glitch or rule breaking problem then yea you'll probably have to ask a CA.

and rather than doing /support it's possible to contact staff members in other methods, such as forum pm, irc, and sometimes ingame.

Doing /support, you'll normally get a CM first. Then, if they aren't able to help, they pass it along to the GMs. If THEY can't help you, it goes to the devs/Rolf. Basically just weeds out the things that don't require dev help.

• Like 1

Tiered support is present in all walks of life. The CMs need a stepping stone to get to maybe one day be offered GM status too.

Some of the better CMs will actually pass you straight into the GM queue if they know your query can't be solved by them.

Keep up the good work!

Maybe some more detail for this:

Afaik all support staff are regular players, which is a good thing as they know what they are dealing with as they have experienced it themselves.

CA - Community Assistant: These are just Players that have volunteered to monitor the Help channel, nothing more.

CM - Chat Moderator: They check all chat including your /support chat in order to diminish spam and abuse. They also check that you are not just making any mistakes, but have an actual bug and that you tried every fix you can yourself. It reduced the workload for the already Busy GMs. A lot of CM (maybe all?) are also CAs. That's why the two positions get confused sometimes and why the initial treatment in both channels feels the same. They can only deal with Chat though.

GM - Game Master: These are trusted people, that can use game mechanics without limitations in order to fix bugs. This is a heavy duty tool you only use when everything else fails and some of these are even reserved for Head GM or Rolf only. They can only use the mechanics implemented in the game though, however most of the time that's enough. If they can't do it they finally send you to the Devs to check the database directly.

It's a regular tiered system that keeps the higher ups more time to do the job they are needed for.

edit: included the limitations for GMs.

Edited by Keldun
  • Like 2

Keldun's post details the roles pretty well. One minor thing that I think should be clarified, though:

GM - Game Master: These are trusted people, that can completely use all game mechanics without any limitations in order to fix bugs. This is a heavy duty tool you only use when everything else fails.They can only use the mechanics implemented in the game though, however most of the items that's enough. If they can't do it they finally send you to the devs.

GMs do actually have some limitations to their granted abilities, and can't do everything. Some situations may require a lead or head GM, or even Rolf himself.

I think it's important to remember that everyone on staff is just another player, the same as you. They aren't getting paid, nor do they get free premium time, and all the help they give is happening during their playing time, too.

• Like 3

- Yesterday I rescued cart and 2 horses from behind mine wall, after small "tip and trick" from /CA.

- Once GM saved my ship stucked into tunnel exit.

- In past I had bad accident, while my body was sucked into cave-in mine entrance. I lost there drake armor set and most of my tools. CAs helped me by good advices.

- My place is by tunnel entrance and I see "yelow names" (GMs) in local often, helping players with their stucked ships.

- In my very beginning of WURM existence, I had problem with payment of premium, wise CA pointed me in right direction and I was able solve that problem.

I can say from my own experience, all that guys are nice and helpful. Thanks them all for that.

Edited by Zakerak

CAs are people that supposedly know the game and volunteer to help others, though all you'll get is a half-assed answer and a louzy "your welcome". I'd rather go without the help than have someone so sourly answer my question. And I've used /support queries 6 or 7 times in the 3-4 years I've played and it seems the only GM who ever seems to help is Tipikol and i don't mean he's the only GM who responds to my queries.

I pay euros for game time and game coin so i can help support game dev. etc..

But why should i continue to do so...

I haven't had to use /support more than once and have found CA help to be really helpful advice and tips etc..

What exactly can CA/gm do in game?

It seems to me they are just players with that title, i felt a little cheesed that with a /support i was treated exactly the same as if i had of started a question in CA help chat.

don't want names here or a flood of bag them out, i am trying to find out if were are better of just helping each other and forgetting about gm support altogether. (takes hours of game play away waiting)

To pay for development of the game to make it even better than it is now. Most if not all CM/CA/GM/XX/AA/YY are volunteers so it's not their fulltime job to do so. Nobody said you are paying for /support, you are paying for the development of a great game! :)

Hi

You do not pay to support the development of the game. You pay so you can receive game time and in-game coins. Both of which are purely optional. Paying does not increase the level of support you receive.

The CM and CA's are volunteers and do so purely for love of the game and to help the game continue to be what it is and protect others playing the game by muting/warning spammers / abusive players and keeping topics chat friendly.

The GM, I have no idea if they are paid or not, from my contact with GM's I would say the majority are not paid and only the head GM's are. They too are also helping out the game so that they can continue to play it and see it develop and help out the limited development team by taking the pressure off support tickets of them.

This is not World of Warcraft or other main stream MMO whereby you have access to a couple of hundred support staff to help you get back those 10 wolf meat that you lost to a angry orcasaur. This is a low budget, indie MMO that is generally catered towards mature, self-sufficient gamers that like a challenge.

I apologise to others in this thread for this long post but some people don't seem to appreciate the level of support they are getting FOR FREE and the contribution made by other players to help the game continue to grow.

From the interaction I have had over the years with CA, CM, GM and Rofl has always been very helpful and has always resolved my issues. It may not have happened inside an hour, it may not have happened in 24 hours but it has always been dealt with. I have also had instances where I have had a /support response in under a minute.

Please don't make topics complaining about volunteers for a game. Would you go down to a charity shop and complain about the workers there too? You're getting help for free you inconsiderate person.

The GM position is not a paid position, nor are CA or CM. In fact, many of the devs, art and PR staff work entirely pro bono.

• Like 4

all you'll get is a half-assed answer and a louzy "your welcome". I'd rather go without the help than have someone so sourly answer my question.

Sometimes simple "yes" or "no" completely answers the question, no need to go with "Dear Sirs!... best regards" (?!)

Players that get dozens of their problems solved daily in CA channel would surely disagree with your statement.

• Like 3

Last I checked, GMs get a free premium account.... not sure who told me that but it was a GM. Honestly, 5 euros a month for HOURS upon HOURS of work as a moderator is tiny. GMs *definitely* have limits on their powers, they can't spawn items except on the test server, some things they need to contact the devs for.

Last I checked, GMs get a free premium account.... not sure who told me that but it was a GM. Honestly, 5 euros a month for HOURS upon HOURS of work as a moderator is tiny.

They may have been referring to the account with GM powers.

You are correct about GM's getting free premium for one of their player toons, Ryan. I'm not sharing any inside baseball that would get me in a bind for sharing said info when stating that, it's pretty much widely known that GM's get free premium for their main playing account. Obviously, their dedicated GM toon is also comped. I don't know if any GM's actually "play" on their GM accounts, everyone I know just uses them as a service account to take GM calls on. GM actions are logged extensively, of course.

Many indie games offer free subscriptions to their Game Masters/Mods (or equivalent terminology based on the particular game). It's a kind gesture Rolf offers, but I suspect most if not all GM (and well as devs, art staff, CA's, CM's, PR folks, etc) would do the job even if they (GM's in this case) were not offered free prem for one toon. Most people in staff roles just do the job because they want to make Wurm a better experience for the players. It's a kind gesture on the part of Rolf and it is certainly appreciated, but in the end it's 5 E value a month, so I highly doubt anyone has ever aspired to become a GM to save themselves 5 E a month, heh.

All staff roles can be infinitely frustrating for staff on a bad day, but ultimately rewarding on a good day if you ultimately know you've helped at least one person. I've often compared it to donating blood - it's often terribly frustrating and painful, but in the end it goes towards a greater good. Just my 2 bits, though - merely speaking on my own behalf and no one elses.

• Like 4

I was hoping that this might have been a "life of Brian" jokey thread sadly not.

Either way I believe the GMs could make some awesomely straight roads for us if they so wanted.

• Like 1

Hi

You do not pay to support the development of the game. You pay so you can receive game time and in-game coins. Both of which are purely optional. Paying does not increase the level of support you receive.

The CM and CA's are volunteers and do so purely for love of the game and to help the game continue to be what it is and protect others playing the game by muting/warning spammers / abusive players and keeping topics chat friendly.

The GM, I have no idea if they are paid or not, from my contact with GM's I would say the majority are not paid and only the head GM's are. They too are also helping out the game so that they can continue to play it and see it develop and help out the limited development team by taking the pressure off support tickets of them.

This is not World of Warcraft or other main stream MMO whereby you have access to a couple of hundred support staff to help you get back those 10 wolf meat that you lost to a angry orcasaur. This is a low budget, indie MMO that is generally catered towards mature, self-sufficient gamers that like a challenge.

I apologise to others in this thread for this long post but some people don't seem to appreciate the level of support they are getting FOR FREE and the contribution made by other players to help the game continue to grow.

From the interaction I have had over the years with CA, CM, GM and Rofl has always been very helpful and has always resolved my issues. It may not have happened inside an hour, it may not have happened in 24 hours but it has always been dealt with. I have also had instances where I have had a /support response in under a minute.

Please don't make topics complaining about volunteers for a game. Would you go down to a charity shop and complain about the workers there too? You're getting help for free you inconsiderate person.

i hope you feel better after that vent, lol. were exsactly do you think our money go's then... seriously mate if its not put bk into dev and overheads im defenatly not buying any more prem or game coin. I belive it is tho and you are wrong, so there you go. :blink:

Thank you all for some very constructive and informative posts (especially the ones that understode what i was asking)

And Keldun yours explaind it very nicely thanks :D

I've never had any bad experiences with any GM/CA/CM, although I will admit that I didn't always get what I wanted. Yes, it sometimes takes a long time to get a response from /support, but I am mature enough to realize that this is a small company with volunteers working many positions, and I am not the only one playing the game that has a problem. But I see that there is always a small group that thinks they are most important and that they must be taken care of immediately, and they demand what they want, even if it is not possible. I must say I really won't miss you if you leave.

I think the issue is that he doesn't understand what he's buying by buying premium time. He's afraid the money just goes to pointless CMs... he didn't quite grasp that the money goes to pay for the website, the server, for Rolf to be able to work on Wurm instead of have to go work for some other company and not develop them, etc.

Just remember, if you have a bad experience with any of the "staff", there is a staff list here to verify if they are actually "current staff", Contact Oracle or Enki (Head GM and Assistant Head GM) directly. They have a great track record for being fair and impartial, and they will look into issues related to staff complaints.

My personal experience with both has been nothing but positive, and given that I can be one of the more combative/vocal people when irked, that is saying something lol.

I have had to call a gm a cpl of times. One was very helpful and concerned and then next time i was treated rudely and without care. So I think its just luck of the draw.

so much i can say in response to the obvous trolls that can only skim my post to get there 2 iron in.

leave?

dear me you even read my post properly, lol. or just the replys to it... and when did i demand anything? stop acting like an uneducated fool, i dont even know u in game roflmao...

Yes i understand about game dev and were cash go's. and yes rolfs pocket is included in that.

i did say overheads, seriously as far as players with a title go's, it seems i was right on the money (helpfull community minded players given a title), except for a limited number of GM's who have special powers as i understand it now.

I didnt mention once i was upset or had a bad experiance, simply unhappy (ie didnt like the outcome). and i even thanked the suport guy for their time afterwards even tho i got no were with my problem.

Forum Mod/GM please close if u wish. i dont know if i can resist the constant replying to silly posts from people who obviously cant read. :wub:

I'd like to point out that being a GM volunteer isn't easy. I was accepted as a forum mod on another game, and I was really doing it for the free game time BUT you have a lot of responsibility, and you lose the freedom to express your opinion in a lot of situations. I quit after 2 weeks.

Most GMs/CAs have my respect as long as they follow the rules. It's not a easy job :P

• Like 1

You're not paying to get GMs/CMs to help you out. You're paying for premium playing time.