Sign in to follow this  
silakka

Marsh Removal

Leave marsh alone,

Fun filled fact:

Did you know, livestock eats off marsh tiles :) And cant be packed.

I set up some pens in marsh a month back. They wouldnt eat it and ended up starving. Also, marsh doesnt spread. Who perpetuates this nonsense?

Maybe its been changed with 1.0 patch?

I haven't tested it since 1.0 but the rumors have been around a lot longer than that. But why would Rolf nerf enchanted grass which took a lot of work for people to achieve, and then add in 1.0 some free-grass-for-life that lasts forever, is near impossible to destroy, never packs, and even (according to legend) even spreads?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

At least give us the chance to do as you'd do IRL and mix in sand or gravel or some other filler into the marsh to turn it into dirt, could even have a high difficulty to require decent digging skill.

At least give us the chance to do as you'd do IRL and mix in sand or gravel or some other filler into the marsh to turn it into dirt, could even have a high difficulty to require decent digging skill.

sand+gravel mixture sounds very good.

Floor boards just dont make sense, would just like to have some other a bit easier options.

I know everyone choosed to live there, but why they need to stay cursed =D?

My marsh has spreaded well over the waterlines.

Hmm never knew it spreads, learn something new every day.

Hmm never knew it spreads, learn something new every day.

It doesnt.

I have lived in the middle of a huge Marshland for over two years now. It took 200-300 floorboards just to make it a livable village and there are still LOTS of marshland bordering my farms, my pastures.. If not a single tile of marsh has "spread" to the bordering dirt/grass in over two years, then it either does not spread at all, or it is SUPER rare. I am not ruling out it is SUPER rare, but I would think I would have had at least some issues with it, and I never once have. My hunch is "never ever" but "once in a rare blue moon" could be statistical possible. One could also start a rumor that gold veins spread, since there is no reason to scientifically prove otherwise as long as you claim it is so rare no one sees it.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

When I started playing the marsh was well outside of my deed. Now it is inside the deed.

I think it only spreads west, same as kelp and reed do.

only west sounds logical, i have the same thing i think.

tried to compare the map marsh lines to my current and i saw some changes at west.. or maybe im bad lookin at maps.

if it doesnt spread then thank god.

would still be nice if floorboards werent the only option.

Yes, marsh does spread, although slowly. Only problem I have with marsh is that it will spread UPHILL. I've seen some very steep hills get covered with marsh, and that is just silly. It is marsh, it should only occur in a valley or flat area, and should only spread downhill. But of course, we have tundra in illogical places too, when it should only exist on mountaintops or in the far north (which we don't really have).

Edited by Vroomfondel

This will never be fixed, i remember asking the devs about this years ago and multiple times in IRC and they just didn't care. All the old guard cry about jobs for noobs or whatever and defend it, the attitude in this thread is nothing new. I made about 500+ boards to remove marsh in my area, and i got so sick of the game i didn't play again for a year.

I would say if you raise a marsh tile 5 (maybe 10) dirt/sand above water level in each corner then that should remove it, and it certainly shouldn't exist on steep slopes or spread upwards.

This way it still requires effort, underwater marsh will remain but would require a lot of effort to remove, it's somewhat realistic. Either way the floorboard marsh removal bug, and yes it is a bug and should be fixed, needs to be sorted once and for all. I have 93 dig skill but have to remove marsh with carpentry?

Marsh should be made a more valuable resource as a preferred location for aquatic spawn (reptile/fish). If fish bits is ever added that would make fish more valuable, especially catfish that would love the marsh.

The same is true of desert and tundra, terraform to grassland/forests should come at a cost of valuable spawns/forage/botany that you cannot get elsewhere, such that people think twice about ripping up unique terrain. Rather than community complaining about how hard it is to terraform, they would instead be saying it should be hard to terraform otherwise valuable resources are lost.

water based terrain such as clay and marsh should indeed only thrive near water level and die out if raised above it (say 10 dirt?)

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1