Sign in to follow this  
Warlander

New House Calculator

Yet another tool from me, I hope you will like it. ;) Current version of this calculator/mapper is advanced beta - all major features are done, everything is working without problems.

You need Java 7 to run this program!

New, 3d version thread

Versions below are outdated:

JNLP (resizable) version

Resizable applet

Applet, 800X600

Applet, 1000X600

Applet, 1200X700

I can add any applet size on demand, please write in this thread or send me PM.

Any suggestions, found bugs/inaccuracies?

Bugs found:

-clipboard features does not work in applet edition (pastebin.com support will be added to "bypass" this bug) (fixed by replacing clipboard with pastebin)

Program does not resize mapper window correctly (fixed)

Screenshot:

gdqt.jpg

Edited by Warlander
  • Like 6

looks clean and simple, well done.

Hope someone will test it out :P

I dont like to plan my stuff, i just make what comes in mind.

thats just me

Also, would there be front/side views in future?

Edited by silakka

I'm trying it out right now and I can't figure out how to get to the second storey...I just figured out that you have to resize it to add to the z-axis, but perhaps clicking the up arrow next to the floor number could add that automatically if conditions are met?

It would be nice to see the other wall types, like windows and arched walls. I don't know how you would represent them in your current scheme, but it's something to think on.

Adding walls with the tile highlighted can get rather confusing. Would there be any way to highlight the tile border instead?

Just some initial thoughts; I'm still messing around with it. It looks awesome! =)

Edit: Oh! And maybe add right-click deletes a placed object so you don't have to select the delete tool for every mistake.

Edit 2: And maybe an option for different graphics that are more like basic shapes and less detailed so it's easier to see / possible to print. It's a bit hard to see some walls on some floors for me.

Edited by Veryth
  • Like 1

would it be possible to add arches? i had a quick go testing this out, and it cant calculate the materials needed for the building (building is done, just teting to see how it turned out)

this was the building i planned before i made it:

ihoHDg8zVYv6.png

as you can see, it has 3 arched walls and then 3 walls inside of that heh.

nice work though!

Edited by Acaos
  • Like 1

Another thing would be adding drop-down sections for the different material types for walls and floors. That way, if someone is building a stone house only, they could access the stone floor and opening without additional floor types cluttering the menu. The same would go for walls. If there was a way to make clicking the image itself select the tool, or at least not deselect it, that would be nice as well.

Hm....i cant switch to the 2. and more floors....

Resize it at the bottom by adding 1 to the z value, then use the arrows at the top to switch between floors.

• Like 1

Will you be adding things like fences and parapets in the future also larger tile sizes as i am making a 2x3 house and it still looks quite small with size 64 tiles :)

Yet more suggestions:

- Undo button

- Icons to add to tiles to represent furniture

- Annotation option

Quick changes: now only up to 15 floors are allowed (previously - 25), program is adding new floors when you hit "/\" button.

Will you be adding things like fences and parapets in the future also larger tile sizes as i am making a 2x3 house and it still looks quite small with size 64 tiles :)

Fences and parapets will be added. The next size I can add without visual and performance problems is 128X128, I think this is little too much, but I can add it if this is really necessary for big screens. ;)

Word about arches - I even have idea how these might look like in top view, so I'll probably add them.

Veryth, as I can see you really like my program! :) I will surely use your suggestions in House calc. Things like undo button, annotation option, drop-down menus, better highlight and (my own idea inspired by your drop-down menus) quick access bar definitely will be useful. ;)

It is not figuring in the walls for me I might not be using it right but it is only doing floors and roofs on my plan.

It is not figuring in the walls for me I might not be using it right but it is only doing floors and roofs on my plan.

Do you switch building mode from "Floors/Roofs" to "Walls"? I will try to make this more visible.

I am using the 1200x700 applet when doing this and it is not working right it is not even getting the required carpentry skill right. ..

Edited by Kegan

You need to build both walls and floors. Roofs are not required, but if you want to get info about materials you can build them, too.

You need to build both walls and floors. Roofs are not required, but if you want to get info about materials you can build them, too.

It works for the carpentry skill and gives the materials for the floor but not for the stone walls. I tried calculating on both the floor and wall tabs they both give the same result.. Edited by Kegan

Fixed. Now everything is calculated correctly, thanks for reporting this bug. ;)

Fixed. Now everything is calculated correctly, thanks for reporting this bug. ;)

Now with that is fixed the inner walls are now counting toward the carpentry skills required to build the structure. Not a huge deal but though i would point it out to you.

Thanks again, I have fixed this, too. Game is ignoring any walls carpentry cost if these are surrounded by floors.

Question to all House Calculator users - do you want to have JNLP version instead of desktop edition? It would launch like Wurm, with autoupdate option, but cannot be launched offline.

Great app so Far thanks.

Bug found: It doesn't check that there is a floor below.

Update:

Added links to the wiki for you
/>http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/House_(general)#External_Tools
/>http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Build_house#External_Tools
/>http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Toolkits#Planning_Tools

Edited by axeblade346

Thanks again, I have fixed this, too. Game is ignoring any walls carpentry cost if these are surrounded by floors.

Question to all House Calculator users - do you want to have JNLP version instead of desktop edition? It would launch like Wurm, with autoupdate option, but cannot be launched offline.

I wouldn't mind having a JNLP version. I always have my computer connected to the 'net anyway. Autoupdates are nice. :)

JNLP version is online. I am waiting for more suggestions and bug reports, I will try to implement new features when I will have enough time. ;)

Is there anyway you can get the mouse wheel to zoom in on the house were you can see it better? Edit: I just found out that you can change it to 64 size tile but a zoom would be cool too though. :)

Edited by Kegan

Excellent tool, thanks you published it here +1 (One thing, I still missing there, are parapets.)

On the other hand, I'm not sure, if I wanted to know, that my little cathedral consumed so much material :rolleyes:

You need about 94 carpentry to build this house. To build this construction you need:

Small Nails: 275

Stone Bricks: 8520

Mortar: 9540

Stone Slabs: 92

Pottery Shingle: 560

Planks: 1375

Just joking, really great tool, helpful and easy to operate.

Edited by Zakerak

Right-click deleting "tool" is added.

Is there anyone good at graphics? I am very weak at editing textures, so I have serious problems with making graphics for parapets and fences. I would be really, really thankful for help, but the only thing I can offer is place in credits.