Sign in to follow this  
KageTenshi

Managing Chickens

Okay, so we had a an aged fat hen hiccup and die yesterday and I'd like ot know why. The wiki says they die at venerable, so I'm a bit confused. Our chickens are fed grass regularly. We had a problem with them becoming diseased. We had a 3x1 area with 3 chickens and so we thought it might be the amount of space and the fact that they're so social, clumping together, so I added 3 tiles and put up fences between so each would have a 2x1 space with food. Everthing seemed to be going fine. Occasionally, I'd find them together, but an hour or so later, they'd be apart again, so I didn't mess with separating them. Egg output seemed fine. Nothing overly excessive.

So, my question, how many tiles do chickens need and is it a bad thing to separate them, because up until yesterday we hadn't had any problems with deaths and the diseased thing had ceased.

I've never seen a chicken live past the aged stage. I haven't had many at all, but the few I have had over the years all died natural deaths at aged. Has anyone seen a Venerable chicken?

I actually own 2 venerable fat hens, had the oldest of them for many, many months. They are both cared for however......

I've only had 3 chickens die on me.. but all were aged.

So, no ideas on how many tiles is good and whether having separating walls is a good thing or bad thing?

• Like 1

As long as there isn't 3 on one tile, or the potential for there to be 3 on one tile, I don't think the set up matters

Separating them was a good idea to prevent this. You didn't do anything wrong.

In my experience, hens are just sensitive little creatures that hiccup and die randomly.

For Veldez who mentioned having 2 venerable hens, by any chance are those two hens set as 'cared for'?

For Veldez who mentioned having 2 venerable hens, by any chance are those two hens set as 'cared for'?

I actually own 2 venerable fat hens, had the oldest of them for many, many months. They are both cared for however......

Hey Veldez. Haven't seen you much in-game, but getting good use out of the chainmail. :)

I thought you only had to be caring for animals when they became venerable, not to actually get them there. :) We are caring-for the other 2 now. :)

I raised a few hens long ago but eventually got tired of feeding them just for the effect of having them pecking around in their pen. Kept the two of them in a 1x2 pen for ease of feeding. At times I would have to lead one off of the other that it was standing upon with this setup. Possibly could have put a gate between their tiles but would have made leading to the far pen more difficult so never did that. When they were fat I went down to dropping 3 corn for each daily on their tile. Was able to keep them alive and fat for a long time with this system.

I originally saw them on Golden Valley and fenced one in that died not long after due to my lack of knowledge about raising them. After that point I always had this aspiration to one day become a chicken farmer. After living on Independence for a while I came a cross these few and after raising them I found out that these tiny birds of a feather were more time consuming and care intensive than I had bargained for. Next project was pig farming!

=Ayes=