Sign in to follow this  
LurchibLes

A Few Newbie Questions!

Mornin' all :D

I've been playing the game for about a week now with a few friends and have come up with a list of questions that I can't seem to find on the Wiki, so here you go:

1. Tasting Water? All the water I taste is "Fresh"? I was wondering if my water source could be contaminated? If so how does this happen? Or is this one of those features that has yet to be worked out?
  2. Currency: I'm not going to lie, my friends and I are really in the middle of nowhere on our server and we make everything from scratch. As a premium player, I've been awarded 2 silver coins - what can you do with silver coins that you can't do with base materials? Or is it just a way to quickly buy equipment that is high quality and you wouldn't normally be able to craft with current skills?
  3. Combat: I haven't died yet, but the first death we experienced was last night :unsure: and we're literally surrounded by aged trolls most of the time. What's your advice on how high our weapon skills/qualities/fighting should be before feeling able to engage in combat with the local menace? (Also are there any plans to add fighting animations soon?)]
  4. Creature: Obviously we mostly have trolls but we've had spiders, rats and hell hounds chase us down to the local guard tower. Is there any pattern to when or what will spawn?
  5. Death: is there any way we can minimise the impact?
  6. Township: When is it worthwhile establishing a township as obviously there is a RL cost involved?

I think that's about it for now. Don't all rush to answer at once ;)

1. No real function... drink any water you find.

2. Got prem? Sell your referral (going for 6 ~7s) and get more silver. Use that to get a deed/tools with enchantments/horses/something you want.

3. Good QL armor (chain preferred) 60+ QL in armor. As for weapons... 2 handed sword/maul or 1 longsword/shield or 1 med. maul and shield. (Not a real fan of axes :P)/

4. No. But avoid hell hounds, trolls... try to kill rats, mountain lions, and with the aid of the guard towers kill spiders. I really hated using the dummy to grind Fighting skill... get it to 20 before engaging spiders solo. then it'll be a walk in the park :P. Just bring plenty of cotton.

5. No. Go path of knowledge and get level 9 on it or something along those lines IF u REALLY want to preserve skill from death otherwise lot more meditation paths to choose from. (you will always lose fighting skill....always)

6. After you play the game get used to it... like it... join a village for more exp concerning the game... still love Wurm? Deed.

More questions? The kind people of Wurm will answer you. otherwise use the Wurmpedia. <---Best guide to anything (may be a bit outdated but most of the stuff is pretty accurate). GLHF and hope u stick around :D

1. never understod why there is 'taste' .. just dont pay attention and DRINK for the love of god =D

2. 100irons = 1copper, 100coppers = 1silver. When you get premium for the first time you also get a Referal, which you can sell for 6-7s (Very useful money at the beginning)

3. Live next to guard tower, let the guard tower take care of the mobs while you help. Combat is very hard at the beginning and you should learn basic knowledge of the game and consantrate on combat later on.

4. They spawn randomly sometimes and some spawn from lairs (spawners) like... birchwood unicorn rustle = unicorn spawner, you can check in wiki which mobs are easiest to kill and which are the hardest. (trolls are one of hardest)

5. Live in a village so you can spawn in there, or make a house / big fence area so you can always get safe / live next to water, because some creatures dont swim.

6. Deed it or lose it, as many say. If you have a Deed/Township/Village, then your items will always stay safe from other players. Nobody else can touch them and nobody else can build in your Village/Perimeter area.

Im sure these answers will give you more questions, so feel free to ask :P

edit: damn you banzai, i was first xD... just had to get my coca cola.

Edited by silakka

Hey Mightyphallus (lol),

1. Don't know really

2. Silver coins in the ingame currency that everything runs on. You could do without, but its really usefull for trading (buying from merchants/players), buying a deed (township) and the upkeep of the deed. You can even use silver to buy more premium time.

3. Check this list, http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Animals . Note that the fighting skill needed for each animal is an approximation. It depends all on a combination of skill / gear.

4. No real apparent pattern, but if there is a mound nearby, for example: Birchwood Spider Mound. That would explain the extra spawns.

5. Yeah see 6 (Deed up)

6. Township, or Deed as it is known in Wurm, is extremely usefull. You can set permissions on a deed (standard 5x5 tiles, but enlargable). So no one can take your stuff. Also a deed makes sure your fences/buildings etc decay less fast. And last but not least, you can respawn on deed, thus saving a lot of trouble getting back from standard spawn point. The costs are 10 silver, which is 10 euros.

(edit) Meh i need to start typing faster :P. (edit)

Edited by Guiding

wurmians are 'too' helpful.

I was helped aaaa lot when I started and now im doing the same ^^

Enviroment makes the people.

I think everything have been answered here but I would like to add about the deed and battle part...

Deed:

When you feel you got nothing to lose it is ok to have no deed but atm what I can see is you are in middle of nowhere and if you happen to die, you will have long walk to go back.. so I would say either befriend your neighbor and ask to be villager so you can respawn on his/her deed or make your own deed. On other sides, deed also useful to prevent house decay, mine stealer, etc. When you are new I believe your house probably just 3-11 ql and it should decay so fast that it might crumble in 1-2 months or less.

Fighting:

The more people on a fight the better your winning chance is but you should determine who will be the tanker and that tanker should use the best armor you can get. Once me (20fs, 70ql studded leather set and medium maul) with a friend (10fs, 70ql longsword 30-40ql studded leather set) beat a lava fiend alone. Another time one of my friend (20fs, agressive fight, 70ql enchanted 2 handed axe, 70ql+ chainmail) with two others (10-20fs, not sure for equip) killed a troll without guards help. Of course this is risky, such as if my friend were getting the hit from the lava fiend, he surely die or if the troll decides to make a big blow..

I would advise that always prepare at least five healing covers with 15+ potency and 3kg of cottons ready for each single person. And bring horse if able when you explore out so you can ride out of danger even when your stamina is zero. Most deaths occur when you have no more stamina to either fight or run... not because the mob is hard...

Also another advice is while you say you are in middle of nowhere, I'm sure a few km away you can find some villages... get contact of the people there, make friends.. Knowing who living (or who you pass too on my case as I am a traveller and delivery girl) around you help tremendously...

Ow i forgot to tell you, you can hire guards for 1s per guard to be on your deed, to kill creatures for you. It does not matter wether you are online or not. Each spirit templar possesses about 70 fighting skill i believe. When they die, they will respawn. I don't know if they can take on Troll on their own, but other animals should not be a problem.

Ow i forgot to tell you, you can hire guards for 1s per guard to be on your deed, to kill creatures for you. It does not matter wether you are online or not. Each spirit templar possesses about 70 fighting skill i believe. When they die, they will respawn. I don't know if they can take on Troll on their own, but other animals should not be a problem.

As much as I have observe sometimes they do able to take care troll by theirs own, sometimes they are beaten and re-spawned . they are quiet restless about it ;)

You can buy a ress stone from the trader for 5 silver which has a high chance to keep all your items on you when you die

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the response - I've been reading on buying a deed then as it sounds like it might be worth doing in a few weeks or so. I think my friends and I do want to give it a go "on our own" but we'll see what happens. If it's too expensive to maintain it with RL money then I'm not really looking at that as a good solution and we might need to team up with someone. The "Dead Price and Upkeep Calculator" is pretty awesome for this.

I was also wondering if anyone could link me a map of Serenity that has landmarks and place names on? Just struggling to find my way around to the NPC traders.

My mind is a bit blown from all this new information. So thanks a lot for the friendly responses :) appreciated.

Taste is an excellent idea but it hasn't been implemented yet. Failure to taste a water source could lead to illness or a drawn out death because enemy poisoned it or because you didn't treat it first in say, an area with mycelium or a marsh. This would be quite an easy thing to add to Wurm so I hope it's going to be added soon.