Sign in to follow this  
Farmerbob

Rolf, Can You Please Have A Talk With The Forum Hamsters

There seems to be some confusion on the part of the forum hamsters. Is this what is happening to the forums and servers so regularly these days? The ISP is for some reason refusing legitimate connections?

2lw5csn.jpg

Note what port forum.wurmonline.com was not configured to connect to. It's not that the machine was offline, it wasn't configured to talk on the port. This seems... counterproductive.

The problem only lasted a few seconds, but I've never seen that message coming from a forum webpage before. I'm no network Guru by any means, but having a forum address that can't talk on standard http ports just smells broken. Even if it's just intermittent.

You may not be a network guru, but I don't think network gurus can smell broken forums. :P

You may not be a network guru, but I don't think network gurus can smell broken forums. :P

I have a very good nose for "magic smoke" being released from electronics. This is a bit beyond my experience to conclusively address (I work more with hardware), but it still "smells" broken.

FYI: broken forums smell like manky custard.

On occation Windows might actually manage to tell you that something is broken, duh as if that hadn't been obvious by the time it does. But I wouldn't bet a dime on it's detection skills to give any kind of reliable information as to why.

Windows:

"It seems that your computer cannot access the internet, would you like to seek online support to solve your problem?"

Edited by demondan

Yes, the forum is broken, I can't post a single word!!!

Also, please add a keybind to repeat last post.

The forums are on a hosted solution so you will probably find someone somewhere decided to do a little maintenance.

The forums are on a hosted solution so you will probably find someone somewhere decided to do a little maintenance.

Or tripped over the power cord/spilled <insert beverage of choice> on the box the VM is running on lol (and yes, I've actually seen this happen in "professional" hosting locations)

If anyone wants to make a wurm hamster meme here is the thread.

/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/75726-the-wurm-hamster-memes/

Mow that I think about it, you probably managed to hit the point right between the server pc booting and the http software loading, So it could only tell you "Yes I'm here, but I can't answer you."

Mow that I think about it, you probably managed to hit the point right between the server pc booting and the http software loading, So it could only tell you "Yes I'm here, but I can't answer you."

Fair enough, but when one hosts forums, and machines need maintenance, don't most providers use an alternate machine to temporarily host the site while the normal home machine of the site is down for maintenance/rebooting? The fact that I was able to catch the forums in a state where they were refusing http connections just seems weird. If the normal hosting machine is going down in a planned fashion, then why was the transition to another machine (and back) not handled more smoothly? If the normal hosting machine was NOT going down in a planned fashion, that's an entirely different scenario. In either of these cases, there is a problem?

Edited by Farmerbob

Right, temporary machine... didn't think of that. -,-

In that case I'm back to: Window has no clue ^,^

Or tripped over the power cord/spilled <insert beverage of choice> on the box the VM is running on lol (and yes, I've actually seen this happen in "professional" hosting locations)

I'll see your beverage and raise you a garbage truck.

A game I used to play when it was first in development was hosted out of a machine in the office of the company working on it (this was fairly early beta for it) and they were in a commercial/industrial development. Thier internet access for the building came in on an overhead line across the access road beside the building, and one day a garbage truck coming to get a dumpster from a building farther down ran through with the forks they use to grab the dumpsters not all the way back in the locked position yet, and took out thier internet line. (Along with thier phone and power, oops)

It just took them a bit time to find the right cable that was having a bit of problems...

e102f99132984f4d8088808.png

Taking other people's stuff and running with it :)

2u47hjb.jpg

Bob, you win the internet this week. Absolutely perfect on that one.

Edited by Hussars