Sign in to follow this  
Darkmalice

Smelting Furnace

Presently, you can only smelt 28 ore per forge at any one time. This is inadequate for many tasks.

I suggest a larger container (smelter, furnace, whatever) exclusively for smelting ore down to lump. It would hold perhaps triple the amount of ore in one go, and heat up at a slightly lower rate than a forge of equal quality thus saving actions and that annoying habit wurm has of constantly moving things between inventory windows.

The materials required for such a smelter could be maybe twice that of a normal forge.

• Like 11

Just give us something that can smelt 100 ore at a time, I don't see how it could break anything by making our lives easier.

• Like 1

Just give us something that can smelt 100 ore at a time, I don't see how it could break anything by making our lives easier.

Exactly!

+1

Completely agree, I was being conservative with my suggestion just to appease the hardliners.

Seems fair enough to have a 100 count smelter, since forges are so easy anyways people often make several side-by-side as it is. +1

+1

Just a thought, but maybe they could be about the same level of difficulty to imp as, say, a rock mine door or a little less? Since these will be more practical than using a lot of forges, why not make it just a bit harder to imp up?

Even if not made harder to imp, I still like the idea quite a bit.

An additional thought for a smelter would be anything that is in it too long would start to take increased decay then if it was in a forge, this is to make sure it doesn't take the place of forges in the long run. Honestly this was a fleet of the moment thought that I thought I'd throw out and see if it stuck or not lol

Really doesn't matter much to me ;D

Little addition from me: let the smelter furnace also smelt all tools into iron, like smelting pot.

• Like 4

- Remove the "only for ore" restriction. Why can it not simply be a bigger forge?

- Should be 3 times the construction materials compared to current forge.

- Requires 3 times the fuel compared to current forge.

- Holds 100 ores.

Why not increase the amount of ore that can be held as quality increases, keep the base 24 or 28 ( forget offhand ) at 20 quality and scale up as the quality increases.

• Like 1

-1, it's good the way it is, no need to hurry. 27 ores is 540kg, quite a large pile.

Edited by Hula_Girl

-1, it's good the way it is, no need to hurry. 27 ores is 540kg, quite a large pile.

There's always one... In case you didn't know, 27 iron ore is only 27 kg of iron lump, quite a small pile.

I'm not exactly sure how spending more time alt-tabbed away from Wurm waiting is useful, I'm pretty sure the less we need to afk away from Wurm, the better. And before you say it no we can't just go do something else then come back later, because we have to sit there watching for however many ores we fit in there to smelt so we can toss the next batch of ore in.

• Like 1

There's always one...

Sorry?

Just FYI, not everyone runs 7 clients (perhaps those that do that feel that Wurm is too slow-paced for them?). Some play only one character at any given time, role-playing their character, and enjoying the uniqe immersion of Wurm. I like standing at my forge, putting new small portion of ores because the previous one melted. When I want to be agitated and impatient, I go to plaay a little match of CTF in some shooter. Then I come back to Wurm to relax in this slow-pace world.

EDIT: If you want to smelt 100 ores at once, build 4 forges, it's as simple as that.

EDIT 2: I would maybe support this idea if it removed the smelting from forges (i.e. a forge would lower the ql like campfire).

Edited by Hula_Girl

Sorry?

Just FYI, not everyone runs 7 clients (perhaps those that do that feel that Wurm is too slow-paced for them?). Some play only one character at any given time, role-playing their character, and enjoying the uniqe immersion of Wurm. I like standing at my forge, putting new small portion of ores because the previous one melted. When I want to be agitated and impatient, I go to plaay a little match of CTF in some shooter. Then I come back to Wurm to relax in this slow-pace world.

EDIT: If you want to smelt 100 ores at once, build 4 forges, it's as simple as that.

EDIT 2: I would maybe support this idea if it removed the smelting from forges (i.e. a forge would lower the ql like campfire).

Increasing the amount of ore you can produce at one time does not effect your game play if you wish to stay immersed, relax, roleplay or anything else, it's your choice whether to use it or not, if you cannot resist temptation, others that do more shouldn't be held back because it might ruin your immersion.

Sorry?

Then don't use this idea, simple as that.

- Remove the "only for ore" restriction. Why can it not simply be a bigger forge?

- Should be 3 times the construction materials compared to current forge.

- Requires 3 times the fuel compared to current forge.

- Holds 100 ores.

Because this idea is for a smelting forge, which you would use to smelt ore, as that is its name :/

You would just have the regular forge, and the smelting forge, wouldn't do much harm lol

Edited by Shrimpiie

Increasing the amount of ore you can produce at one time does not effect your game play if you wish to stay immersed, relax, roleplay or anything else, it's your choice whether to use it or not, if you cannot resist temptation, others that do more shouldn't be held back because it might ruin your immersion.

With that logic we could issue a magic wand to everyone and set all skills to any level you wish...

You may hire someone to smelt that ore for you, if that task is too (dull/boring/complicated) for you, just as you buy planks that you don't want to cut yourself, rather than asking devs to increase/automate plank output...

This idea is wrong in two ways:

1. It increases the gap between new and veteran players (only vets will build those)

2. In it's essence is removing part of the game from the game. Wurm consists of chores, if you don't like some then you should defer them, not evade.

Edited by Hula_Girl

With that logic we could issue a magic wand to everyone and set all skills to any level you wish...

You may hire someone to smelt that ore for you, if that task is too (dull/boring/complicated) for you, just as you buy planks that you don't want to cut yourself, rather than asking devs to increase/automate plank output...

This idea is wrong in two ways:

1. It increases the gap between new and veteran players (only vets will build those)

2. In it's essence is removing part of the game from the game. Wurm consists of chores, if you don't like some then you should defer them, not evade.

If you can hire someone to smelt ore for you, cannot you not also hire someone to improve your forge?, Back when forge ql mattered you had to book Ray weeks in advance.

1. I don't even what? What prevents new players from making this, I don't get it?

2. There's a difference between chores like farming, grooming animals, etc where you're actually doing the chores and getting skill and rewards, versus staring at the screen waiting for ore to turn into a lump.