Sign in to follow this  
Malluvian

Carpentry Skill And Building - Check My Math

My carpentry skill is now 21, so I plan to build a 3x3 house: 9 floor tiles + 12 wall tiles = 21 skill. However, I'd like to leave the middle tile open as a courtyard. Is it correct that this subtracts one floor tile but adds four walls (as archways), so it requires 3 additional skill for a total of 24? I could just leave the middle tile unfinished in the normal 3x3 layout and add inner arched walls later when my Carpentry skill hits 30, but doesn't that impact any additional floors that are placed above it, or is it only the walls that need to be finished before adding a second floor?

I'm going to test this later when I'm back home but I figured someone here might have experience with this.

It would be four skill more, so 25. There's four arched walls so that would be 4 skill :)

The only difference is, you can't place grass in the center when you use inner walls, but you'd get the option to build full floors above that.

It would be four skill more, so 25. There's four arched walls so that would be 4 skill :)

Plus one less floor tile, hence the 3 skill. But you answered my basic question about how much the inner courtyard walls cost, thanks!

The only difference is, you can't place grass in the center when you use inner walls, but you'd get the option to build full floors above that.

Good point about grass, I was thinking of going with stone slab or marble but a tree might be cool. Still, it sounds like I can still build another floor once the outer walls are finished, and just leave a hole in the center instead of the upper floor and roof.