Sign in to follow this  
Sandyar

High Forestry Skill Have Negative Impact On Harvest

I have long had suspicion that something was wrong with forestry skill now it was olive season so I tried use another character Sandyar to harvest just for a change from Herix and I had much better result than ever. Herix have a very high skill so should expect he had much easier get high ql olives.

Herix skills:

67nkm1.jpg

Sandyar skills:

ocnba.jpg

I then repeated a test where they use the same sickle and each harvested only very old olive trees 10 times each. First was with a normal sickle and last a rare sickle. Order was Sandyar-normal, Herix-normal, Herix-rare, Sandyar-rare. Below you can see results.

I am aware its a very small test but the picture is same, low skill better ql and rare sickle doesnt give better output.

Herix normal sickle:

nrsye.jpg

Sandyar normal sickle:

2uikfbm.jpg

Herix rare sickle:

34rj6vk.jpg

Sandyar rare sickle:

16hkoes.jpg

Edited with correct picture

Edited by sandyar

Correct me if I am misunderstanding something, but the pictures you show above have a sample size of about 10 each.

50 olives, sure, but 10 different harvest results for each.

This is not a statistically significant sample size, and I'm afraid none of us can draw any conclusions from it. It might be better if you picked from 1000 trees (that's 31^2 roughly) with each, maybe gathering up the data over time.

Good luck, I will be very interested to see what your results are.

Also, for what it's worth, the low quality olives (q1) are great for leveling brewing, because they drop the success chance a bit.

Im aware the very small sample size and it was not an attempt to prove it, just that I didn’t have that many trees left and end of season but it shows the general picture of what I seen for a long time without documentation.

I did not know I had to supply proofs in a bug report before looked into. I find it strange and indication something wrong that double skill get 30-50% ql1 and lower when half the skill get none at all even the sample size is 20 only.

While I do agree that forestry seems to provide no reasonable ql at all, 10 samples is nothing at all. I just spent today harvesting 250 blue grapes on my priest who got 50 forestry, using a 30ql sickle. Around 90(!) of the 250 grapes came out at 1ql and with some damage, the average ql for the whole bunch ending up somewhere just below 20ql

Made a search in my logged data to examine prune failure rate versus skill level:

http://ubuntuone.com/2if8QDrJaCqkbXZoifUTj8

I did because I noticed the fail rate increased a lot as my skill increased. What is not to see is that sickle ql has increased during all that time probably from ~ql50 to now ql80+.

• Like 1

I do not keep logs because logs cause lag, but I was keeping a long hedge pruned to grind the skills on something with a good visual indication for pruning, but finally gave up and let it go as it seemed to increasingly fail rather than increasingly succeed.

Your plot certainly shows the trend of fail vs. skill is going the wrong way, and indeed could be as simple as programmers have the logic variable for pruned backwards.

Edited by yarnevk

I've noticed a similar issue with botanizing. As a noob I was able to find lots of woad and of high ql, but now that I am at 49.5 botanizing, I hardly ever find woad, and it's seldom over 50 ql, mostly 18 ql junk. I've always thought it was a 'dumb luck' factor added by Rolf so noobs could get some good stuff, which is ok, but I don't like that actually having skill costs you so much in ql of items.

I think that foraging/botanizing is an aging algorithm of the more you work the same grass the worse it gets. Deeds should be able to control who can work their grass. Go botanize in steppe or kelp where nobody ever thinks to go and you are more productive.

The pruning chart is sufficient statistical evidence of a logic inversion, just hope they fix it right without inverting other logic that takes years of data to detect the pattern is off.

Edited by yarnevk