Sign in to follow this  
Mystry

Enchant Scrolls

Allow priests to enchant papyrus sheets with any enchant.

Anyone can use these sheets or scrolls to consume them and transfer the enchantment on the sheet to an item of their choice.

Quality of the enchant is limited by the quality of the scroll.

I stole this shamelessly from WoW enchant scrolls.

• Like 1

Little op then you can keep casting on different scrolls to get 80+ enchants instead wasting favor trying improve them.

+1

1. Each cast attempt on scroll should work just like you where enchanting a item.

2. We should add additional effort to making the blank scroll so it is comparable to making a 70 ql item.

3. I believe multiple enchants on an items make further enchanting of that item more difficult. If this is so, then multiple enchant scrolls shouldn't work on one item. You would instead enchant a single scroll with multiple things and it could be used on an not enchanted item.

4. Maybe add a dispel effect by default (assuming #3 is true) to the scroll so players can up use a scroll to change a tool more easily.

+1

As a side effect, this will adress one of the problems you face wen need to get some of the enchanted items that are not mailable like shovels or swords.

It would enable priests to sell enchants without personal contact to the item in question.

I see no downside to it.

Joedobo as for #3: afaik further enchanting is not any more difficult per se. But the more often you enchant the item, the more chances you have to shatter it and loose all the previous enchanting.

So how about we do this with a little variation: the priests create one scroll for one effect and the followers can use them in conjunction. However the followers can fail at properly reading the scroll, which either results in nothing happening, the effect being weaker, the item getting damaged/shattering.

Btw I only used used the term "follower" as a grammatic reference here, but it could be limited that way too. The success rate could be dependant on Religion or Prayer.

Another variation: Priests in wurm are already affiliated more with gems, so casting transfer enchants on those instead might fit better into the setting.

Or what I like best personally: do all of it:

Have priests write favour infused scrolls that allow followers of the same god to cast spells (including enchants, but maybe even all of them) with varying success.

And use gems to store an enchantment set to transfer to other items.

Could you not just cast on scrolls to get a 90+ LT, 90+ Coc, 90+ NB, 90+ MS, then apply the casts to a weapon you choose pretty much making what is such a rare thing to achieve into the norm?

nah, making them scrolls would simply be just as difficult as making the enchant directly.

If i remember correctly doesn't having more than one enchant making casting on it harder also?

It would help if you guys actually read the thread before posting...

This is actually an impressive idea. It would give Papyrusmaking an impressive use yet could very likely keep the entire process difficult enough to not be overpowered.

I do foresee a bit of an issue, though. When enchanting an item, it takes into account your channeling, religion, soul depth and soul. It would make sense for there to be a failure rate for casting on scrolls, but a ruined, otherwise unenchanted scroll would be far less of a loss than a tool, or at least if it were already enchanted. Obviously, you could use scrolls to safely get enchants you want before putting them onto a tool... Unless there were still a chance the tool could break. This is wherein the issue lies. The factor of success is currently based on the two skills and two attributes, but how could this be handled when applying an enchant onto an item FROM a scroll? What would seem most sensical is if it took the original enchanters values (at that time), however that seems impractical as it could intensely pollute the database, and also item descriptions if it were to list them all on examine. If it were to take any of the scroll-user's values, in any way, then it would make sense to try to find a person with the best-possible stats to apply the enchant from the scroll to maximize success chances, effectively defeating the purpose of the entire exercise.

there could be a skill applying scrolled enchants to tools, so priests could sell low-level enchants cheaper as a way for people to skill up their enchantment-applying skill before using the high-powered ones. then low-level priests become more valuable or it offers an alternative way of grinding their skills up.

Makes papyrus useful and a very fun feature. Obviously the scrolls should be one use only.

- Priests need to have the means for crafting scolls and the difficulty in making these items should be comparable to making a 70 ql item. The scrolls should be difficult to make to balance out how you normally need a decent ql item to enchant on. This means concerning items creation time it would be the same for crafting on scrolls or items. perhaps add different categories of scrolls to match up how skilled weapon smiths are far less numerous then blacksmiths. A weapon enchant scroll would be harder to make then a tool scroll.

-Scroll success when used by customer should be 100% success and effect added at 100% enchant intensity. I don't think its a good idea to add in more randomization and chances for failure. Also it would disadvantage using scrolls. Scrolls have the potential to remove the need for a craft alt (assuming the priest can make them) and we shouldn't disadvantage that.

- I don't think gems are common enough and don't think they should be used in scroll creation. Using these would limit how many scrolls could be created.

- Mix and match single enchant scrolls would make enchanting an item easier. Maybe users could combine scrolls with a chance that one of the scrolls could blow up. Perhaps such a task needs to be done at some special shrine ( A shrine constructed using lots gems). combine success should be more based on the shrine ql and enchant scrolls ql then on skills of the user.

nah, making them scrolls would simply be just as difficult as making the enchant directly.

It's actually quite a lot easier, either you have never multi enchanted anything and had to dispel without losing other enchants, or are not familiar with having hours and hours of time invested enchanting one weapon.

• Like 1

I love it how you can complain about how difficult one feature is compared to another that hasn't even been commented on by a dev, let alone implemented or tested.

Edited by Keldun

Some items are easier to cast on than others (skilling items spring to anyone's mind?) If I make a scroll with 99 coc, I can then put that on any skiller I want. Now it might not be so difficult casting on a high quality scroll but it damn sure is difficult getting that cast on a skiller. As for stacking spells, I'm not sure that more makes it more difficult as much as getting all 90 casts on an item just doesn't happen as much. You, also, have to make sure you have all the priests casting in the correct order so that you have the ability to dispel to get the cast you want in each slot. Another thing that scrolls will tend to. As you are just applying them willy nilly based on a scroll you picked up.

I can see benefits and downsides both to this. Not sure how good this would be for priests. Can see it being a big bonus to folks buying enchants though.

Could you not just cast on scrolls to get a 90+ LT, 90+ Coc, 90+ NB, 90+ MS, then apply the casts to a weapon you choose pretty much making what is such a rare thing to achieve into the norm?

I believe this is referring to how the probability of getting such casts on a single item is very low if your mass casting on groups of items. Or if your trying to make it by improve/dispel method it will be very time consuming. With scrolls we could cast on a batch of say 100 and then apply the best scrolls to a single item.

possible solutions:

1. Penalties and high risk applied when try to mix and match scrolls on a single item. Item or scroll could blow up really easy. Make sure here the priest can make a a single scroll with multiple effects which works 100% of the time. This multi-scroll would be created exactly as if it was a tool or weapon.

2. A tier type system where you need a tier 2 scroll to add a second effect. This scroll would be much harder to make then a tier one. a tier 3 would be even harder to make then the tier 2. This patter would continue forward. I like this better then #1 because it puts the burden on the priest not the customer using a scroll.

Don't want to see these things guaranteeing an enchant, as I can't do that myself as a priest. If they have just as much chance of success as my casting a successful enchant then ok, otherwise no. And of course they would have to be 1 use only.

Don't want to see these things guaranteeing an enchant, as I can't do that myself as a priest.

Scroll creation is just like casting on a tool or weapon. Its creation is where all the risk your talking about would occur. Adding chances for failure when the customer uses the scroll just add more risk and randomness to the equation. Now if priest could make scroll with 100% success and application beared the risk it would be the same. But I don't think customers should bear the risk with a scroll concept.