Sign in to follow this  
Garis

Pcgamer.com Game Review: 68/100

Still scored better than WarZ, a game with $4million in startup funding to make a game with a fraction of the features this one has.

Sorry, I just love to make fun of that game every chance I get.

That being said, I think the review was fair. The fact the game is slow as nails is what caused me to take my first small break from it for a few weeks a year or so ago. That being said, I really enjoy the game we play and the frequent updates which it receives. I do look forward to an improved interface though. Keybinds make most of the game's actions pretty simple, but creating items really needs a "repeat action" bind that works or something. I'm so sick of rightclick -> create -> misc -> stone brick 2,000 times a day.

I was in some ways disappointed by this review but in other ways think it's right. What frustrates me is that I don't feel like the guy has truly got the point of the game - it's indie, it still needs work and he didn't try out all that much. At one point he says he was grinding digging, and of course he's going to be lonely if he doesn't make the effort to join a village etc -_- however, I have to applaud the reviewer for lines like "Wurm Online is a fascinating MMO, even if it’s not going to get a high score in a couple of pages. Don’t see that as damnation, because this is definitely one of those games where the red number isn’t everything." Even though he hasn't engaged with the game he recognises that other people do, and I have to respect the reviewer for that. It's very easy for reviewers to switch off when they don't like something whereas here the guy still recognises that this is an appreciable game.

The review does have some very truthful points that can be learnt from, such as the need for more info on the tutorial. We're definitely going to take on-board a lot of the things it says whilst other things like an improved crafting UI are planned and their importance is highlighted in the review.

This guy sounds like he played it before and likes easy mode games more or less.

Well this was supposed to be a rather in-depth look at why 68 is actually a bad score but since my browser crashed and lost everything suffice to say, over 60+% (more like 64~%) of PC Gamer reviews on Metacritic got scores of 69 or higher. In other worlds Wurm is pretty close to the bottom third of games according to what this score says in relation to other PC Gamer reviews.

The thing that wurm is missing in terms of the basic underpinnings of any mmo is social tools. The things that make it easier for people who at first are international strangers more quickly and more successfully join groups/ local communities and thus be far more likely to stay. This is especially difficult to pull off in a sandbox due to its nature. Eve has struggled with this with alot of imperfect improvement. Social links also (for free in dev costs) help people learn and overcome the learning and skill cliff. This does not mean that anyone cant hermit or play solo as well.

• Like 1

If this game is anti-social then I made Minecraft...

Im not saying wurm is anti social it is in fact very social, among the established population. I was speaking about new players and the speed and depth of social linkage they are on average able to achieve in the high quit rate times on a players timeline.

I like what Joanavon's said so far.

Wurm doesn't put forth any effort to match up players and give them some interductary focused goal. This might included asking players to choose some starting profession (smith, carpenter), explain they can do more later, look for other players choosing different profession, match them up and finally give the group some basic task. The permanent nature of Wurm makes that last part difficult.

Ingame recruiting should be common and easier to use then the forums. Would it be possible to set up an ingame form/database-like service for this purpose? A service like this would help everyone find others who they could buddy up with and benefit from teamwork.

Example: name, 3 most liked skills, approximate play time, language, 100 words or less -- about me.

The number of posters on the forum compared to in game player counts should point out that many players simply avoid forums.

I don't think the high threat of death for traveling newbs is helping the game. They will have plenty of opportunities to get killed by spiders, lets help them get places safer at first. I'd like to build roads that have spiritual barriers which repel aggro.

Well I personally agree with several parts of the review , in fact it could have been a lot worse.

While wurm has a lot of interesting stuff it also has a lot of problems that needs to be solved.

This review points out the weak spots , its up to Rolf and the dev team to fix them.

forums are not an a very effective social tool for many reasons in terms of finding and matching up with people who want/need/have/dream the same things you do.

also,

trolls.

So basically the reviewer was expecting a Kinect Minecraft for people who have short attention spans or something?

Also hahahah wow, using "lots of clicking" for a reason as to why a video game is bad is really dumb considering every freaking game (well, nearly all of them) requires you to......

wait for it

wait for iiiitt

press and holding buttons/keys a lot

And goodness, what? Loneliest 10 hours he's ever spent on a game? He really must have been doing something wrong, if you're only just starting out with this game and have no idea what to do then you should really be spending it with a couple more people :V The community part of this game is pretty damn important if you ask me

Also hahahah wow, using "lots of clicking" for a reason as to why a video game is bad is really dumb considering every freaking game (well, nearly all of them) requires you to......

wait for it

wait for iiiitt

press and holding buttons/keys a lot

Na it aint.

It's one of the most annoying parts of wurm for me.

TOO MUCH CLICKING.

Wanna drag 100 stone shards of 80kg from one container to another?

Yea, lets see... a good game would be something like this...

1) open containers

2) pull the items from one to the other

wurm style:

1) open containers and inventory

2) pull a few shards at a time from one container to your inventory

3) then pull the shards from your inventory into the other container

4) repeat step 2 and 3 a ton of times

make 100 bricks?

normal game: open up a crafting window, select 100 and start crafting

wurm: go through the terrible menus over and over and over again

+wait for that stupid bar for max stamina efficiency...

You would think after all this time that wurms GUI would be amazing for the stuff done in the game considering it has had so much time to refine it.

but no, its terrible.

For instance... we can bind a key to improve an item...

How about make that key naturally attempt to repair an item prior to improving it and thus saving us from using additional keybinds and check for damage over and over?

or even better, let the game allow you to assign which of the improvement tools you want to use when the improvement type is available and thus not needing to activate each individual tool over and over again...

wanna go up to 90 ql on 40 items? keep smashing that improvement button.

no annoying extra clicking elements and instead it simply does what you actually want to do... >_>

• Like 1

Wurm is a literal health hazard with graphics from the 90s and client code that would have been laughed out of CompSci 101. This was a very generous review.

Had this review been from anywhere else it would have been much much worse and less fair. The PC Gamer UK staff (who i assumed reviewed this) were active players on the old GV and Freedom servers, they even put Wurm in their top 100 games of all time list, so they have history with the game long before this review.

I found this game because of them talking about it back in 2010 in the magazine as did a few others i know in the game.

Wurm, for me, isn't about "game play". It's about taking a tableau and creating my own vision from it. Regardless of what kinds of clicks or delays there are, I'm always working toward making my deed into something I like.

PC Gamer isn't about that. Their audience leans toward twitch gamers and twitch gamers are never going to like sandbox or any perceived artificial impediment like repetitive menu selections.