Sign in to follow this  
Sizar

Dump Of Maps Should Be Made Periodically

as the topic says, i think it should be made for example once for a 3 moths or something like that, it will be very useful to keep better precision of localization villages and roads, and will helpful for players to find for example "untouched" area in map to place their village :)

p.s. sorry if my english is hard to understand :P

Already a thread about this, should check before ya make a new thread XD

And somehow I can't seem to find it...

Help anyone?

Already a thread about this, should check before ya make a new thread XD

And somehow I can't seem to find it...

Help anyone?

i can't find to, so i place new topic :)

(i'm not a person who like to start new topics, if the same already exist) :)

You couldn't find it because it wasn't in suggestions, it was in town square:

/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/75214-new-map-dump/

As for me, I don't really have any problem with this but nor do I think it's very important. Therefore I default to +1

Yeah, some of the maps don't have an original state render. But if they can't be kept original, there needs to be regular updates, keeping to use a map of a random state during history is weird.

It would be nice to see how things have changed. The old map dumps are exactly that. Old. Out dated. Inaccurate.

I would like this extended to PvP servers as well, to make things more interesting.

This would be good but we should have to earn it.

Each starter town should have a "map makers" building, The server should have to supply it a set amount of items, paper, reed pens etc for example or carts, horses and boats for the NPC map makers to travel in :) .

if we complete what is needed by the end of the month / 2 months we earn an updated map, if we dont we fail and have to wait until next time.

Could be a great way to get the server to work together for a common goal and could be a lot of fun as deadline day gets closer.

just a thought.

Agreed it would be nice to have a somewhat up to date picture. Also if cataloged it would be cool to see how the servers transform over time. It would also help dispell (or in some cases confirm) the claim of there not being any useable land on X server.

You couldn't find it because it wasn't in suggestions, it was in town square:

http://forum.wurmonl...4-new-map-dump/

As for me, I don't really have any problem with this but nor do I think it's very important. Therefore I default to +1

See, I knew it was around there, but even at that I couldn't find it XD

+1. Although, I like it better if we could link the quality of this map to the map making efforts of the players in game. Make sure to remove any need to have real life art skills or external programs to do cartography. An example, an in game paint program would be a violation. This is because most players don't have the skills to use that tool effectively (their have been multiple attempts for pixel perfect maps made by players that have failed because it was too hard for the average gamer to contribute).

An ingame cartography skill that works like real cartography instead of a" gps sattelite camera supported radar" would be a really great thing:

A character can take a piece of paper and a pen, then draw a map of his local. quality of that map depends on the skill of the character.

Then character can move a bit and draw a new map, or add his new local to the old map.

Later they can take an existing map, go to the same local and update that part.

Maps can also be coppied or pieces from one map transfered to another map. the quality of that merge would depend on the quality of the source maps.

That way you have varying ingame maps flaoting around whose completeness, accuracy and actualityy depends on the effort of the cartographers, but not on any real drawing skills.

Sound like a rather complex system to implement though (;

Edited by Keldun

An ingame cartography skill that works like real cartography instead of a" gps sattelite camera supported radar" would be a really great thing:

A character can take a piece of paper and a pen, then draw a map of his local. quality of that map depends on the skill of the character.

Then character can move a bit and draw a new map, or add his new local to the old map.

Later they can take an existing map, go to the same local and update that part.

Maps can also be coppied or pieces from one map transfered to another map. the quality of that merge would depend on the quality of the source maps.

That way you have varying ingame maps flaoting around whose completeness, accuracy and actualityy depends on the effort of the cartographers, but not on any real drawing skills.

Sound like a rather complex system to implement though (;

While this has been suggested god knows how many times, I'm more interested in things that can be done right now, Rolf probably got the idea of map dumps from the ones floating around the player base for years, a 6 month to one year progress report would be ok I guess for non pvp servers, could put a big SPOILER alert on the thread for the purists, I'm not for or against it but no need to deny those that wish it as I imagine current high res satellite maps are available now if you know who to contact.

I guess you got me kinda wrong there. I was derailing the thread a bit in response to joedobo.

This originally was about the map dumps for the web, those are absolutely great and should be updated regularly, every couple month at least.

That was more of an atempt to create an ingame map system that fits Wurm a little better than the classical minimap radar with enemy focus blibs.

One addition to that: a character could roughly determine their position on such a self drawn map.

I guess you got me kinda wrong there. I was derailing the thread a bit in response to joedobo.

No offense, but what you are talking about is a totally different suggestion, with different mechanics, implications, objections and effort involved. There's a dozen and one threads for that, but this shouldn't become one of them :)