Sign in to follow this  
Hula_Girl

Liquid Dosing

Please allow shift-dragging a liquid to specify the amount (e.g. 0.10 kg). Maybe require spoon to be activated for this.

• Like 1

Why not do this with a container that has other items in it, creating a measuring cup, essentially?

Nothing wrong with the idea, but you can already do it with veggies and various containers.

Edited by Farmerbob

I have to jump through hoops, so why shouldnt it continue being like this.

+1 Hula_Girl

Why not do this with a container that has other items in it, creating a measuring cup, essentially?

Because it's backwards to measure out the amount of a liquid in a container by subtracting the volume of the items from the total volume of liquid that the container could hold. It's like telling someone not to buy a measuring cup because they could use a gallon jug and fill it with rocks of equal size and shape (after having calculated their displacement in water) in order to determine the amount of liquid they have added to the jug and can now pour into another container.

+1

• Like 1

It's like telling someone not to buy a measuring cup because they could use a gallon jug and fill it with rocks of equal size and shape (after having calculated their displacement in water) in order to determine the amount of liquid they have added to the jug and can now pour into another container.

It's no less backwards to pour into a dynamically allocated measuring container where upon each use you need to explicitly specify the size of the container. Especially considering the current abysmal state of text entry (pop up windows don't automatically grab cursor focus, requiring explicit and repeated mouse homing to tiny text fields).

-1, though I like the sentiment. Counting out potatoes in jars is ... painfully wogical.

I don't want to have to constantly type in "0.5" over and over again. I'd rather see an across-the-board standardization of material requirements for liquids to units of 0.25 and the addition of a 0.5kg pottery container between a flask and jar (cup? mug? stein?) That or they need to give us containers sized appropriately for each liquid recipe type. So if something calls for 0.1kg of liquid, then give us a pottery tumbler that holds that much.

It's no less backwards to pour into a dynamically allocated measuring container where upon each use you need to explicitly specify the size of the container.

But that's just how measuring cups work right? Or am I wrong?

I don't want to have to constantly type in "0.5" over and over again. I'd rather see an across-the-board standardization of material requirements for liquids to units of 0.25 and the addition of a 0.5kg pottery container between a flask and jar (cup? mug? stein?) That or they need to give us containers sized appropriately for each liquid recipe type. So if something calls for 0.1kg of liquid, then give us a pottery tumbler that holds that much.

As for this suggestion I could get behind more types of pottery containers in order to more accurately measure liquids.

Edited by Laiwyn

I don't want to have to constantly type in "0.5" over and over again.

No, I meant to leave current mechanic: drag'n'drop fills up entire container. But SHIFT+drag'n'drop to specify exact quantity.

Currently the least amount you can get is 0.25 (flask), and you need to use tricks to get less (like mentioned pre-filling the container).

This creates a problem when you want to get small quantity of a mixture. If you mix two liquid in proportion 1:4, then the least you can get is 1.25.

in real life it's not hard to fill half of a barrel or jar - but to be more precise one needs to use measures. So maybe this could be implented so, that a player may pour full or half of the liquid using "bare hands", or activate the tool (a spoon or some new item) to specify the quantity (with precision depending on item's QL?).

+1

This would be great for dyecraft. I'm sure I'd find other uses once implemented too.

A variant on that idea:

What if we could actually use activated containers as actual "measuring" containers? Shift-dragging while having an (empty) container activated would result in an amount of liquid transferred equal to that of the active container?

That way we could use any container as a "measuring cup". On top of that, we could have a specific set of pottery/iron measuring cups for certain smaller amounts.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson