Sign in to follow this  
Phyko

Heaps Of Ideas And Suggestions

Hello everyone,

First at all i want to give my respects to the developers of Wurm :). Being a programmer myself i know Java is a pain in the *** in performance, but from what i can see u took good effort to keep a good balance between good graphics, performance, gameplay mechanics and AI. I know that developing a big project like this can make it hard to add new things and some may ,even if the idea is good, be too hard to implement since u would have to change a hell lot of code for a minimal gameplay plus. Since i dont know how u implemented everything i cant say what is possible to implement easily and what might need a huge ammount of effort ,so I will just list (and edit if i find more) everything I would love to have in the game. For that I will list them in Categories so its easier to read (or scrolled over :) ).

Animals:

Chickens:

Chickens in RL eat seeds and worms, so it would be cool if chickens would eat for them self if they are on a tile wich has some plants grown on it wich give seeds. These plants would be destroyed after a couple of days leaving a dirt tile ,since the chickens ate all plants. Another cool thing would be that spilling water on a dirt tile would make it a moister dirt tile wich will affect the chickens to be able to eat worms. The Tile may just stay moist for one wurmday. The same effect may would be there if it rains. This way chicken might be a good food suply and can be farmed more efficient - for reducing big laggs cause of massive chicken farms , chicken might die very fast ( fast aging curve)

Worms:

As mentioned before I would like chickens to be able to eat worms from moist grounds. But worms could have an other use as well ... if u dig on a moist dirt tile u have a chance (maybe 10%) of getting a worm wich ,if attached to a fishing rod could give it a greater chance on fishing bigger fish. Worms would decay very fast unless u put them in a barrel with dirt and some water in it.

Birds:

To improve the use of bows it would be cool if u could try to shoot birds , some birds (bigger ones) will however attack u and may even be as strong as a troll - but will give a significant bigger amount of meat.

Lowlifes:

For easier gain in fighting skill for newbees and for more atmosphere it would be cool to have lowlifes wich will give a tiny ammount of skill gain (0.00001 on skill lvl 20?!) if killed. such lowlifes could be easily killed with one blow and do close to non dmg. lowlifes could be small mice (bricksize and easy to oversee) and might be more likly to spawn at farms and mines

Building:

Cavehouses:

I know it has been widly asked and I like the idea as well of being able to build a house or at least some walls in mines - though i saw that the mine system is completly diffrent to the outer world system since u dont have tile borders there so this might be one of the things wich are too much to change.

Multi-Floor-Housing-Bugs:

I gladly see the Multi-Floor-Housing update working just fine but some things may have to be changed - for example should a camin of an oven or forge go until the roof, or if no roof exists to the uppest floor. Food Storage bins have feet going through the tile and showing in the lower floor , the feet may have to be shortend or ajusted weather they are in a house or not (small ones for a house , long ones outside). Other thing with multistorage housing what would be cool if u could build a shiphouse so: have the middle 3 tiles lower and a building arround it in an u shape with a roof going all over the thing.

Decoration:

Though many pvp-players may curse me now , I like everything to look very nice and good, this way i would love to have some possibilities to decorate a room a bit more :). For that reason i made a list of some decorational items wich would be cool:

• Sword and shield wall pampet
  • Paintings (maybe of player char in the moment of creation or uploaded ones)
  • Mirrows
  • Wardrobe (maybe more than one model)
  • Bookshelfs (wall-high and halfwall high as a containers for books and scrolls wich are player written and have to be crafted with paper and leather - uses bookmaking-skill wich is a subskill of leatherwork, scrolls may even have a onetime magical effect?!)
  • Wooden benches
  • old looking couches?!
  • Plantpots - u could plant some flowers and bushes in them (diffrent sizes)
  • !!! Beer-Barrel (of cause filled with beer - im german and i need beer ^^) !!! <- very important!
  • ... (the more the better ^^)

Walls:

I love the arched walls but i can barly use them in one of the upper floor since i risk falling so it would be cool to have the ability to build a fence in a arched wall or have a fenced arched wall (what ever is easier to implement ^^). And somehow normal doors will make a roof even if they are covered in a walkthrou - this should be removed.

Bridges:

For making some areas pasable for carts and boats it would be cool to be able to build bridges. The size may vary on the height and the carpentry/masory skill. they could be between 2 buildings, created in the upperfloor, wich will bring me to the next point:

Stairs:

I know its planed but want to post it anyway :) the ladders are ok but stairs would look far better :) , stairs should be 2 versions of them :

• straight stairs wich will be used just like terrain (so u can go on them without clicking them) and will cover 2 tiles (not walkthrough)
  • spindle stairs wich will just take one tile but will need u to click on them (similar to ladders but better look)

Statues:

Statues should be able to be mirrowed - so have 2 dogs look the same direction for instance

Boatdocks:

I dont like the drop-dirt-boat-docks so much and would rather have wooden and stone ones build with pilars. they may be planed just like a house (or exactly the same giving the opotunity to build a house on top) and may need more materials if build in deeper areas and may even need u to be on a boat

Housepillars:

Similar to boatdocks it would be nice to be able to build houses on pillars having small stairs going on top of them , pilars may be build on uneven grounds making it possible to build a house on a cliff wich will hang over a bit. maybe the ql of the pillars and the material used manage how much u can build on top so u might not be able to build a stone house on wooden pillars and maybe the maximum height is lowerd to a certain amount u can go up in the house u build on top.

Diagonal building:

I know this might be too much to ask since its very diffrent to the way wurm is build now :) but it would be cool to build walls diagonal as well making it posible to build a "round" tower or a circle of houses.

Containers:

I like to sort my ... everything ... so i need containers :) even though we already have a lot of containers it would be cool to have more models and more containers wich will stop decay (like bsb)

Skills and Mechanics:

Fishing Baits:

Like mentioned before Fishing Baits would be cool to increase successchance and fishweight , other than worms ,wich i introduced before it would be possible to use small fish or even some vegetables (who likes that stinky vitamin stuff anyway? XD ).

Bookwriting:

Also mentioned before I would love to have books ingame and make them aswell, this will increase RP-Mechanics of the hole game. Other than that it might be able to implement scrolls wich may have a magical effect like replenishing stamina/food/water or do some attackspells on enemies (one time use?) it might be able to do a other subskill called cartographics wich makes it able to draw maps ingame and use them . A higher skill in it makes the map more accurate and the ql of the map decided what size it will be.

Cartographics:

Look one above :)

Scrollmaking:

Look two above :P

Door-/Pen-/Roomrenting:

As for now making an Inn has just a low use since people might use ur oven but not pai for sleeping, if u could rent a room to someone this would change , the door would be unlocked for that person for eg 1 day afterwards he will be kicked out of the room. If u examin the door u will see what tools are in them eg. oven and forge or floorloom or whatever and what ql and dmg it has - this will give the costumer the oportunity to decide weather he wants to rent the room or not knowing what is in the room. same thing would be needed for pens since u might want to lock ur horse away or the horses u just found and lead with a rope without risk of loosing them when u come back. This will make an Inn far more intresting for people wandering arround.

Merchants:

Merchants should be able to buy certain (Player managed) Items for a certain price or just in exchange for items the player is selling. and Merchants should be able to be placed anywhere so u could have a merchant placed in ur inn selling food and drinks and asking for pelts and meat (for instance)

Trader:

It would be nice to be able to toggle weather people from another deed can sell items to a trader or just buy items from him (if the trader is on deed) this will make a trader a nice little income opportunity and might make them even more popular (so more people will buy traders => more coins are bought => more profits for u ;) )

Big Items to cart:

Since it is a pain in the ... back ... to push a statue or a camin or similar to a further distance it would be nice to be able to load big objects directly in ur cart or boat - depending on the size u might be able to put 1 statue in a small cart or 3 in a big cart , or a small or even big cart in a ship so u dont have to build a new cart everytime if u want to trade goods. or u could put a rowing boat in a cart and a sailing boat in a big cart making it possible for people living landinvards to build their boat at home and drag it to water. In combination with that it would be nice to be able to drop all items in the cart directly to ground or unload directly into a container and to load a pile directly in the cart.

Digging:

I would like dirt to pile on ground while digging so digging can be done more efficiently

Pets:

Since i like pets i would like to have more than one - might depend on taming skill how many u can have or maybe if u would be able to tame a pet fully loyal with ur taming skill now , it would be halfed with a second pet and third with a third one and so on , so u might be able to tame 4 dogs fully loyal but just 1 dragon (for instance)

Greater changes:

Since the Freedom-cluster is pretty well filled how about having an other server added? I would have 3 Typs of servers in mind:

• Sandbox-Island: people build strange houses to try out what is possible why not making an little island wich has no deeds but plenty of room (flatish island) to build and test what ever structures u might want to build one day or just to train a bit :) the island could be pve with a resettimer of one month so there will allways be room to build more next time :)
  • Epic-Style-Server: Why not add another server with the same laws like epic servers but the same skillsystem like freedom-cluster ? this way people could decide later wether or not they want to go real brutal pvp with no skillloss by using an epic portal (dont want to start all over again)
  • normal Freedom-Server: an other freedom server style for more room for more people :) I know prisine has just been released but we cant go there and have new lands to go :) I want to be one of the first to settle on some island as well :) and as mentioned before I dont like starting all wover again ^^

Thats all changes i would love to see (and play ^^) for now (At least the ones i know now ^^). i will ofcause update this list if i know more or if something has been implemented :) I know it is a lot on this list , and nothing wich can be done overnight or maybe some things will never be able to be implemented cause of too much work for little effect or some might be tried out but will be bad afterall since u will never know how game-mechanics feel if u dont try ^^

After all im not planing to stop playing any time soon so u have alot of time and wurm teaches patients and so i will be :)

Thank u guys for this great game,

have fun debugging :)

Greetings, Phyko

PS: Of cause I am open to all discussions related to my suggestions with anyone who wants too :) I know that many of these might Suggestions might have been suggested by others as well - thought if i'd post all I'd like there should be some new stuff as well ^^ if u find any misspelling please forgive me since im not native english and its ... 4 am over here XD

Lot to read, might try fewer ideas at a time and post them over a series of a week, some I like but it's a lot to take in at once.

Lot to read, might try fewer ideas at a time and post them over a series of a week, some I like but it's a lot to take in at once.

/agreed

Sandbox-Island: people build strange houses to try out what is possible why not making an little island wich has no deeds but plenty of room (flatish island) to build and test what ever structures u might want to build one day or just to train a bit :) the island could be pve with a resettimer of one month so there will allways be room to build more next time :)

Try the test server

Epic-Style-Server: Why not add another server with the same laws like epic servers but the same skillsystem like freedom-cluster ? this way people could decide later wether or not they want to go real brutal pvp with no skillloss by using an epic portal (dont want to start all over again)

Do you mean something like the chaos server?

Boatdocks:

I dont like the drop-dirt-boat-docks so much and would rather have wooden and stone ones build with pilars. they may be planed just like a house (or exactly the same giving the opotunity to build a house on top) and may need more materials if build in deeper areas and may even need u to be on a boat

Housepillars:

+1

Walls:

I love the arched walls but i can barly use them in one of the upper floor since i risk falling so it would be cool to have the ability to build a fence in a arched wall or have a fenced arched wall (what ever is easier to implement ^^). And somehow normal doors will make a roof even if they are covered in a walkthrou - this should be removed.

A fenced arched wall would be nice! works for small portcullises too.

a note: many of your suggestions have been suggested before. Try looking at the forums for them and giving them a +1

1. Break your ideas down into separate suggestions, no one wants to read a wall of text.

2. Learn about the game and what is already in progress, what has already been suggested many times, and what has already been tried.

• Like 1

And here we go again... Please break up idea next time, this is the third time this week I'm reading a wall of text to try to reply to so many ideas...

Everything on animals I have no comment about except the lowlifes. No to these, fighting does not require any help for you to get along, even if it is just to 20 FS. No one should be holding your hand or trying to make it easier to get to a higher level in something. If you think FS is hard try some of the smithing ones. You aren't entitled to an easy ride to higher skills in anything so please don't ask, if you don't want to put in the time and effort then go to another game.

If you read other thread you would notice that several of your building ideas have already been suggested and are being commented on by other people. I advise you to post your ideas there. Bridges are in the works already and you have statues in the game already that you can craft. You can already create stairs but they are useless at the moment, so that is obviously in the works. If you don't like the way docks are created, then don't make a dock, they take time and effort to craft, no skirting by to avoid the labor, and they can really be made very nicely if done correctly. No to diagonal housing or curved housing, Wurm is set on a grid system, would require wuite the overhaul in the how the game runs when there is more important things to work on. You also do not seem to understand what the point of a bsb is. It wasn't implemented to make sure your items wave with no damage and in bulk. It was created to remove items from the game, by removing 5% of the items per months and limiting the load on the server by combining many items of the same type under different variables into one variable to keep track of.

Big no to cartography and mapmaking, it just isn't needed in Wurm. And the merchants and Traders, if you haven't looked, is under quite a debate on other threads. People complaining about them and such.

The first server isn't really needed when people can just do the exact same thing on their own land. The second server is a little confusing, you are merging two styles off game play in which no one should be able to have access to skills they had on one side or the other. When you transfer through an Epic portal the game creates a copy of your character in the Epic realm or vise versa,starting as a completely green toon. However if you simply step back through the portal then you have all the same skills and stats as you had before, in a sense you would have 2 characters, although you wouldn't really be able to juggle going back and forth between Epic and Freedom for various reasons. The third server is something that will most likely happen, however there is an enormous amount of space across the 4 Main Freedom servers and the smaller 2 Freedom server cluster. I know you don't like starting over but just wait, things will come in due time.

Now you seem to be new to the forums but not the game. And since that, some things to think about before posting such a wide array of ideas. First being that not a whole lot of people are willing to sit down and read a wall of text for 10 minutes and spend 20 minutes responding to it like I have lol. So separate your ideas as the above posts said into new threads over time, makes it much easier to have quick relevant discussions about them and not have 20 things being said by 20 people across 10 pages of posts on one thread. Also, please read first what has already been suggested and look at how the crowd takes the idea, or look up around the forums if the idea is in progress already. I'd say about 60-70% of your ideas were already in the works, been talked about, or are already being discussed.

Now I know I have posted a wall o' text for some poor sap to read, as I just got done saying how no one wants to lol. However with so much packed into a thread this tends to happen with posts. I'm not upset or mad at your ideas, some of them are the same as many peoples' and are good ones, bear with me as I have now replied to 3 huge threads talking about various changes to be made to Wurm, not all of them good.

And with that I sign out for the night o/

Only see 1 or 2 good suggestions the other ones are already suggested or just never going to be implanted.

And here we go again... Please break up idea next time, this is the third time this week I'm reading a wall of text to try to reply to so many ideas...

Everything on animals I have no comment about except the lowlifes. No to these, fighting does not require any help for you to get along, even if it is just to 20 FS. No one should be holding your hand or trying to make it easier to get to a higher level in something. If you think FS is hard try some of the smithing ones. You aren't entitled to an easy ride to higher skills in anything so please don't ask, if you don't want to put in the time and effort then go to another game.

If you read other thread you would notice that several of your building ideas have already been suggested and are being commented on by other people. I advise you to post your ideas there. Bridges are in the works already and you have statues in the game already that you can craft. You can already create stairs but they are useless at the moment, so that is obviously in the works. If you don't like the way docks are created, then don't make a dock, they take time and effort to craft, no skirting by to avoid the labor, and they can really be made very nicely if done correctly. No to diagonal housing or curved housing, Wurm is set on a grid system, would require wuite the overhaul in the how the game runs when there is more important things to work on. You also do not seem to understand what the point of a bsb is. It wasn't implemented to make sure your items wave with no damage and in bulk. It was created to remove items from the game, by removing 5% of the items per months and limiting the load on the server by combining many items of the same type under different variables into one variable to keep track of.

Big no to cartography and mapmaking, it just isn't needed in Wurm. And the merchants and Traders, if you haven't looked, is under quite a debate on other threads. People complaining about them and such.

The first server isn't really needed when people can just do the exact same thing on their own land. The second server is a little confusing, you are merging two styles off game play in which no one should be able to have access to skills they had on one side or the other. When you transfer through an Epic portal the game creates a copy of your character in the Epic realm or vise versa,starting as a completely green toon. However if you simply step back through the portal then you have all the same skills and stats as you had before, in a sense you would have 2 characters, although you wouldn't really be able to juggle going back and forth between Epic and Freedom for various reasons. The third server is something that will most likely happen, however there is an enormous amount of space across the 4 Main Freedom servers and the smaller 2 Freedom server cluster. I know you don't like starting over but just wait, things will come in due time.

Now you seem to be new to the forums but not the game. And since that, some things to think about before posting such a wide array of ideas. First being that not a whole lot of people are willing to sit down and read a wall of text for 10 minutes and spend 20 minutes responding to it like I have lol. So separate your ideas as the above posts said into new threads over time, makes it much easier to have quick relevant discussions about them and not have 20 things being said by 20 people across 10 pages of posts on one thread. Also, please read first what has already been suggested and look at how the crowd takes the idea, or look up around the forums if the idea is in progress already. I'd say about 60-70% of your ideas were already in the works, been talked about, or are already being discussed.

Now I know I have posted a wall o' text for some poor sap to read, as I just got done saying how no one wants to lol. However with so much packed into a thread this tends to happen with posts. I'm not upset or mad at your ideas, some of them are the same as many peoples' and are good ones, bear with me as I have now replied to 3 huge threads talking about various changes to be made to Wurm, not all of them good.

And with that I sign out for the night o/

Wall of text vs Wall of text omg

Well thank you for your obvious keeness in Wurm and what it has the potential offer. You're likely to get a better feel for your suggestions if you split them in to seperate topic areas and posted seperately, and as someone has mentioned, space out the postings. Don't add 15 threads at once because sadly, some will see you as a troll for it and treat you as such.

Also, a quick search of the forums - both active and archive may well turn up older threads about some of the ideas.

Wall of text vs Wall of text omg

Ya sorry bout that :/

Took up a bit more space then I had thought as when you type up a post it is in a little window, came out more then I expected lol

Do you mean something like the chaos server?

. The second server is a little confusing, you are merging two styles off game play in which no one should be able to have access to skills they had on one side or the other.

With Epic-Style-Server i mean merging the rules and possibilities of epic : eg. stealing and BL with our skillsystem like it is on the freedom cluster , so having a real pvp server on the freedom cluster and not just wild/chaos wich does not have as much of realistic pvp style due to no stealing and giving people on the freedom cluster the chance of enjoying all possibilities of the game like BL .

split them in to seperate topic
Wall of text

etc etc

Im sorry for that ^^ I will for the future split my thoughts in varius posts :) and im sry for some reposts

next time better :)

phyko

Well read what I had said here:

The second server is a little confusing, you are merging two styles off game play in which no one should be able to have access to skills they had on one side or the other. When you transfer through an Epic portal the game creates a copy of your character in the Epic realm or vise versa,starting as a completely green toon. However if you simply step back through the portal then you have all the same skills and stats as you had before, in a sense you would have 2 characters, although you wouldn't really be able to juggle going back and forth between Epic and Freedom for various reasons.

Would really defeat the purpose of having that sort of server as there really is no benifit :/

But u would have to start all over on epic and i am a person (i suppose im not the only one) who likes to stick to just one char , having 2 chars , wich u could not even switch when ever u want is kinda bad for me . ofcause u can enjoy just epic , wich would mean u have just one char but then u would not be able to enjoy the pleasure of building nicely like u would have on freedom. And from other threads i cna read that wild used to be just like that but was changed to low-pvp when joining the freedom cluster

Chaos has full pvp, raiding stealing, player made kingdoms etc... pretty much everything epic has except the curve the skillgain and the scenarios. The black light is coming this week or next week according to rolf in the irc.

As for the rest of your suggestions they have been suggested before or in the works. For the sandbox server you have the test server and for the other you have epic. And if rolf puts in a freedom server that has the curve and 2x skillgain then that will be the end of wurm.

Edited by atazs