Sign in to follow this  
Bart

Wurm Kills My Computer

Basically, when playing wurm recently i've been having an issue, my laptop totally cuts out (power off and everything instantly) it can sometimes take 2-3 hours of play for this to happen, or can happen 4-5 times in the space of an hour.

Don't think its an overheating issue, i keep the fan uncovered and have cleaned it several times recently.

I run my client on all the lowest possible settings, the reason i think its something wurm related is because i can watch movies for hours while browsing/ duel-screening with other things with no problems at all.

Used to have this issue a while back but it seemed to stop until the last few months, now its really bad, i can expect to crash 3/4 times an hour when out hunting, and its almost a guaranteed thing during PvP (which is a big part of why i enjoy wurm)

Not sure if anyone can help/has had similar issues and can give me some advise.

It is an overheating issue. That is what happens when your computer overheats - it automatically shuts off to prevent damage.

Please post your computer hardware, OS, and driver versions.

Also consider running some kind of hardware monitor to see how high the temperature gets before the computer shuts off.

Remember, this game is written in java and java was never intended to be used in this way, and there likely hasn't been any kind of performance optimization done on the game yet. Even very powerful computers get taxed by this game, so consider lowering the game's settings to ease the load on your computer.

Edited by guitarxe

If you could tell me how to find those things, its an old Dell studio laptop thats all i know xD

Wierd thing is im not sure how it can be overheating i played 8 hours straight yesterday hunting, in a warm room with no windows open and had no crashes

Today i'm playing in the same room, sitting right next to a window, all the windows open and its really cold with a strong wind coming through, the laptop doesnt feel hot at any point, yet i'm getting 5-6 shutdowns an hour.

Bump

This is still happening, have cleaned the fan etc and it has made no difference, i can stand an account still for hours, casting or whatever, with no problems, but as soon as i try to go out and pvp, or hunt, or even walk around my deed, total shutdown

graphics are too much for your labtop. Most labtops onboard graphics cards cant handle really anygames. id suggest updating drivers and stick a fan beside your labtop so itll help keep it cooler

Thanks guys, i'll post here again when i've had a chance to take a look at things

Thanks to some helpful pm's I've narrowed the problem down to having a rubbish graphics card, crashes have been drastically reduced by dropping all setting to next to nothing and setting the no world render when I run a second client (which I can actually do now)

Strange, I get the same behaviour but on a stationary computer, with a good graphic card Geforce GTX 550 Ti

It looks like overheating, and most likely is... But I have no idea what to do, since lowest settings doesn't help much