Sign in to follow this  
Elen

Have Forges And Ovens Generate Ash

I think both forges and ovens should generate ash proportional to how long they remain lit. Something like 0.1 per 5 minutes would be nice, and especially nice if it would just be one item, growing in weight.

• Like 15

+1, but let's keep it to 1 ash per log, and the same decay rates still apply, so if you don't pick it up it decays away quickly. Makes those that want the ash keep their forges clean, and let's those that don't want it let it rot.

I like this suggestion. What are the potential drawbacks, imbalances or griefings/cheatings that could come from such

change?

/Andreas

• Like 1

I like this suggestion. What are the potential drawbacks, imbalances or griefings/cheatings that could come from such

change?

/Andreas

None that I can think of, apart from ash would become much easier to create which is really a beneficial thing x)

Maybe only have the ash spawn once the forge has gone out so it doesn't interfere with what's already in there (ie lessen how many items you can have) or just have a "clean" option with the forge that uses a 10 second timer to give you howevermuch ash should be given.

• Like 1

campfires being only way to get ash is kinda boring..

this would get it a lot nicer and then leatherworkers wouldnt need to worry about this boring part =p

I don't see any drawbacks would only be convenient.

Know when I need some ash I just spam camp fires along the road and wait a bit, clutters the landscape and is annoying, especially xonsidering that concrete needs ash too.

clean option sounds good, would save spamming tons of fires...

There is another thread about replacing lye with tannin in tanning, there I mentioned what we could use a lot more more ash for:

Some other uses for lye:

Lutfisk! (lye fish)

A typical skandinavian method to preserve fish. It would be just perfect for Wurm.

Lutfisk would be something that fits nicely in a fsb.

Soap for cleaning infected wounds and for improving cloth and leather.

Concrete is already implemented.

change?

/Andreas

Ever heard of a Fad called milking? where people dump milk on their head, in wurm we will have Lyeing

+1

No complaints from me. I had to make 50+ fires for 12 Concrete to fix a rock tile and I'll need more ash to fix the entrance I messed up anyways.

I don't think I've ever or will use Ash or Lye for anything else.

+1 I really don't see the difference between using a campfire or a forge/oven for creating ash. If you could only create ash with Charcoal Piles, then there's an obvious discrepancy, but that's not the case. All these containers use the same fuel type and roughly the same procedure for lighting.

The only question is: what would determine the quality of the ash? The QL of the container or the QL of the kindling used to light it? If it's the QL of the container, then that could be viewed as a possible imbalance.

The only question is: what would determine the quality of the ash? The QL of the container or the QL of the kindling used to light it? If it's the QL of the container, then that could be viewed as a possible imbalance.

Best would be if ql is capped by the average quality of the fuel you used. Alternatively make a piece of ash for each piece of fuel in varying qualities

The quality of the forge or oven should determine your chance to get maximum quality ash.

Also only wood fuel should produce ash.

The 'Clean' option mentioned a few times above seems like the easiest way to implement this without it affecting anyone's existing routines. Those who wouldn't want the ash could simply never do the cleaning, to be honest people would probably pay a smidge to come clean your forges hehe.

Thinking it could be an option with either a shovel or wire brush equiped.

The 'Clean' option mentioned a few times above seems like the easiest way to implement this without it affecting anyone's existing routines. Those who wouldn't want the ash could simply never do the cleaning, to be honest people would probably pay a smidge to come clean your forges hehe.

Thinking it could be an option with either a shovel or wire brush equiped.

I'd say a shovel, or maybe a bucket? Maybe both? Think about when any of you have had to clean out a fireplace IRL(if you have). You had your little shovel, maybe a brush, and a bucket to put it all in but more seemed to want to go into the air than into the bucket :lol:

Something would have to keep track of how much ash is in a forge though :huh:

When you make a campfire the fire has a ql iirc, i'm guessing the forge fire gets one too so the limiter should be easy enough.

One drawback that comes to mind is the increase of ash items on the database. However, ash has gained an increase in usefulness, so that may help mitigate the impact. Not to mention ash already fits in bulk bins.

+1 Great idea .... would do away with players lighting campfires all over the place just to make ash.

And yes i know you get ash from coal piles but there much harder to make and campfires are easyer and quicker to make ash.