Sign in to follow this  
Kgb

For Those Interested Pcg Review.

PC Gamer has released a review of Wurm Online.

This can be found by clicking here.

Personally I'm enjoying it and have done for a long time :)

Really? I mean 1.0 released, they don't show one screenshot of the new amazing player models? That's a shame, I mean that's a huge highlight of the game right now, and multistory. I sometimes wonder if the reviewers even play.

I think the point is that player models are expected in any other game. Overall I think it's a fair review, certainly some things for Rolf and Co to consider.

The summary is spot on, although some parts of the review clearly show the reviewer is not part of the target audience.

This is a difficult MMO to join and enjoy. It’s also one of the few that dares to be its own game instead of following the usual well-trod paths. If you ‘get it’, as many have during its beta, Wurm is one of those rare games that can reshape your view of what online worlds should be doing and the freedom they can offer. If not, you’ll bounce off it, hard.

Woulda been nice if they didn't make the screen shots so ugly by colorizing them.

I give PC Gamer a 48 for failing miserably at trying to be artsy.

Edited by Sarcaticous

They had to choose the worst pictures. They are hurting my eyes and was it nessecary to have glow on?? They also seem to be really negative about it now. I remember years ago they were saying how good it is and even listed it in their top 100 pc games. What happened?

Edited by atazs

They had to choose the worst pictures. They are hurting my eyes and was it nessecary to have glow on?? They also seem to be really negative about it now. I remember years ago they were saying how good it is and even listed it in their top 100 pc games. What happened?

Probably a different writer.

What the hell did they do to the pictures? Adding color filters to pretty up the screenshots seems like an insincere thing to do after pointing out how Wurm "dares to be its own game instead of following the usual well-trod paths".

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

Suppose it's a worthy effort.

Did enough homework to know Notch worked on the game. Apperently also at least aware that his own colleagues have played and enjoyed the game even prior to the many great additions since then.

Unfortunately, he didn't take the proper step to confer with them. It would have been interesting to hear their opinion, rather than only his own. Anyone interested in any type of reporting shouldn't miss an opportunity to get a good first-hand historical perspective. Fail on that.

His point of reference is World of Warcraft... which in a sense may explain a lot. Nothing wrong with the microwave generation, fine lads and lasses, but I fear some of them have never actually learned the value of a good old fashioned oven. Sure, it takes longer, it requires a bit more care and attention, you run a higher risk of burning yourself or your meal, you need some patience and may have to withstand a bit of rumbling in the stomach as you wait... but the end-product is invariably better.

In fairness, the complaints he did have sound familiar. If it helps ward away those who don't stand a chance of enjoying the game, and thereby avoids any negative word of mouth from them, it will actually have done Wurm a favor. Success on that.

I've certainly enjoyed WoW a great deal in the past, but I was younger, more impulsive, and a far more dedicated follower of Zymurgy than I am today. Wurm ain't for everyone.

• Like 1

I like this part of the review.

Wurm Online is one of the most innovative MMOs around, but damn, will it make you work to appreciate that fact.

The rest of the review needs alot more work. Just my opinion

I actually don't like that article :o it seems he tried to make it look "good" in a way, but in no way was he "neutral"

I think he should've made it clearer that this whole article is about his own experience how HE sees the game as it's a really negative article :/ even the point that EVERYTHING is playermade is a negative point for him....which is awkward, cause it's one of the "strengths" of wurm....

also I don't understand why he had to make those screenshots ugly as hell o.o he could have used some really good ones from the forums and why the heck is that color filter on it? *sigh*

really...it's not the best way to review a game with only reflecting one side....

My deed is the 3rd pic on the 2nd page. I agree I don't see why he colorized the screenshots...

Strange colors on their screens :/ blue,greenish :(

Those are altered (shopped) shots, which is really misleading. :/

That review was interesting to me.. he was close to " getting bit by the Wurm " as I like to say. He spoke alot of feeling lonely and I had the impression he may not been part of a village. For social people that is super key to enjoying your stay here. He had alot of good points and our dev team is working on the right click monotony they've said and the tutorial/ first steps of WURM. It was fair and at least he was a gamer he sees WURMS potential.

Bom

I think the reviewer pretty much hit the nail on the head. Wurm Online isn't a game for everyone. It's a very niche game, and he said almost the exact same things as my friends when I introduced them to the game.

Haha, this part has it pretty much spot on:

Wurm Online may be slower than continental drift' date=' but it has incredible scope for those players willing to embrace its opportunities[/quote']

Everyone seems to miss the point that this is how a lot of new players see the game. Sure you can denounce everything this guy says and live in a Wurm-bubble thinking everyone else is wrong, but it's simply not true. The game needs a lot of work and until it's fixed a lot of outstanding issues, has it's animations/graphics improved and other such niceties, this is how people will continue to see it.

I remember playing a few years ago, back when we were still "standing" on our horses/mounts, and this is the reaction many people gave it back then too. Wurm is gaining momentum and changing a lot, but it's still got a long way to go if it wants to attract a serious following. And i think this line near the end summed up both the game and the community...

The result is one of those games that may as well have a line of fire drawn between players who can’t believe anyone could possibly want to play it, and those who can’t see why anyone would want to play anything else.

... which is clear from the way people defend Wurm against anyone that dares to say a bad word about the current state of the game. Whether we're talking about the state in 2006, 2009 or 2013. Wurm might be perfect to some. I don't think it is personally, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game.

Edited by Fattox
  • Like 1

The point you're missing though is that Wurm isn't a game designed to please everyone and attract millions of players.

Yes, this may be hard for some to comprehend, but the game isn't made to maximise profit by appealing to the widest demograph. Wurm is clearly the game that Rolf wants to make (albeit with some sensible alterations) and games like that will normally prove divisive to the larger market. It's not without it's faults, oh lord it has it's faults, but you can't expect a niche game designed to be a niche game to score 99 on the mass-appeal magazine reviews.

So the review will point a couple more players this way who may or may not stay, and the game will go on regardless. I mean, it's survived this long without the current bells and whistles.

• Like 1

Seemed a fairly fair review. I likes the little one sentence version in the little red box at the end.

My deed is the 3rd pic on the 2nd page. I agree I don't see why he colorized the screenshots...

Awesome fort you've got there!

I stopped reading when he said you need crafted items to heal wounds...

I must be missing something - how do you get rid of medium and worse wounds if not with a crafted item?

Edited by Lily

Not a totally bad score, I think it is pretty accurate or even a bit high if you consider what most people who never played it before would think about it.

I don't really like the review though, although some part are well written, it's written partly with some other persons thoughts in mind which is a bit strange. He first bashes the game and then says that for some other person it is really nice..

Anyway, although the review is pretty shallow it is spot on in some places, quite off in others. It's a shame about the bad screeen shots also.

Pretty much expected from this type of Magazine and really, Wurm got away with a desent score.