Sign in to follow this  
Darkren

Allow Creation, Spreading Or Regeneration Of Tundra Tiles

Tundra tiles, right now, are non-renewable. Once they're destroyed, they're permanently gone. Every newbie that moves out into the Tundra I live by permanently destroys some small piece of it, and the complete destruction of the tundra, albeit distant, is eventual. I can think of three ways to combat this.

Creation: Similar to using mixed grass to create steppe, or flowers and sprouts to create grass, Tundra could receive it's own unique harvestable item, perhaps namely "tundra moss" or such. It could allow easy reparation of tundras, and allow players to bring a piece of the tundra to their own homes. (On a few occasions, I've seen people in the area try to dig up some tundra but just leaving a 2x2 dirt surface there in the end.) Technically it could devalue the novelty, though still a fair option.

Regeneration: I'm not sure how possible this is, but if the original tundra tiles could be determined, they could, in eventuality, return back into tundra tiles (if they are dirt or grass tiles, etc).

Spreading: If tundra could spread, even if just (very) slowly, the tundras could easily heal themselves from the isolated digging attempts, and abandoned 1-2 tile packed dirt roads all the way across the tundra. This is likely one of the best options, keeping tundras in their original area and still letting them heal. It would make sense for it to be able to spread, as the tundra tiles are organic (compared to the previous "snowy" version).

• Like 1

I support any and all of your suggestions there. If I had to choose, I would go with spreading :)

Just a slight nuance. Tundra can be made, but it's a very time consuming process which requires a priest that can easily cast Ice Pillar. If i were to choose an option i'd go for spreading as well.

.... We want the tundra because.... Its frankly hedious, unproductive, and often occupies nice useable land. Its the mountain equivalent of marsh.

• Like 1

+1 yes please, because its also nice hunting grounds and its ugly when there are dirt patches inbetween that never go away. Also its a variety of wurm landscape.

Unfortunately, real tundra does not spread and grows very slowly, taking hundreds of years to regrow, which is why it has been made the way it is in Wurm. It is an approximation of how we really treat Tundra, and when we destroy it in RL it is basically gone forever. We must all learn to treat it with more respect, and get the new players to understand this too.

And I do believe that the one way we do have to replace it is probably about right too. RL efforts to restore tundra are also very hard to do, and usually fail.

Unfortunately, real tundra does not spread and grows very slowly, taking hundreds of years to regrow, which is why it has been made the way it is in Wurm. It is an approximation of how we really treat Tundra, and when we destroy it in RL it is basically gone forever. We must all learn to treat it with more respect, and get the new players to understand this too.

And I do believe that the one way we do have to replace it is probably about right too. RL efforts to restore tundra are also very hard to do, and usually fail.

this is a game.

Maybe if you slice little pieces from mixed grass, it will allow you to make tundra instead of steppe.

this is a game.

Maybe if you slice little pieces from mixed grass, it will allow you to make tundra instead of steppe.

It's also a simutlation, and some things need to reflect RL in order to have consistency, a base from which you figure out how this world works. And I see no problem in a fragile terrain that must be preserved or we lose it forever, just like RL.

Edited by Vroomfondel

As allready pointed this is a game, and Tundra is a pest, steppe is a better hunting ground and with the advange that can be botanized, the only good thing about tundra is the fact that don´t spread.

As allready pointed this is a game, and Tundra is a pest, steppe is a better hunting ground and with the advange that can be botanized, the only good thing about tundra is the fact that don´t spread.

Exactly and on top of that by very large majorites the tundra is seen as unattractive and not what people think of when imaging tundra. Looks like purple mud.

-1 Tundra is useless. It produces nothing. It spawns nothing. Nothing to botanize. Nothing to forage. Nothing to harvest. And although the color is close to what some tundra looks like it is very very ugly. The last thing I want to see is tundra spreading.

I really don't understand why people want something so hideously useless.

Maybe if we dug tundra and produced uranium and oil sands.

Edited by Sarcaticous

-1 Tundra is useless. It produces nothing. It spawns nothing. Nothing to botanize. Nothing to forage. Nothing to harvest. And although the color is close to what some tundra looks like it is very very ugly. The last thing I want to see is tundra spreading.

I really don't understand why people want something so hideously useless.

Im usually in favor of useless. Generally being such myself. But not ugly useless.

Steppe is the same way IRL but yet we have seeds in game and it spreads. Grass is fairly slow to spread IRL also. Should we now make it take wurm weeks for that? Slow down tree growth? Its a game it should spread just as fast as grass or give us some other method besides Ice pillar that may work 1 out of 100 tries. God knows ive burned thousands of favor trying to make tundra and to this day 3 tiles total.

Tundra is a pest for some but not others. I am not a fan of the current tundra texture as it looks horrid but as a terrain I still like it. Serious why would you -1 it when it can be removed and replaced if it gets to close to you? The people that do want it have no means to create it. I dont understand why people like steppe so much because I dont like it but I wont deny it to them either as its a matter of what people like or dont and why should I deny them their patch of steppe?

Edited by Evilvision

Steppe is the same way IRL but yet we have seeds in game and it spreads. Grass is fairly slow to spread IRL also. Should we now make it take wurm weeks for that? Slow down tree growth? Its a game it should spread just as fast as grass or give us some other method besides Ice pillar that may work 1 out of 100 tries. God knows ive burned thousands of favor trying to make tundra and to this day 3 tiles total.

Tundra is a pest for some but not others. I am not a fan of the current tundra texture as it looks horrid but as a terrain I still like it. Serious why would you -1 it when it can be removed and replaced if it gets to close to you? The people that do want it have no means to create it. I dont understand why people like steppe so much because I dont like it but I wont deny it to them either as its a matter of what people like or dont and why should I deny them their patch of steppe?

I know how hard it is to create tundra from Ice Pillar, but I'll admit I've had a lot better luck than you, my tundra experiment is now at 3x5 tiles. And I'm putting it in a more realistic location, along the top of a high ridge instead of in a valley. I like tundra, it is fun to hunt on. But I also feel that not everything should be equal in Wurm, and since tundra is so fragile and hard to repair in RL, I just think it should be that way here too. I see no harm in having environmental conservancy issues in the game. I guess that is because I've always considered Wurm more of a simulation than a game.

And btw, IRL grass is one of the easiest plants to grow on earth. Unless you are in a very harsh area where everything struggles to live, grass can cover most any disturbed ground in a short time. Steppe grasses are a little different due to them growing in a cold climate, but they grow back much faster than tundra will heal if it is damaged.

Edited by Vroomfondel