Sign in to follow this  
Postes

Common Mac Issues (Fixes And Advice).

Note: I am not a developer, just a Mac user who often has had many issues with Wurm and resolved a lot of those issues, and I know others have similar issues as well but there's limited help for Macs.

I am on Mountain Lion, 10.8.2. The game login screen appears, I log in, and then it poofs.

Apple recently did some changes with Java, and in short Java 7, the version doesn't work with Wurm Online. You have to use Java 6, but you can't install Java 6 on Mountain Lion 10.8.2, so you have to call Wurm Online directly from the Terminal (console) to launch in Java 6.

If by default (most people have this), you downloaded .jnlp to your /Downloads/ folder, just go to the Terminal. (Applications > Utilities > Terminal), and put in this line:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/javaws downloads/wurmclient.jnlp

The game should launch, it may also ask you to create an .app, which is basically a shortcut that you can even place on your Dock, and will work smoothly now once again.

When I try to launch it from terminal I get, "Bad Installation. No JRE found in configuration file."

Just a issue with latest Java, but an easy fix.

Open up Terminal, and put in this line of code:

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Delete :JavaWebComponentVersionMinimum" /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist

I'm on an older version of OS X such as Snow Leopard, and now I can't run Wurm, it won't even launch!

As of January 2013 Mac has blacklisted Java for security threats and this has effected the launching of the Wurm program. It is important to know that Wurm has absolutely no risks, this is merely a drastic move from Apple. There's a few ways to fix this -- the easiest is going to the Apple.com website, buying the Mountain Lion upgrade ($20 USD), it takes roughly an hour to install and it downloads right off the Internet. Then follow instructions above.

I believe soon Apple will make an optional fix for this, but until then check out this Discussion thread from Apple to fix it, but I heavily advise just purchasing Mountain Lion:

https://discussions....097498#21097498

I was just doing an action, and suddenly my game crashed and I got a red little box!

The developers now added a visual effect for the rare drumroll to make an item rare, supreme, or fantastic. I am not sure if this is for all Macs, but for myself on Mountain Lion 10.8.2 I realized when I would crash, I would login and made a rare item. It was fairly obvious the new effect was not working with Macs smoothly. I contacted Darkfilo, and here's the easy fix:

When you launch go to Settings > Compatibility and turn "GLSL shader support" to "Extension." This fixes it, and you will see the visual effect in game now!

I can't hear much, only certain sounds, but not really the wind or fighting.

By default the launcher starts with the sound settings in Software, and for some reason this doesn't work well with Macs. It sometimes is spotty and sounds are missing. Go to the launcher, click Settings, Sound, and change the Sound Engine to "Hardware (OpenAL)." You should notice more sounds easier.

Models load in at different times, some animals just randomly appear!

Been reported, but no fix. There's a compatability issue with some of the newer models, and they load in slower. Sometimes it will take up to a minute before one the newer game models (like a horse, player model, bear, etc) to become visible. Hopefully a fix soon!

Nothing animates!

No fix for this, sadly things aren't working that smoothly with Macs at the moment, even with animations on you will not see proper animations.

Edited by Postes
  • Like 1

Thanks for this post, Postes.

I had just ran into the "Bad Installation. No JRE found in configuration file." issue this morning, and was able to instantly solve it with your tip! You literally saved my day!

Cheers,

-- Grobrim

No problem, encountered it myself, figured instead of 10 threads with same subject, we just have one!

No problem, if you have anything or tips you did to get it working, post here and I'll add it!

New crash recently due to rare visual, added fix thanks to Darkfilo!

Thanks Postes, this fixed my problem instantly. You are my hero!

• Like 1

The command /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/javaws downloads/wurmclient.jnlp used to work fine on my computer but now it seems not to recognize that Java is even installed. When trying to load the program using the above command, it now says "Java Web Start splash screen process exiting...Can not find message file: No such file or directory" even though the wurmclient.jlnp file is in the Downloads folder. Also, when trying to load using the Wurm Online shortcut this says "To open "Wurm Online," you need to download the Java Runtime Environment for Web Start applications"

I have tried updating to the latest version of Java, deleting and reinstalling the Wurm client on my computer, and none of these have worked. I am using Mountain Lion version 10.8.2.

Edit:

"sudo defaults write /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist JavaWebComponentVersionMinimum \"1.6.0_37-b06-434\ has solved the problem

Edited by Carrotz
  • Like 1

I can confirm what carrotz is saying. I'm running 10.8.2 and got the message "Can not find message file: No such file or directory" using the /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/javaws downloads/wurmclient.jnlp command

The problem is indeed in the XProtect.meta file where apple has recently added an entry to block all older java versions.

I opened it up with the command

sudo nano /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist

This opens up a texteditor in the terminal that lets you edit the file. If you have never used a terminal texteditor you'll have to google for some basic commands like saving.

In that file add the <!-- --> comment tags to the following lines:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<!--
<key>JavaWebComponentVersionMinimum</key>
<string>1.6.0_37-b06-435</string>
-->
<key>LastModification</key>
<string>Thu, 31 Jan 2013 04:41:14 GMT</string>
<key>PlugInBlacklist</key>
<dict>
<key>10</key>
<dict>
<key>com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin</key>
<dict>
<key>MinimumPlugInBundleVersion</key>
<string>11.3.300.271</string>
</dict>
<!--
<key>com.oracle.java.JavaAppletPlugin</key>
<dict>
<key>MinimumPlugInBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.7.11.22</string>
</dict>
-->
</dict>
</dict>
<key>Version</key>
<integer>2028</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Carrotz solution is maybe easier since you don't need to open the editor. However looking at the file you see what the issue is, the MinimumPlugInBundleVersion Apple has set for java. I also noticed that after restart i must reapply this fix.

Overall this game is really problematic with mac. When I try to use fullscreen the game freezes (anyone know a fix?), I have no animations in game so everything is so static and dead finally I have the issue with models dissapearing. Sometimes when I see people I only see their armours and I've also had problems with horses dissapearing. I'd play this with my windows laptop but it just doesn't have the power for this game :(

okay so every time i type in the sudo command it asks me for my password, but i can't type!? Has this ever happened to you?

It doesn't show you putting in your password, but you are typing it, Dread. Just put it in, and hit enter.

With mountain lion and new java, will I need to enter the terminal command each time I wish to run Wurm?

P.S; You rock. My thanks for putting this up, solves every mac issue I've come across, providing the Mountain lion fix will work on my new mac :P

Yes and No, Radni, you can optionally launch that way, but my Mountain Lion when I reinstalled Wurm gave me an .app that I just put on my dock and it launches fine.

Hmmm.. so it ran but froze up, I force quit it (wurm that is ) and then I enter the terminal command again to launch it again, and it gives me Bad installation. No JRE found in configuration file ... so I enter the line of code you said to enter, "sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Delete :JavaWebComponentVersionMinimum" /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist"

And enter my password, and it gives me "Username is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported."

Errmm.. What have I done wrong?! D:

Ok so i'm having this issue as well with Wurm. I knew it was a bad idea to update Java :(

You'll have to forgive me for this but I am not really sure what to do to get this to work properly. My Macbook Pro is less than a year old and I needed it for college purposes but it's all I have that is mobile until I can invest in a laptop.

I can work well with PC's but i'll be damned if i'm going to start messing with the inner workings of Mac's just yet, so can someone help me by explaining exactly what I need to do to fix this?

This whole terminal code and sudo thing is what I don't get.

And i'm getting the whole... Poof issue :)

Not at the moment but I can get it.

I tried what was suggested above anyhow but still couldn't get it to work proper.

I then did what was suggested with the sudo texteditor or whatever it's called... but no matter how much I looked online i had no idea how I was meant to save it and so it didn't work :(

I'll let you know when I am able to get on IRC and when i'm home where my Mac is.

I can probably help but would need to talk directly, AIM, MSN, or Skype?

Hello I've been trying all day to connect to Wurm but for some reason it crashes after log in. Could anyone help me it seems to be the same problem as you guys with mac. Mine is a Mac Book Pro Mid 2012 with Mountain Lion 10.8.2

I've been able to log in to the game and everything works perfectly, but my issue now is when I close the game my Mac freezes and I have to reboot. Any fix on this? Also I would like to know how to create a shortcut so I don't have to be typing that command in terminal everytime I want to play.

Thank you

CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified: downloads/wurmclient.jnlp]

at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Main.java:367)

at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Main.java:283)

at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Main.java:116)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

This is what i get when entering /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/javaws downloads/wurmclient.jnlp

I get "Command not found" after using your command, or by using the first one mentioned by Postes.

Edited by Jerln

Anyclue on how to install the game on windows 8?

In a mac issues thread? No