Sign in to follow this  
bwg

Rare Functionality

We already have a couple of nice long threads discussing rare items and what they've been reported to do so I have started adding in to the item pages what the most common difference is compared to the regular counterpart. I've also included a disclaimer template {{rare}} to add below any sections relating to rare functionality.

Disclaimer: Rare functionality is still in its infancy and any information listed may only be an observation of one or more players rather than a confirmed bonus.

As a rule the wiki only contains confirmed information and is not a forum for discussion, however I feel now that we have a lot of reports coming in we can safely begin including the rare workings on item pages - but still using the disclaimer template. I'd say after around 6 more months of testing we can probably begin removing the disclaimer from some items.

http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Rare

http://forum.wurmonl...e-item-reports/

http://forum.wurmonl..._20#entry592357

I've tidied up the Talk:Rare itempage so that we can manage changes better and also added a {{confirmed}} template for items discussed.

Current items of topic are:

• Signs. Do these really add 1 letter over the quality of the sign?
  • Rings. Is there a favor bonus to sacrificing a rare over a regular?
  • Shards/Clay/Scraps etc: What are your experiences combining rares with regulars? I've tried 3 experiments and each time I've ended up with larger versions of the rare, however others have confirmed that they don't see this.

I will add to the list over time. Thanks!

Edited by bwg

Combining: has a chance to stay rare, sometimes it does, sometimes it loses rarity.

• Shards/Clay/Scraps etc: What are your experiences combining rares with regulars? I've tried 3 experiments and each time I've ended up with larger versions of the rare, however others have confirmed that they don't see this.

It's common knowledge that it's not 100% to get a larger rare every time when combining a rare and non-rare object. We've already discussed this and you've already asked other people also and they give the same answer...

It's common knowledge that it's not 100% to get a larger rare every time when combining a rare and non-rare object. We've already discussed this and you've already asked other people also and they give the same answer...

You gonna be OK with me putting something to the lines of:

Combining rare [shards/clay/...] with regular versions has a small chance of creating a larger, higher volume version.

...per line 3 of the rare notes on this page?

Has anyone seen a rare large anvil. Im trying to imp one but not any luck yet.

You gonna be OK with me putting something to the lines of:

Combining rare [shards/clay/...] with regular versions has a small chance of creating a larger, higher volume version.

...per line 3 of the rare notes on this page?

Of course. Sorry about the tension, just been a little stressed lately.

Edited by Laiwyn

Has anyone seen a rare large anvil. Im trying to imp one but not any luck yet.

I have a rare large anvil. Failure rare appears lower although the percentages haven't increased, so could be adding a nice hidden bonus, although I'm not in a position to yet put that as confirmed. Quality of produce is too random to say it helps.

I have a rare large anvil. Failure rare appears lower although the percentages haven't increased, so could be adding a nice hidden bonus, although I'm not in a position to yet put that as confirmed. Quality of produce is too random to say it helps.

Rare large anvils gives +1 quality in creation. Thats how I made my 20.66ql mountain of frying pans. Small anvils +1ql, carving knife +1ql, ropetool +1ql, spindle +1ql. I use these productivity tools every day, loving the QL bonus.

• Signs. Do these really add 1 letter over the quality of the sign?

Signs add 1 extra letter for rare (2 for large signs) and 2 for supreme (4 extra for large??) (so +1ql effects for rare and +2ql for supreme)

I can confirm this with a rare large sign and a supreme shop sign.

I don't think it's necessary to put on every tool page that "[tool name] with rare properties have been seen to [action] faster" because it's only a 0.1s increase for rare. Unless a tool has a bonus other than the regular minor speed increase I don't think that note should go on each tool page. It's redundant and when you're not specifying how much of an increase in speed it is then it's misleading to the uninformed.

Just wanted to say before a bunch of tool pages have that same info added.

Edited by Laiwyn
  • Like 1

Noted. I'll have a think about a different approach.

I've attached two rare dirts to a charcoal pile before. Both drumrolled, but the pile did not turn rare.

while ship building I had a rare Oar and a Rare Mast. Continuing Build with them ALWAYS produced a Drum Roll even a failure, but has not made the final item rare..

• Like 4