Sign in to follow this  
Xallo

Hunting Server

Hunting Server  

523 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Hunting Server added?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care / Doesn't Effect Me

Due to the wording, humungous seems to imply new mechanics. They've learned their lesson, large servers do not attract proportionate players/tile compared to multiple smaller servers.

I'm actually curious if it will be a PvE scenario server.

If it was PvE scenario server that would go great for the hunting server...

Also if the devs do listen and make it no build/deed just make sure there is 1 deed so that we can respawn.

A PvE scenario server would be cool.

I hope the new server is the sort of place that is inspired by elements of other fantasy MMORPGs. Stuff like a random dragon spawns on the server and roams around and us players put up a party to go kill it. No drake hide drops but maybe it could drop other material rewards like 99ql armour and special items, just something to get you excited.

Boss mobs basically but ones where you know this is gonna be a big fight.

Hi,

You'll make over 70% of Wurm happy if you add this new server! :)

when will you ppl finally understand that Wurm isn't WoW?

You're so called "hunting server" is actually a "slaughterhouse area" known too well from all the theme park MMOs out there. Go there, be sure to find hordes and hordes of critters to slay, wait a minute, they'll respawn soon. FS until you puke, yeah!

This isn't wurmish at all - Wurm, as one of the very few games left, has a certain meaning of "hunting" - quite realistic: Go out, search for prey, kill, search for more etc.

Not the WoW version: Go to known spawn, slaughter anything, wait for respawn ...

If you want more FS beyond 70, there's Chaos. If you cannot get your 70 on Freedom, search for a more easy game.

But don't make Wurm a WoW clone, please!

Kind regards,

Xandra

• Like 1

Okay, so it's not your idea of Wurm... fine. So don't go to the island. If they make this island and it serves no use to you, but it does to me, will it hurt you if I go there and you stay where you are? No. Your game play is unaffected.

But,

If you want more FS beyond 70, there's Chaos. If you cannot get your 70 on Freedom, search for a more easy game.

• Like 1

Hi,

Why should I "have" to visit a PVP island to gain more substantial skill over level 70, as a PVE player? Wouldn't that be forcing a kind of gameplay on me?

Is it fair to those few people that have earned very high fight skills on the PvE servers, with insane perseverance and over years, when their success now is watered in such a way?

(and no, I'm not such - have 71 or 72 or such)

Edited by Depends

Hi,

By your posts, you seem to have assumed everyone wants a huge flat island filled with animals packed shoulder to shoulder so we can grind out 90 skill in a weekend.

Yes, this is what I read from many of the promoters. I may be wrong, though - but to me it sounds this way.

Early in the thread I was talking about the fun our group had with 4 or 5 hour hunting trips to the troll spawn to get titles and fs for everyone. Climbing through valleys and around mountains, trying not to let stragglers die to spiders. Finally getting there and searching for trolls in the old dense zero visibility lemon forests hoping not to get jumped before the rest of the group could get to you. I would love to have a tough trip like that again.

And you cannot do this on your server anymore? Come to Independence. Vast empty areas there, and with a bit of luck you'll find what you're looking for. But as in real hunting - send out a scout at first to find a good place, then get your party ready, your carts hitched and venture out for the fun. We do this every other month, as soon as mining, crafting, farming & feeding all day long becomes too cumbersome again ...

My perfect hunting server would be a playground for the devs to try out new animals every once in a while or throw in a random cave halfway up a mountain with something(s) big and hungry in it. Maybe have events now and then like Bloodworth used to run.

No quests or prizes just exploration and murder.

Why not use the test server for this? Where it wouldn't influence the "real Wurm world"? If it's just for the fun of hunting (and not for getting insane FS) this would be most sufficient. Log in there, choose your gear, have a good time hunting! Maybe we'd need more critters there?

Hell, I'd even be ready to go hunting on a full PvP test server as long as it's just a copy of my char, and I'd not loose my real gear/ affinity in case I draw the short match ...

Imagine: A huge deed central on the test server. PvP disallowed, for tests of the farming and crafting mechanics. Outside the walls is sheer wilderness, full PvP and full of the worst nightmares our developers suffer from. Testing grounds for hunting.

Not only would this bring more ppl to the test server (as most welcome guinea pigs), it would also be a great opportunity to fight mighty and savage monsters. For the fun.

Like it? Good :) No? Ouch.

Maybe it's not the fun of hunting you're after, but more the numbers in your skill dump?

Well, then ...

Have fun!

And you cannot do this on your server anymore? Come to Independence. Vast empty areas there, and with a bit of luck you'll find what you're looking for. But as in real hunting - send out a scout at first to find a good place, then get your party ready, your carts hitched and venture out for the fun. We do this every other month, as soon as mining, crafting, farming & feeding all day long becomes too cumbersome again ...

Bump. I still want this..

Pfft, we have a hunting server already, just because its a "JK hunting server" with no point limit on the locals dosen't mean you have to make a new reservation for ya'll 

Get real everyone.  If a hunting only server were made, folks would quickly get tired of always having to travel there to hunt.  Some in this thread are already complaining of how they have to go to other servers to hunt, why would that change?  Even if you added tents, sleeping bags, etc. (which I highly doubt will happen), you still have to go home with your booty sometime.  After a very short time players would start asking to have deeds there, rather than travel.  The cry would come from new players too, who would not know why the server was created that way to begin with.  Lots of drama, and then Rolf would eventually make it like the other servers.  Why go through all that nonsense, and in the end have a server just like the rest?

• Like 1

Get real everyone.  If a hunting only server were made, folks would quickly get tired of always having to travel there to hunt.  Some in this thread are already complaining of how they have to go to other servers to hunt, why would that change?  Even if you added tents, sleeping bags, etc. (which I highly doubt will happen), you still have to go home with your booty sometime.  After a very short time players would start asking to have deeds there, rather than travel.  The cry would come from new players too, who would not know why the server was created that way to begin with.  Lots of drama, and then Rolf would eventually make it like the other servers.  Why go through all that nonsense, and in the end have a server just like the rest?

Hi,

No, can't do it on any of the existing servers really, there's no travel to a special place. Affliction was pretty packed with animals when I was playing on Epic, but a huge killing field of animals is not what I want.

My deed is on Indy, I have no one around me within around 200 tiles. Normally my Get Info is 60-90 animals. It's just not the same thing.

Don't understand. Usually you have 60 - 90 animals around your deed, what more do you want?

WoW like insta-respawn? Endless skill grinding?

Giving gains to main characters brings accomplishment, picking my gear and skills and killing a bunch of things for no reason sounds boring.

Ah, it's not about the hunting for fun, it's "for a reason" - measured in numerics I guess?

Yes you got me, I'm totally lying to trick Rolf into making me a fs grinder. I've never done a skill dump.

You never hitted F2 to show your skills? ORLY? This is the exact same as reading the text file in your wurm folder - a skill dump ...

As others have said if this isn't your thing, you wouldn't be forced to go. It would just be another option for the people who were so inclined.

As I have said over and over, this would change a lot in this game.

• For PvP, such a server would be a must-do, and it would rise the FS entry level of PvP radically.
  • For PvE, such a server would quickly lead to FS saturation among the old players, and to masses of such participants whining for more advanced monsters. And equally, when given, to another masses of whinings of not-so-old players about invincible monsters.
Think of what you ask for - you may actually get it!

Have fun!

Feels like a massive waste of money. No income from deeds, guards, traders... unrealistic

Edited by Judicator

As I have said over and over, this would change a lot in this game.

• For PvP, such a server would be a must-do, and it would rise the FS entry level of PvP radically.
  • For PvE, such a server would quickly lead to FS saturation among the old players, and to masses of such participants whining for more advanced monsters. And equally, when given, to another masses of whinings of not-so-old players about invincible monsters.
Think of what you ask for - you may actually get it!

Have fun!

PVP needs less stagnation anyway. If a hunting only server means that new and old players alike have the ability to gain FS quicker, then that means that they'll be more likely to jump into PVP because they've "caught up", right?

PVE needs harder (but not invincible) critters for the highly skilled fighters. Even though I (and many others) want that, I wouldn't want to put people that want to live in peace in jeopardy.... which is why I totally understand and accept the removal of Valrei creatures from the existing servers. BUT, if we were to have a place that was designated to hunt and away from those wanting peace, wouldn't everyone benefit then?

Edited by As_I_Decay

Can we get confirmation from Redbaron or another representative of the new council that this has been brought up in that board?

You know I'm really getting tired of us ranchers getting blamed for all your woes.

First off all the freaking sharks are taking up the animal spawns, NOT "hoarding".

Secondly roaming around the map looking for animals is a noob thing to do.  Head right for a steppe, ANY steppe, if you want to hunt.

This would be ridiculously easy to implement,

Make a relatively flat server exodus size.

Plant a deed at center that covers entire server and disable building.

Up the creature cap to something crazy.

Connect to East Exodus and/or NORTH AND SOUTH Chaos borders.

Bam. Only issue I see that might take longer than 2 hours is server hosting.

With Xanadu coming out i have changed my yes vote to a no. We dont need more servers.

With Xanadu coming out i have changed my yes vote to a no. We dont need more servers.

With Xanadu coming out, this thread was passed over. It's not going to come out. "Fixing" AI and creating Xanadu was Rolf's way of giving us places to hunt. 

The sad thing is, he still overlooks the animal keeping issue on every server. Indy will never be a viable server to hunt on again because over the years, too many mines and too many fences/deeds put up. Animals are continually spawning in the mines of trader deeds that nobody can access... or in the one of many abandoned deeds that have years of upkeep in their coffers. A single player keeps 50 or so horses around just for the AH skill. Etc.

And further sadness, if PVE wants anything challenging to fight, we still have to go over to Chaos to smack around a few Valrei.

My opinion: We asked for something and got something completely different from what we asked for. Typical Wurm suggestion implement.

• Like 1

With Xanadu coming out, this thread was passed over. It's not going to come out. "Fixing" AI and creating Xanadu was Rolf's way of giving us places to hunt. 

The sad thing is, he still overlooks the animal keeping issue on every server. Indy will never be a viable server to hunt on again because over the years, too many mines and too many fences/deeds put up. Animals are continually spawning in the mines of trader deeds that nobody can access... or in the one of many abandoned deeds that have years of upkeep in their coffers. A single player keeps 50 or so horses around just for the AH skill. Etc.

And further sadness, if PVE wants anything challenging to fight, we still have to go over to Chaos to smack around a few Valrei.

My opinion: We asked for something and got something completely different from what we asked for. Typical Wurm suggestion implement.

This is one myth I want to address.  There is no shortage of animals to hunt on Indy.  I live in the far NE of the server, and we have everything to hunt, if we just look around a bit, and don't have to look very far or very hard to find them.  Aggro animals do not go on deeds, nor do they spawn there.  The problem is with densly populated areas.  How do you expect wild animals to spawn when the area you are living in is full of deeds and players?  Players need to realize this and stop settling in close together.  Get away from each other, make space so there is room for spawning.

And right now, if you want skill, take a sailboat and go shark hunting, thousands of those around now.  They are easy to find, and don't hit hard, they just take a while to kill.  Now that is something Rolf may need to look at, as I see more and more sharks, which must be having an effect on the population on land.

Edited by Vroomfondel

This is one myth I want to address.  There is no shortage of animals to hunt on Indy.  I live in the far NE of the server, and we have everything to hunt, if we just look around a bit, and don't have to look very far or very hard to find them.  Aggro animals do not go on deeds, nor do they spawn there.  The problem is with densly populated areas.  How do you expect wild animals to spawn when the area you are living in is full of deeds and players?  Players need to realize this and stop settling in close together.  Get away from each other, make space so there is room for spawning.

And right now, if you want skill, take a sailboat and go shark hunting, thousands of those around now.  They are easy to find, and don't hit hard, they just take a while to kill.  Now that is something Rolf may need to look at, as I see more and more sharks, which must be having an effect on the population on land.

To be honest, Tenakill is about as remote as it gets, minus the areas around Roadside. :P

I live about as far from civilization as you can get, never see anybody in local and I have a hunting area that encompasses tens of thousands of tiles further into the mountains that receives zero hunting pressure (and no it's not mine in the sense that others can't use it, just nobody ever does).   I go once a week through there and will typically see 4 or 5 mobs, mostly crocs from a nearby spawn or troll king retinue that drift over the ridge into this valley.  It used to be much greater.

Sharks are one part of it,  they really need to be toned down or put on a separate limit but even in their absence Indy's animal population per tile is quite a bit less than other servers.  Part of that is square tile vs animal limit scaling, part of it is abandoned mines. 

As an example Indy has 4x the tiles of the other PvE servers with a max aggressive creature count of around 24K http://freedom001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/creatures.html, the other servers have have an average aggressive count of around 12K http://freedom003.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/creatures.html.  4x the tiles, 2x the mobs.   Same with Wild, 4x the tiles, 2x the creatures.   It's pretty much always been this way.

Edited by belthize