Sign in to follow this  
Xallo

Hunting Server

Hunting Server  

523 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Hunting Server added?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care / Doesn't Effect Me

Arkonick, I've been gaming over the internet since the 1980's when I was a student at Florida State University typing in room descriptions and clues and item descriptions and triggers for sandbox text-based games played from mainframe terminals :)

There are three basic types of games. Themeparks where everything is spelled out for you. Sandboxes where you do pretty much whatever you want within a set of guidelines, or some sort of mix of the two.

Generally the games that try to mix the two fail. Completely.

That's because they mix them on the same server. What I suggested was to make it separate but available to those who enjoy it. This don't mean you have to go to it just because it's there. You could Ignore it like the plague like I do Chaos and Epic. Them 2 servers are none of my game style it being on it's own server keeps it away from me and causes me a paying Wurm fan coming back and subbing every month I own 3 Premium account's and 3 deeds and shell out funds every month for online silver to the wurm shop to support the game.

My suggestion wouldn't mess with your game play at all not one bit of it would interfere with your gaming cause the only way to see it would be to travel there. Your Logic is not logical your argument to dismount my idea has no water to hold ground. So I will ask you what is so bad with the idea? Do you have any ground's other than in your opinion they don't mix and that's why the game's fail? It is your opinion and no facts to back it up.

I'm not flaming or trolling just when you go to slander a post please use the words In my opinion I don't think it would be a good idea. That's all it is in the first place your opinion.

I do typically use "IMHO" or "AFAIK" when I believe it's possible that I'm incorrect.

So are we planning on opening a sandbox hunting server and a themepark hunting server? I'm not really OK with that, but if Rolf wants to try it that's great.

However I would like you to take a look at the interactive content that we do have in the game, the tutorial. While it is OK, from what I've heard, it's severely lacking. Wurm has no content designers with experience designing themepark games. If you are going to do it, do it right, and if you are going to do it right you need someone with a proven track record of doing themepark content right.

Do we have that? I don't think so.

You might be right they don't have themepark exp but did anyone when they first started doing it? No and IMO those have done got it wrong. Who's to say These small group of guys wouldn't get it right and change the way we play mmo's for the next generations to come.

You can't test or try what does not exist. Trying it out it being on a separate server if it fails it's a simple fix get ride of the server seeing it doesn't interfere with the other servers nothing would be lost. But! just but... what if! it and what they do on it change the history of mmo gaming? If they never give it a shot they will never know.

Remember Everquest hit the world by storm and it had less than wurm mechanic wise and had really no theme park what so ever it really didn't develop theme park till later on. It was a basic grab quest find mob kill mob grind to max level game style that took the world by storm which birth others like wow all the way down the line to this day.

You might be right they don't have themepark exp but did anyone when they first started doing it? No and IMO those have done got it wrong. Who's to say These small group of guys wouldn't get it right and change the way we play mmo's for the next generations to come.

You can't test or try what does not exist. Trying it out it being on a separate server if it fails it's a simple fix get ride of the server seeing it doesn't interfere with the other servers nothing would be lost. But! just but... what if! it and what they do on it change the history of mmo gaming? If they never give it a shot they will never know.

Remember Everquest hit the world by storm and it had less than wurm mechanic wise and had really no theme park what so ever it really didn't develop theme park till later on. It was a basic grab quest find mob kill mob grind to max level game style that took the world by storm which birth others like wow all the way down the line to this day.

This is where we differ hugely. The way I see it, Everquest has always been a themepark game. From beginning to end. You believe it was not a theme park in the early stages, but has become a themepark. Everquest's very name clearly indicates (to me) that it has always been a themepark game. Almost every single piece of high end equipment in the game has come from questing or boss kills after a themepark adventure in a dungeon.

There's nothing inherently "wrong" with themepark games. However when you mix significant aspects of both themepark and sandbox elements in a game, you end up with a sticky nasty mess that nobody wants to touch. Can you name to me an MMO game which has successfully combined significant aspects of themepark gaming with sandbox gaming?

There is none and the reason why there is none is simply because every company trying to mix them slam the themepark in the same server with the sandbox. This idea here is to have that themepark on it's own server and if anyone wanted to go there could. This is where we also see differently. You see it just adding it you think it will kill wurm from the way you speak. Me on the other hand I say it being separate a server we can sail to and do it keeps it separated as if you are playing 2 different type of game's, Which I might add has never been done in the history of mmo gaming. All companies have mixed the content of both on 1 server and then made separate pve/pvp server's.

How I see it in wurm that's if rolf even decides to take a look at it if they ever get time to with all that they have on there plate at this current time.

Deliverance

Independence

Epic

Exodus

Celebration

Elevation

Affliction

Desertion

Serenity

Release

the other new server I don't rem off hand

Hunter Server

Quest server

This is how I see it. Every thing separate and any one from any of the other servers can travel to either of them last 2 and do what is allowed on them fully keeping each in it's own content and away from the true sandbox.

This is where we differ hugely. The way I see it, Everquest has always been a themepark game. From beginning to end. You believe it was not a theme park in the early stages, but has become a themepark. Everquest's very name clearly indicates (to me) that it has always been a themepark game. Almost every single piece of high end equipment in the game has come from questing or boss kills after a themepark adventure in a dungeon.

There's nothing inherently "wrong" with themepark games. However when you mix significant aspects of both themepark and sandbox elements in a game, you end up with a sticky nasty mess that nobody wants to touch. Can you name to me an MMO game which has successfully combined significant aspects of themepark gaming with sandbox gaming?

Star wars galaxies.

originally, it was mostly sandbox with the optional pvp elements wrapped in a theme park shell. While the system had its issues, this was a part of the game i feel they did right.

Just want to say one last thing dealing with sandbox and themepark. Epic server with it's god's and game play system is part themepark. Why? the min a god system was added it became themepark also the min a diety system was added it had themepark elements. How many players love Epic? I think a lot of players love epic. The only problem I personally see wrong with epic is it's pvp which I don't like pvp in my mmo.

I personally love pvp in FPS games but have never liked it in my mmo's, but to have a true pve server with god's like epic and a true player verses environment setting wurm would get a even bigger fan base. Wurm has the system already in place and if it would branch off in a new server with full pve mob's along side the diety system it has now filled with quest and battles and raids in a pure pve setting with out pvp wurm would get a bigger fan base.

From what I gather from Rolf when he spoke about what was planned for EPIC imo it sounds like they are in the right direction mixing themepark with sandbox. The big problem with Wurm right now is it develops slow and the main reason is small development team and I personally think this is do to the lack of funds. Remember wurm don't have 1 million paying customer's with a fee of 15.00 bucks a month it has less than 7 thousand players with a smaller fee of 5.00 bucks a month and a percent of the 7000 players are ftp paying no fee and another percent is players like me having multiple account's and even triple account's like me so 3 of the 7000 account's reported is me taking that number down to 6997 and if you do the math of all the other players having multiple account's the number gets smaller.

I know a ton of people think Rolf is rolling in money from wurm but they would be wrong. They don't understand the money it cost, to pay for the office they work in,the dev's on the team,the light bill, the server's and the maintenance on them servers brings fund down even more. So most of the idea's I will have people will hate but what I'm personally striving for is a bigger fan base of paying customer's for a bigger revenue so wurm can have a bigger dev team and a more smoother development.

See most games stick all this in one server then they make multiple servers of the same thing to hold a fan base and you can't move from server to server. Here Rolf has made multiple server's to hold the core of wurm's fan base. Then he made a pvp server and a epic server all which you can travel to unlike other mmo's. We can sail or portal over to these at will then return home when we have had our fill of them. Adding a Hunting server and a Quest server only adds to the fan base and doesn't kill any aspect of wurm. The system Rolf has allows the player to choose their content and that system I would never change.

So do I think Rolf should eventually create a Hunting server and a Quest server? Yes when they have time and the fund's allow it yes I think he should. This is My Personal Opinion.

If something like this gets added these things must be in:

1. No deeds in any form whatsoever other than a single starting town

2. No traders/merchants in any form

3. Increased creature count

4. Increased creature bashing

5. Only aggressive animals other than horses and a few others

6. Higher decay

7. Respawning uniques

8. Sharks and sea serpents at the border that respawn

9. More variety of creatures

10. More special types of creatures like champions

11. More lairs

12. Placed west of chaos or east of all the other servers

13. Server size of chaos/independence

14. Only accessible by sailing

15. Either premium only or only for people for over 24hour of playtime and 50fs+ (this way no newbies will get there by accident and get killed and they know its very dangerous)

16. Increased creature movement

17. Lots of steppes and tundras

Optional:

1. No buildings or terraforming

2. No guard towers

3. Remove the cap of 70 for sub fighting skill like normal fighting etc... (NOT OVERALL FIGHTING)

Overall it should be ONLY for hunting and killing creatures. No deeds no penning up of animals or anything like that and VERY dangerous not for newbies but rather for veterans and other players who want a real challenge or grinding up for chaos. Also a proper warning should be placed when you cross over.

Edited by atazs

-1 to Arkonick's idea

Really... theme park games are dyeing out. And about time. Ever since 2003 there really hasnt been to many games I saw worth while wasting my time on playing. Theme park needs to finally dye or understand to balance theme with freedom. Hand holding needs to end. The day of mindless gaming had its run, please no more...

@topic

Sounds like a I was a place to stock up meat and haul back thing, And seeing that players want uniques to respawn, better be lootless or trash em

Edited by Ronnie

[...]

15. Either premium only or only for people for over 24hour of playtime and 50fs+ (this way no newbies will get there by accident and get killed and they know its very dangerous)

[...]

Overall it should be ONLY for hunting and killing creatures. No deeds no penning up of animals or anything like that and VERY dangerous not for newbies but rather for veterans and other players who want a real challenge or grinding up for chaos. Also a proper warning should be placed when you cross over.

No deeds, No building, only hunting and killing....yes!

Make one spawn deed near the shore for people to dock at and respawn when they die.

No deeds, No building, only hunting and killing....yes!

Make one spawn deed near the shore for people to dock at and respawn when they die.

Xallo, I am very impressed with your post. At first I was thinking no. just before I read it I started to think "but they wont be able to bring animals back... so i guess it could work" After reading your post I agree 100%. Very well written and thought out.

+1

-1 to Arkonick's idea

Really... theme park games are dyeing out. And about time. Ever since 2003 there really hasnt been to many games I saw worth while wasting my time on playing. Theme park needs to finally dye or understand to balance theme with freedom. Hand holding needs to end. The day of mindless gaming had its run, please no more...

@topic

Sounds like a I was a place to stock up meat and haul back thing, And seeing that players want uniques to respawn, better be lootless or trash em

Hi,

No reason to hold back development and player enjoyment to protect the "market" (AKA random dude trying to sell a barrel full of animal parts he picked up from butchered corpses on the highway)

• Like 1

Its not like I haven't already participated in dragon killings where I knew I wasn't getting loot. :D:lol::angry:

Well if you're on or going to be on Indy, there is this hunt event being planned, seems like those aggro spawns everyone says are hard to find are all in the Great Steppes area, and a concern for some of the folks.. unless trolls don't count to those hunters "just wanting aggro spawns for FS" lol.

::Edit insert::

Yes I know trolls are slow FS gain for the trouble to kill them, but the repeated comments on FS "hunters" is they can't find aggro spawns.

So is it you can't find aggros to hunt, or you can't find easy/high FS gain aggros to hunt?

Personally though, I'd be up for a hunting server where the only thing you can bring back is your skill gain. Spawn anything and everything on that isle and let those who want to go FS hunting do so. Would also be a way to give the devs a new test bed on the live grouping to see how animals (new or old) behave and how players tackle them.

Edited by Hussars

The thing I really like about this suggestion is that it would alleviate any justification for increasing or even maintaining the current abundance of aggros on the other PvE servers, so I am for having a server like this made available. Now if this was done, it would in turn lead to the need and justification for creating another server without any aggros on it whatsoever, so that those who don't want to deal with any aggros will have the same opportunity to have a server dedicated to that concept as those who want to have a server dedicated to the opposite concept that the OP has suggested here.

Turnabout is fair play, eh?

=Ayes=

well the hunting server would have some none aggros , what was suggested was none aggros like horses (to help hunters with a temporary mount) and im thinking unicorns too, just for killing sake

Xandra why do you need 70fs+ on freedom? As far as i know(and you said this before) you have no interest in PvP.

only for the case it would be implemented I'd charge fees for it
Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

Xandra why do you need 70fs+ on freedom? As far as i know(and you said this before) you have no interest in PvP.

Yes it should be premium only.