Sign in to follow this  
Xallo

Hunting Server

Hunting Server  

523 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Hunting Server added?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care / Doesn't Effect Me

In layman's terms, you should give a little to get a little.

The extra risk does not have to be from players, but rather the environment. The lack of safety (no deeds, gatehouses, mines) should be plenty of a risk for a lot of people without the possible annoyance of dying to someone who's just eager for easy kills on non-PvP'ing accounts.

The reward is no greater than the animal you kill. You shouldn't except to lose all of your stuff to a player if you simply want to go hunting.

• Like 1

The greater reward would be a server where players can't hoard animals therefore keeping the hunting pristine and abundant.

I agree that the extra risk does not have to come from players and your suggestion is not a bad suggestion at all.

The point I was trying to make was that greater rewards should come at a cost. I myself am not a good fighter but even when Celebration first opened, hunting was not particularly dangerous. In fact, the only hostile mobs which I feared (and still do) are raging, greenish and champion trolls but they are very uncommon.

Having said that, I still think that players should look into hunting on the existing servers especially Chaos. You're not forced to participate in PVP, if you're not part of deed that is at war with anyone then you'll be listed as Neutral, very seldom do players ever encounter others in quiet areas of the map and staying within your alliance's borders (far from the front line) is generally very safe.

Edited by RomaN

I say yes, but only if roads can be made.

Make it the size of the newer smaller maps, one single hulking continent, have it reachable by all serves by sailing in a unified direction (like east or something), and allow players to crisscross it with landmarks like roads, signs/lamps, and other terraforming projects.

Oh, and how would people feel about clustered/aggro for AI, and respawning uniques?

God knows I'd like to finally get my chance to fight a unique, even if they respawn every 10 wurm years... but a cool addition would be having areas tend to spawn the same kinds of creature lairs, and the mobs spawned from each lair be more abundant in number, and aid each other in battle. There's your added risk.

Edited by GTwander

Sure why not. I also like the opposite scenario. A no aggro server but we could live on that one.

If something like this is done, I'd like to see it along the lines of what Canoe Sandie suggested in another thread. Include Dragons. You could also increase the spawn of things that scare Roman :) , as they would likely scare/challenge most people!

I'd rather see it be sailed to rather than a portal. I just like the more organic nature of packing one's boat and heading out for an adventure.

I'd really like to not see roads on this type of server. It would be nice to keep it completely nature's domain. I don't know why I have such a strange aversion to roads :lol: .

In terms of monetizing it, if it keeps the interest of older players then it would have monetary value (I think). GV has no deeds, but serves the financial purpose of introducing people to the game in an effort to keep them. This would be like GV but at the other end of the spectrum. Premium only would be a good idea if only to limit the number of storage alts people might bring along. If a new player wants to tag along and see the crazy monstrous land... not sure. Guess they could perhaps premium for one month and maybe they'll choose to keep it.

I wouldn't attach it to Independence as that is pretty far to the north for most servers. I'd feel a bit biased to suggest east of Deli, since I live on Deli and can access the east pretty easily.

I'm really tempted to say west of Chaos. Would a freedomer be able to cross the Chaos ocean safely so long as they don't attempt to dock somewhere?

The benefit of this would be increased traffic past Chaos. It would increase trade as people go by. It might encourage some freedom dwellers to stop by the coast and meet some of the barbari... err, pvpers :P .

It would give a chance for the Chaotic to hone their fighting skill without necessarily risking losing everything they have on them, which might be welcomed by newer players.

Those from Chaos with very high fight skill might even want to lead/guide expeditions on these dangerous lands.

I would then, whenever is the appropriate time this century, connect Pristine to the south of this new hunting server. By then it might be time for a new freedom server which I would attach east of Release, west of Celebration, connecting those two servers.

Edit: Also, might increase the value of large ships that can carry the needed number of people, and with no storage alts the larger cargo capacity make be very useful?

Edited by Reylaark
  • Like 1

This is a very good idea.

I would allow a small outpost dock area just to give it a more real life feel, one or two public buildings but no guards, players would have to keep the dock area clear of nasties, first steps on this new wild server.

This would give an area for groups to meet ready to travel inland together, to make a more social side of hunting.

How about having "tribes" living on the server, so non pvper's can get the feel for attacking other humans, these could drop new items and give a reason to explore the new server and not just skirt around the edges where it maybe safer, so players can group up and go explore deep into the wild, you could make the server a more jungle area to give it a complete new feel.

Allow two ways to travel, by player boats and maybe by a paid for portal? Maybe a new npc at the starter towns can transport you there for a fee? To give the players without access to a boat a chance to see the new server. The you have a choice quick travel and can only take what you can carry or take a ship to hunt for new supplies.

so much you could do with a server like this, you could even make missions ( simple things like bringing building suppiles to build the outpost before the npc will portal players there so you have to go by boat at first ).

Lots of pro's and cant really think of any downside. More choices on the way the players can play the game is only better, this takes away the need for large areas of deeded land on the normal servers just to have hunting parks, frees up more land for new players.

I hasn't even travel to all indenpendence and I don't see why you say there is nothing to hunt. I know more than five places where mobs are abundant and dangerous. Found a deer twice and a cow once too. Here is one for you: the grand steepe.

Edited by rosedragon

I hasn't even travel to all indenpendence and I don't see why you say there is nothing to hunt. I know more than five places where mobs are abundant and dangerous. Found a deer twice and a cow once too. Here is one for you: the grand steepe.

I encounter a great many things on Deli that can kill me and provide a lot of challenge, but then again, most things can kill me.

I see this as more of a long-term veteran player problem... I likely won't encounter any issue finding things that put my life at risk for a long time, but I think player retention for those that have been around is always something worth looking into.

My plan for a hunting server would basically be to push my neighbors out in front of me, and spam the applaud emote.

The biggest reason we need this added is for PVE. We simply do not have any challenges that can even be considered PVE despite the fact we call them that. Having the seperate serve ensures that 2 sets of people can be happy. The people who are looking for some challenge from stronger than current mobs and the people who do not want to be afraid to step off deed because the mobs are tougher. It is win win.

There doesnt have to be a charge for gods sake. Making it a premium only server and keeping the customer base happy enough to continue their monthly subscription is Rolfs reward. You people are aware that each game server isnt using 1 actual server all by itself right? Im guessing thats why the smaller servers are more attractive to Rolf. Can run a few on each machine.

• Like 2

Can run a few on each machine.

You should write science fiction! These servers are huge man, here's Zcul and Rolf checking the server code:

Computer.jpg

Next you're gonna tell me you have a phonograph in your pocket.

You could even allow building on the 'hunting server' really. Just disable deed guards and towers. ~~ heck I would move to something like this just because it would be less npcs. (hate npcs sooooo much)

Would be nice to have some servers be meaner than others, on a scale kinda like this:

Non-Agro server (same mobs, but they are chill) ~~ never need FS here

Regular server (this is now) ~~ same as now

Hunting server (much higher rate of upper-power critters, agro cap percentage much higher, mobs move more often and farther, agro ranges increased)~~ under 70 FS your gonna have a bad day

Edited by Elen

If such a hunting server was to be implemented, I see no reason to have GM run towns or deeds of any type, travel there, do your hunting and either log off, or travel back. No need for any structures at all - especially if you sail to it (portals would require some kind of defense for arrivals in case they spawn under a champ troll).

I would also disagree with GV being the place to have it (though a GV sized server would be fine) due to GV also being the log-in server and leaving that with as little strain as possible can only be a good thing. I also prefer keeping any 'noise' out while people are heading through the tutorial - to be honest, I'd like it if gl-Freedom didn't appear on GV. We can't type in to it from there anyway, so all it does is distract and confuse.

If you consider 10 scorpions, a few spiders, a couple crocodiles, and a deer good hunting, sure go try out the Grand Steppe.

I was just over there last night, as well as the Eastern Steppe and Tundra - maybe 20 spiders at most from all of these places combined. The Northern Tundra was extremely disappointing with only 1 spider and 1 cave bug on the entire Tundra - an area that had always been previously designed for hunting. Compare the old server Tundras and Steppes to Pristine and Release's, it's so very obvious Rolf designated these areas for great hunting, but there is absolutely none on the older servers.

If you consider that a lot of hunting, or anywhere near dangerous, I'm sorry but it's not. I'd like to think of hunting as finding a mixture of animals every 10 tiles or so that would love to rip me apart, not huge open grasslands with only a spider or two per local range. It's very unappealing to run through an entire area made for hunting to find only a couple of spiders, as well as a couple of huge pens with 50 hell horses in them each.

All I'm proposing is a fun server for veterans and new premium players alike who would like to explore an untouched and untamed wilderness, which I don't think is too much to ask for.

Edited by Xallo

-- nevermind

Edited by Elen

If such a hunting server was to be implemented, I see no reason to have GM run towns or deeds of any type, travel there, do your hunting and either log off, or travel back.

I agree with this, we would be there to hunt not gain SB. Although, part of me would like to see a small walled area named Rolfland Hunting Preserve or somesuch, it could serve as the main docking point, respawn point, and only server landmark.

It should not be premium only, the fact that you can only get there by crossing server boundries already means you had a premum with you. Also anyone having less than 70FS is going to have severe problems (even with 70+ going to have problems) should deter people. To make money, perhaps we have to purchase a "hunting token" from the afore mentioned preserve or our home server traders.

Wide open, uninhabited, and deadly. No general chat so no one whines about needing help finding their body. No building, no mining, no digging, only hunting.

Edited by Pollo

If you consider 10 scorpions, a few spiders, a couple crocodiles, and a deer good hunting, sure go try out the Grand Steppe.

If you consider that a lot of hunting, or anywhere near dangerous, I'm sorry but it's not.

It's all relative, I mean for me what you're describing isn't necessarily great hunting, it's a nightmare. It's beyond dangerous for me, I might as well run really really fast towards a cliff, and not turn. That would probably be less painful actually.

This is why I consider it more of a veteran problem, you need to have been around a while to get to the point where what you're describing is not a challenge. I place no less or more importance to it by calling it that. It's more to point out to people who don't see a problem, why they might not see a problem. What may seem like a grand feast to us may just be an appetizer for you, just as what you consider a grand feast I would consider pure hell in a bucket.

It's very unappealing to run through an entire area made for hunting to find only a couple of spiders

Just curious about the "made for hunting" comment. Not going to debate whether or not those areas actually were, I'm more interested in what this means for the type of server you are envisioning.

I'm imagining a server with terrain and landscape just as varied and diverse as any other server. Hunting while crawling around a forest with bow in hand and a knife between your teeth might be more appealing to me than a wide open tundra. Would be nice to have a mix.

Thoughts?

Edit:

It should not be premium only, the fact that you can only get there by crossing server boundries already means you had a premum with you. Also anyone having less than 70FS is going to have severe problems (even with 70+ going to have problems) should deter people.

My primary reason for liking premium only is to avoid alts.

Edited by Reylaark

I only mentioned the Tundras and Steppes as examples of sites that should have great hunting, but sadly don't.

I'd love to see all sorts of landscapes and biomes, with rivers, valleys, huge forests, deserts, mountains, tundras, and steppes. It would be nice if most of it was rideable by horse, but at the same time, no huge flat-only grassland server. The sever would showcase the wonderful environment that Wurm offers, and I think it would be a great example of how much player interaction can change an environment by comparing it to other existing servers.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 1

Wooaaah, two deer and one cow! That's massive hunting right there. I'm sorry, but the fact that you mention three animals like a miracle, that illustrates how bad the situation is.

The grand steppe had maybe 5-6 bugs and a lot of fenced in hellhorses (yay) the northeast and east tundras had no more than a handful of spiders. The east steppe a couple of lions. Travelling between these places there was a couple of unicorns and spiders, but all in all this was no more than 50 animals combined, and considering the amount of time spent traveling between places its hardly worth calling 'hunting'. It is some animals sure, but when I go 'hunting' I hope to burn through tons of cotton, bring home dozens of hides and seriously reduce my shield and weapon ql :P

Uniques. Yes, I like it. Don't spawn them all at once, spawn one or two at a time. Random ones, and occasionally a random one respawns. Don't spawn them anymore on new servers! That will stop the rush the new server stuff, and occasionally respawning ensures that everyone gets a chance sometimes. And with no building, there's no penning :)

• Like 4

You should write science fiction! These servers are huge man, here's Zcul and Rolf checking the server code:

Computer.jpg

Next you're gonna tell me you have a phonograph in your pocket.

If any of the servers run on one box imma put my money on it being Indy and Chaos but I am fairly sure they share a box also. When i have toons on epic,chaos,Indy at the same time Indy and Chaos always share lag spike when the one on Epic doesnt. I still will bet each server runs 2-4 of the smaller game servers. You can also usually see when groups of servers go down at once.

• Like 1

I think a server like this would be great. It would also be a great area to test things like goblin and troll villages, something I belive Rolf eventually wants to add to the game. Just imagine a server full of wilderness with several big goblin/troll tribes that would take entire groups of players to take out. Probably with troll and goblin king mobs as the leaders of each of those tribes. They would of course respawn every now and then and the longer they exist the stronger they become.

It's stuff like that that Wurm is currently missing, adding it would greatly improve the PvE side of the game but adding tribes like that is really hard on servers that have a ton of deeds (especially considering how densly populated many of them are), while servers of pure wilderness would be absolutely perfect for it.

• Like 2

As i see it, allow just houses (no fences of any kind) and limit the size and number per player, so, no deed, 1 writ per player, 20 tiles max size. In that way you can have a place to stay and store stuff with the same decay protection of any off deed house in the rest of the servers.

Also no guard towers allowed.

+1 for Hunting Server, would like to see... a Hunting grounds and a FS training grounds all in one.

2048 server connected to Freedom Isles located on shore nearest rest of cluster, normal topography, No PvP at all possible, PvE rule set. Let us get good FS first on this server and then we can go to Epic and Chaos and put our training to use, on a server already made for PvP. Get there by Ship and by Portal... no transit route through PvP areas at all please.

One Spawn Deed (non-starting), small size with NO Spirit Templars, this deed needed only as a respawn point when we die on the server, which we will. besides the one token allow Players to moor their ships here, maybe a one tile wide pier for loading ships (all that needed imo). No roads needed EVER on this server.

No Player Deeds, No Planning of Buildings, no Fences, No Mine doors. Everything else in PvE ruleset goes as long as the Server stays a wilderness dedicated to Hunting and FS gain and does not become just another PvE server.

Within 250 tiles of spawn deed token dramatically and artificially INCREASE the number of "low level mobs" lairs to create a training ground for players with little to no FS. This area close to spawn will allow many Players that have not hunted much to get FS up above 20-30. Rest of Server set the mob lairs and spawnpoints as normal variety, just increase the number of mobs for the whole server bu 2 to 3 times normal..... since there won't be any player made items or buildings to clog up the Database this perhaps is possible.

That would do it. Even I would spend copious amouts of time on a server like this.... as long as there is a wide range of mobs according to difficulty so I wouldn't feel I was wasting my time as a low FS level or a high FS level Player. Grinding FS in Wurm sucks, but a dedicated high mob population server might just fill a need we Players have had for a long time.

Edited by Kyrmius

I don't think houses would be a good idea, as the idea of the server is to be strictly a hunting server, not a liveable server. The only thing I could see in the future for this kind of server, as far as gaining sleep bonus is concerned, is the ability to pitch tents and roll out sleeping bags, but it shouldn't be as effective as a bed. With that being added, a way to make food for hunting sounds good. Make it possible to create kindling out of branches so you can make a campfire to cook your meals in.

As someone mentioned earlier, it would add value to larger boats as you could transport a mass quantity of meats, hides, and pelts. It would open up a new trade window for people who want to supply bulk meats and other animal produce.

Perhaps if anything, you can bring an unfinished large cart + nail to make a cart with, but other than that, no building allowed. You shouldn't be able to dig, cut trees, or even mine. The server is strictly for hunting, and it should not house any permanent residents. Allowing people to store things in houses already brings up the possibility for people to live on it

Edited by Xallo

I do think this is a great idea, how ever, wasnt exodus supposed to be the "dangerous server"? I know its little more than a kitten now, but?

• Like 1